Lapdock dissapointment

rumblee1

Reaction score
I actually love this thing. But on a trip to california, I thought i'd watch a movie I downloaded from blockbuster. Guess what, you can't. It says that the hdmi is enabled so it blocks you from watching on the lapdock. No wonder blockbuster is in bankruptcy. They just lost another customer. Anyone know if this will happen with the verizon video app?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I actually love this thing. But on a trip to california, I thought i'd watch a movie I downloaded from blockbuster. Guess what, you can't. It says that the hdmi is enabled so it blocks you from watching on the lapdock. No wonder blockbuster is in bankruptcy. They just lost another customer. Anyone know if this will happen with the verizon video app?

Is it block buster or was it just telling you the HDMI port is not enabled for the lapdock.

Snow02

Reaction score
Blockbuster doesn't work with video out, I would imagine so that you don't export movies to a capture device. Kind of ridiculous, I agree.

OP
R

rumblee1

Reaction score
Verizon video won't work either. What's the point of having these apps if you can't watch the movie. Especially when you BUY it.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Does Blockbuster allow streaming movies to a browser? Did you try it on the Lapdock web browser (Firefox)?

And Netflix will work through HDMI, so that should work on the Lapdock.

Also, your title is misleading. You should say that you're disappointed with Blockbuster software, not the Lapdock. ;)

jstrickland1216

Reaction score
I enjoy my lapdock very much, I have noticed though that sometimes I have to be "intentional" when hitting the space bar and also some of the key's are mapped incorrectly. Anyone else having the same problem?

Reaction score
I found that Netflix will not play on the lapdock through the netflix website on the firefox browser, but you can play it through the netflix app and make it full screen.
thanks man! I just found that out LOL. Something so simple yet I never thought of doing that :(

SwoffordGM

Reaction score
After doing a little playing around with the phone its the processor can't push the video through affectively enough with out pushing the hardware beyond its limits

Abadus

Reaction score
Wait so you can't stream movies through your phone to a TV with a HDMI cord? Ugh. Sounds like netflix will work? Wonder what services work and don't work.

SwoffordGM

Reaction score
No you can through a few apps and web sites but it push the phone to a put were it uses more power then what even come through the power cord which is is not good for the hardware

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Wait so you can't stream movies through your phone to a TV with a HDMI cord? Ugh. Sounds like netflix will work? Wonder what services work and don't work.

I can stream movies via Netflix, the Android Market, and ZumoCast to my TV using the HDMI dock with no problems. Also works with just the HDMI cable. The dock keeps it fully charged while doing this so I'm not sure what this supposed "power issue" is, but I don't seem to have that problem. HBO GO doesn't work but that's because the app actively blocks HDMI -- I'm guessing Blockbuster does the same thing, although I've never tried it and don't intend to because I can't stand Blockbuster as a company.

M

MiDrOIdDOES

there's the same issue with hulu+ and the hdmi out on Android- it's been blocked.
although it's been confirmed by a friend of mine that it will work with the hdmi adapter and ipad.

it seems to me that hulu is seeking money out of android in order to use the hdmi out.

I spoke with a hulu representive about this and they "claim" that this is a streaming rights issue and that's why the hdmi out of been blocked.

however my degree is in mass communications and I have copious amounts of course work in the mass communications law field, this includes copyright, trademark, usage rights etc.

the main issue with the hulu represenitives statement about streaming rights was that they seem to be trying to place the blame on the production companies i.e. fox,nbc, paramount etc.

however it doesn't make sense. what is the difference between a desk top, laptop, android, Apple, and bluray players....

first, my desktop is a set of components put together with internet access that can hook up a monitor using hdmi cable in order to view tv shows and movies through hulu plus.

a laptop is a set of components put in place with internet access with a built in monitor but also may hook up to an external monitor using hdmi cable so I may watch hulu plus on a bigger screen..

a blue ray player is a set of components, a motherboard, processor, hard drive etc. (basically limited use computer) with which I hook up to an externAl monitor using hdmi cable in order to view hulu plus...

now I dont need to compare an ipad to an android device do I? other then the name they're basically the same type of device...

which brings me to an android device which is a set of components motherboard, processor, memory etc. with internet access which has a built in monitor (like the ipad and the laptop) and also has an hdmi outlet to hook up to a larger screen..

so what's the difference here? nothing they are all computers with internet and a video output...

however as of right now only android devices can not use their video output to hook up to an external monitor.

honestly you can see it probably really has nothing to do with streaming rights based on their contracts with the production companies...

hulu just wants money from android for the right to use the hdmi output...

Last edited by a moderator:

Heywood

Reaction score
Fwiw Droid TV works via HDMI out I can't remember if crackle does but I think crackle and hulu are associated