latest 4.0.4 radios

Briankbl

Reaction score
Wait, what's the difference between these 4.0.4 radios and the old 4.0.4 radios from a couple months ago?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
these are newer versions that were not previously leaked

alboboy10

Reaction score
jntdroid said:
by "day", do you mean a full 24 hours, or something like 7 am to 10 pm? and do you have the extended or not?

Regular battery. By a day I mean 14 to 18 hours lol.

I want to wake up at 630, go to bed at 11 or so and go through the day with normal use.

I have everything syncing off, and lowest brightness settings.

When I first got it, idle time was great. Battery didn't budge even on 4g.

I lose a lot of battery when I go under 50% now

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To me battery life seems like its the same. The radios seem to do a better job with 4g and atleast holding a connection. Now I noticed when you make a call you will eventually lose data and its seems slow to get it back once the call is over. But I will take that over the constant connection issues that plagued the nexus in the past.

otter34

Reaction score
Where can I find which radios I have or what the name is?I see Android version 4.03 but I know that's not the radio. Is it under status somewhere?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Where can I find which radios I have or what the name is?I see Android version 4.03 but I know that's not the radio. Is it under status somewhere?

Its right under android version on the about page. Its the baseband.

Sent From the Land Before Time...
Tapatalk 2_ ICS Xparent

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

I want to wake up at 630, go to bed at 11 or so and go through the day with normal use.

Battery seems no better - still relatively abysmal honestly. Light usage and a couple of lengthy phone calls. Fully charged at about 7:30 this morning, was down to 30% by about 3 pm. Fully charged again, down to about 45% right now. So it does idle well, but otherwise it's about the same. Keep in mind I'm not using a kernel or anything, just pure rooted 4.0.4.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score

Have you considered running a custom rom? Your usage sounds similar to mine. I go off the charger at 7am, use it off and on throughout my work day and by 5pm when I leave (with about 1hr screen time) I'm still at about 60%. I get home and add about another 1hr of screen time and then plug it in around 11pm with roughly 5-10% left. That's about as much as I could ask out of my Nexus. I'll add that I'm using the extended battery as well.

My signature shows what I'm running if you're interested. Franco's M3 with the hotplug gov is the key. AOKP doesn't hurt either.

And to add to the thread, I flashed the new radios and they are definitely better. I noticed a couple things: 1) I'm showing more bars in general. At home and at work, I'm showing one more bar. 2) My phone hasn't dropped 4g since I flashed the radios; before it would switch every once in a while. So far, so good. :)

Last edited:

alboboy10

Reaction score
Do you keep your phone on 4g consistently?

I haven't rooted cause I don't really have time to root and ROM and keep up with that stuff, if I already knew how to do it I would.

My complaint is that my phone losses battery even when on idle.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score

I haven't rooted cause I don't really have time to root and ROM and keep up with that stuff, if I already knew how to do it I would.

Yeah. I leave 4g, Wifi and GPS on 24/7. Screen brightness is set to auto.

I'm running a test today on full 4g (without wifi) to see how the radios do. So far I can't see much difference in battery drain, though I'm sure I'll see a bigger difference by the end of the day.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score

Have you run cpu spy? It's an app that runs in the background and will tell you if you're phone's going into deep sleep. According to the app, from what I've seen my phone is in deep sleep roughly 75% of the time. Any less than that and my battery would be significantly worse. I'm trying to narrow down my wakelocks to see if I can get than number up around 90%. If you're still on stock 4.0.2 that would make sense, since there are massive sleep issues with that version.

I understand your time constraints, but it's definitely something to consider. You have the best tech support in the world at your fingertips :)

alboboy10

Reaction score
Ahhh so u get about the same battery life as I do if not better with 4g while I'm stuck with old 3g lol. I leave gps on all the time also and my brightness is dim.

I'll see how the official release is since it's soon and if I'm not happy with it I might root and ROM.

Apparently it's easy so why not

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ahhh so u get about the same battery life as I do if not better with 4g while I'm stuck with old 3g lol. I leave gps on all the time also and my brightness is dim.

I'll see how the official release is since it's soon and if I'm not happy with it I might root and ROM.

Apparently it's easy so why not

That's a solid option. 4.0.4 is greatly improved over what you have now and the new radios should help a lot too. I hope for your sake and others who would rather not root, that this update gets pushed to devices sooner than later.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sb do you make many calls? Just curious... Yesterday was the first day in awhile where I've had some extensive phone conversations throughout the day (extensive for me = probably 1 to 1.5 hours total ;)). It absolutely killed my battery.

I know Larry Page carries an extra battery around for his Gnex, but if you have a case, that's even more of a headache if you have to do that almost every day to keep it going.

I don't know... I love the device, but it feels like I'm constantly trying to convince myself to keep it b/c of things like this. The signal improvements are good, but I still had two big hiccups yesterday where it took a lot longer than ever before to get a signal back. Though it was holding 4G in places like never before as well.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Have you considered running a custom rom? Your usage sounds similar to mine. I go off the charger at 7am, use it off and on throughout my work day and by 5pm when I leave (with about 1hr screen time) I'm still at about 60%. I get home and add about another 1hr of screen time and then plug it in around 11pm with roughly 5-10% left. That's about as much as I could ask out of my Nexus. I'll add that I'm using the extended battery as well.

My signature shows what I'm running if you're interested. Franco's M3 with the hotplug gov is the key. AOKP doesn't hurt either.

And to add to the thread, I flashed the new radios and they are definitely better. I noticed a couple things: 1) I'm showing more bars in general. At home and at work, I'm showing one more bar. 2) My phone hasn't dropped 4g since I flashed the radios; before it would switch every once in a while. So far, so good. :)

Running Franco's M3 and trying the hot plug mod now. now I am awake I will try that aokp milestone 5.