Latest ROM Updates For All HTC Devices Running 2.3.4 Leaking Information To Amazon

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
privacy.jpg

Privacy is a thing of the past according to the latest ROM chief news. My buddy Jesse(Virus) shared a link with me today to an article that might effect all the HTC Android 2.3.4 users. According to the source, HTC is sharing your app information with an unencrypted Amazon server. How long you use an app, what app you are using, the fact that you are rooted, the location you are using it from, and other information are now easily accessible by some unknown hacker.

Phone companies are going down a slippery slope when it comes to our privacy, and that's not good at all. Lucky for the users, the makers of the Synergy ROM line and the upcoming Eternity line of ROMs, know/found this breach of your privacy and fixed it in their future released ROMs. There you go folks, how's that for "quietly brilliant," I think it's more like "quietly sharing your information."

To mess with HTC, the developers TrevE and Virus coded their work so that when HTC looks for your information all they see is "beat by Team Synergy." Talk about a sense of humor. Spread the news!!

Read more

Last edited by a moderator:

Castro

Reaction score
Chou, I told you this wasn't the best idea!! We got caught up already!

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
What if one is running a 2.3.4 based rom on their HTC device and it isn't Sense based like CM or OMGB? Does this not pertain to them?

R

RETG

Is it only HTC? This is while I'm thinking of jumping from Motorola to HTC due to the Droid X and the GB fiasco. Maybe not, now.....

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh well. Facebook, yahoo, and amazon already started stealing my data years ago.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

Immolate

Reaction score
Well at least they'll still be able to tell you're rooted. These developers are going to share their source with the many other ROM devs I'm assuming, so that people aren't forced to switch ROMs to maintain privacy, right?

Cipherr

Reaction score
hmm I would say this is much worse than a company suing over some patents...........just sayin

Judging from your post history I can safely assume that you need to be told that this is HTC's doing. Not Google, and or the Android platforms doing. Thanks for that little tidbit though.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Judging from your post history I can safely assume that you need to be told that this is HTC's doing. Not Google, and or the Android platforms doing. Thanks for that little tidbit though.

Right but HTC is a major company, are they not? And they are completely violating and privacy you may or may not want, correct? As for Google, haha do we even need to go there on their privacy practices?

My point is Apple is evil and hated for suing their competition for patent violations and now HTC is trying to invade your privacy. If you are going to hate and call Apple evil looks like everyone needs to do the same for HTC. Sadly though people will continue to hate one big business and turn a blind eye to the other.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
No offense but this seems like a Rom developer trying to scare people into downloading his work.

yeah that very well could be. I should have prefaced my statement "if this proves to be true". I will give HTC the benefit of the doubt until this is proven true or false.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Well, the beats sound addition already turned me completely away from HTC. This just reinforces it, I'll probably go for a Samsung device at this rate. Wouldn't mind a Galaxy S II a few years down the line, despite how outdated it will be by then.