Launcher Pro - How to remove Launcher2 from the system?

EnJoY

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm using Launcher Pro and one of the recommendations people give when using alternative launchers to improve performance is to uninstall any other launchers. I tried deleting the Launcher2 apk in Astro as others have suggested, but it doesn't seem to want to delete.

Is there a set of scripts I can run to remove Launcher2 from Sapphire 1.0?

Thanks for the help guys.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm using Launcher Pro and one of the recommendations people give when using alternative launchers to improve performance is to uninstall any other launchers. I tried deleting the Launcher2 apk in Astro as others have suggested, but it doesn't seem to want to delete.

Is there a set of scripts I can run to remove Launcher2 from Sapphire 1.0?

Thanks for the help guys.

su
sysrw
rm /system/app/Launcher2.apk
sysro

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You can't do it from Astro. It won't recognize root access. Do you have Root Explorer? That would work.

However, I wouldn't recommend uninstalling the default launcher. Mainly because if there is ever a a problem with Launcher Pro and somehow its gets uninstalled, you'll be up the creek without a paddle.
Removing other launchers may help, but the stock launcher has never caused any ill-effects on performance. If it's not being used, it's not sitting in memory. The only benefit of deleting the stock launcher would be to save room in /system/app folder.

Somone else please correct me if I'm wrong.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Whether or not you want to, I believe you can do it thru dev tools, terminal with rmapk ...

OP
E

EnJoY

Reaction score
su
sysrw
rm /system/app/Launcher2.apk
sysro

Thanks. :)

You can't do it from Astro. It won't recognize root access. Do you have Root Explorer? That would work.

However, I wouldn't recommend uninstalling the default launcher. Mainly because if there is ever a a problem with Launcher Pro and somehow its gets uninstalled, you'll be up the creek without a paddle.
Removing other launchers may help, but the stock launcher has never caused any ill-effects on performance. If it's not being used, it's not sitting in memory. The only benefit of deleting the stock launcher would be to save room in /system/app folder.

According to info from Chevyno1, even when the stock launcher isn't being used, it still uses some memory.

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

According to info from Chevyno1, even when the stock launcher isn't being used, it still uses some memory.[/QUOTE]
I won't debate that because I really don't know, but I highly doubt it would affect performance on a notcieable level.
But it's your call!

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score

I would think the threat of "accidentally" deleting LP would be pretty much nil.

OP
E

EnJoY

Reaction score
I deleted it, every bit of memory or performance helps.

Worse case LP ever screws up beyond repair I'll happily just wipe and reflash.

brochaos

Reaction score

According to info from Chevyno1, even when the stock launcher isn't being used, it still uses some memory.
I won't debate that because I really don't know, but I highly doubt it would affect performance on a notcieable level.
But it's your call!

i agree with you as well. not sure what chevy said exactly, but launcher2 definitely does not seem to running anywhere that i can tell. unless you just switched between the two.

tcyree2202

Reaction score
I was also interested in deleting the stock launcher2, but I have one more question. Is it necessary to move LauncherPro to /system/app, or will it still function properly if left in /data/app? Thanks in advance for the help.

captdroid

Reaction score
I was also interested in deleting the stock launcher2, but I have one more question. Is it necessary to move LauncherPro to /system/app, or will it still function properly if left in /data/app? Thanks in advance for the help.

You can leave Launcher Pro in /data/app and delete launcher2 in /system/app and LP will work fine. I moved Launcher Pro to /system/app to save user application storage space for other programs. But when an update comes along in the market for LP I have to move it again to /system/app after the update install and delete the old one or I end up with two LP apk's the one in /data/app taking precedence.

imagecolour

Reaction score
take a backup with Titanium backup, and remove the app from titanium backup.next reset the ROM to factory setting and restore with titanium backup. I did the same for Launcher pro and it is worked wonders dancedroid