LED light notifications

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I really love the LED light notification, it allows me to give my phone a quick glance and see if I get a new e-mail, text message, twidroid post, missed call, etc...What I noticed is that if I get a new e-mail (blinks green), then get a twidroid update notification (blinks blue) it never blinks green again. It's not a really big deal but if I get a missed call (blinks red) then get a twidroid update right after...I'm not really going to know I got a missed call until I turn on the device. I was wondering if there was a way to make the LED notification light alternate blinking, like blink red then blink blue. That way I know I got a missed call and can respond to it right away rather than ignoring it because I think it's just a twidroid update. Anyone know of a way to do this?

Also, I'm still on my quest to find a protective pouch for my droid (my old iPod video case is starting to fall apart, and I want something a little more protective). I've seen the Sena Elega (I like it but hate the little belt clip, I put my phone in my pocket), I like the Sena Kutu (but it looks kinda flimsy) also none of these come for the droid but heard the iPhone version still fits it nicely. Anyone know of a combination of the two, that maybe also allows me to see the LED light? Appreciate any help!

Last edited:

uscjoel

Reaction score
what app are you using to change the LED color? Im looking for an app that allows you to just change colors.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i don't recall seeing an app that just changes the LED colors. I use handcent, so i just change my colors for texts.

OP
JonKyu

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
i don't recall seeing an app that just changes the LED colors. I use handcent, so i just change my colors for texts.

It's called "missed call" in the market right now the selection is a bit limited but you can change the color of the LED light notification and it's freeeeee... really love maybe I could contact the developer and see if it would be possible to code into the app somehow.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Missed Call app lets you change LED colors, rings ect for various actions/notifications. It's supposed to let you change the LED duration(s) but that doesn't work for the Droid yet. But it's still functional.

NickWgnr

Reaction score
The missed call app allows you to change the LED color for calls/texts.

Wagner :motdroidvert:

Shad0w325

Reaction score
Is the LED light supposed to blink red after a missed call by default or do you have a separate application? I get a notification in the bar, but there is no light.

uscjoel

Reaction score
Is the LED light supposed to blink red after a missed call by default or do you have a separate application? I get a notification in the bar, but there is no light.

No, it doesnt blink red...you have to either get handcent or missed call to change colors. I didnt really like handcent because I like my msg's the way they are set up currently.

...Thanks I'll check out missed call.

OP
JonKyu

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

It's called "missed call" in the market right now the selection is a bit limited but you can change the color of the LED light notification and it's freeeeee... really love maybe I could contact the developer and see if it would be possible to code into the app somehow.

The missed call app allows you to change the LED color for calls/texts.

Wagner :motdroidvert:

No, it doesnt blink red...you have to either get handcent or missed call to change colors. I didnt really like handcent because I like my msg's the way they are set up currently.

...Thanks I'll check out missed call.[/QUOTE]

does that answer your question? ;)

Edit: ok wtf, I give up! editing on swype sucks majors ballz (or maybe its editing on android that sucks :/)

Last edited:

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Edit: ok wtf, I give up! editing on swype sucks majors ballz (or maybe its editing on android that sucks :/)

It's still a beta (actually not even an 'officially release' beta) so stop your complaining, lol:). But I do agree, there are several times/instances where the swype interface is less than functional. But that should change once Swpye looks to actually support the Android platform.

There is an alternative called ShapeWriter (essentially the same thing) that is VERY popular on the iPhone store but has mixed reviews on the Droid (but again, it's an early version on the Droid).

Mongoose

Reaction score

It's still a beta (actually not even an 'officially release' beta) so stop your complaining, lol:). But I do agree, there are several times/instances where the swype interface is less than functional. But that should change once Swpye looks to actually support the Android platform.

There is an alternative called ShapeWriter (essentially the same thing) that is VERY popular on the iPhone store but has mixed reviews on the Droid (but again, it's an early version on the Droid).

Strange..been using Swype for several days now...I do my best to generate lengthy SMS/MMs/emails so I can put the program through it's paces. I had one day where my messages didn't go through the way I had entered and proofed them. That was a few days ago. I haven't experienced ANY issues since then. I love Swype and have every intention of purchasing it as soon as it's commercially available...but I'm wondering what type of problems you guys are experiencing. On my end, I think it was glitch somewhere in the VzN transmission/reception system and not necessarily the program because I also experienced the problem with the DROID SMS/MMS/email text transmissions. Thats just my gut talking...I actually don't know if such a thing is possible or not...:icon_ devil:

OP
JonKyu

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

Ha ha lol I know, not sure if swype will be available on the market though. I think what bothers me most us how difficult it is to select text in android vs the dressed other device up will not mention.lol

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Strange..been using Swype for several days now...I do my best to generate lengthy SMS/MMs/emails so I can put the program through it's paces. I had one day where my messages didn't go through the way I had entered and proofed them. That was a few days ago. I haven't experienced ANY issues since then. I love Swype and have every intention of purchasing it as soon as it's commercially available...but I'm wondering what type of problems you guys are experiencing. On my end, I think it was glitch somewhere in the VzN transmission/reception system and not necessarily the program because I also experienced the problem with the DROID SMS/MMS/email text transmissions. Thats just my gut talking...I actually don't know if such a thing is possible or not...:icon_ devil:

Length and transmission isn't really the issue(s). But when/if you do complicated forms and such the Swype interface becomes a real pain. It doesn't allow you to 'hide' the keyboard like the standard default QWERTY. Also because it lacks any sort of directional pad it can be a real PIA to edit text (at least for those of use with large fingers) as 'pointing' the cursor isn't very accurate. Overall I'm happy with it (haven't tried the ShapeWriter yet) but there are some annoyances that need to be addressed before it is ready for release.

Oh, and you WON"T be able to 'purchase' it... Swype has no plans to release to consumers (i.e. via marketplace) they are taking the route of OEM supplier so we will likely NOT be getting it. That's were the ShapeWriter comes in. They are going after the consumer directly and have been very successful on iPhone store. The two programs/companies are essentially the same thing. Both borrowing/stealing R&D from IBM and others back in the 90's so it's more a question of who gets what market share. Look for ShapeWriter likely getting Android, iPhone and BlackBerry (platforms the support/urge end user purchases) and look for Swype on WM and other Manufacture-OS devices (Nokia ect.).

OP
JonKyu

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

Length and transmission isn't really the issue(s). But when/if you do complicated forms and such the Swype interface becomes a real pain. It doesn't allow you to 'hide' the keyboard like the standard default QWERTY. Also because it lacks any sort of directional pad it can be a real PIA to edit text (at least for those of use with large fingers) as 'pointing' the cursor isn't very accurate. Overall I'm happy with it (haven't tried the ShapeWriter yet) but there are some annoyances that need to be addressed before it is ready for release.

Oh, and you WON"T be able to 'purchase' it... Swype has no plans to release to consumers (i.e. via marketplace) they are taking the route of OEM supplier so we will likely NOT be getting it. That's were the ShapeWriter comes in. They are going after the consumer directly and have been very successful on iPhone store. The two programs/companies are essentially the same thing. Both borrowing/stealing R&D from IBM and others back in the 90's so it's more a question of who gets what market share. Look for ShapeWriter likely getting Android, iPhone and BlackBerry (platforms the support/urge end user purchases) and look for Swype on WM and other Manufacture-OS devices (Nokia ect.).
you can hide the key board by pressing the back button. there is an edit mode with a directional pad but its hidden two three taps hidden, It's a pain to get to.

jefbystereo

Reaction score
How did this turn into a swype discussion? I also would love if missed call or 2.1 incorporated alternating lights. If I have more than one type of notification, it just shows one color, instead of the purple, blue, red, etc that I all have missed.