lagging

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
Ok, for the last few days my phone has had several periods of lagging and becomes non responsive. Was there some sort of update that caused this?? I have not installed any new apps in over 2 weeks!!!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Ok, for the last few days my phone has had several periods of lagging and becomes non responsive. Was there some sort of update that caused this?? I have not installed any new apps in over 2 weeks!!!
There has been no update for the Razr Maxx since the update to ICS. To identify the possible cause I recommend first determine what apps you have running (menu>settings>apps>running programs). You may find an app or two, particularly a 3rd Party app that you have downloaded and installed, running and eating resources that have no reason to be running. Many apps start at startup and continue to run in the background but are not needed or desired. A number of the "bloatware" apps that came with your phone (particularly the Verizon branded apps) are notorious for that. Most of those apps can be disabled and some can be uninstalled. For instance, NFL can be disabled...you can't uninstall it without root, but you can disable it (by the way, never uninstall an app that requires root to uninstall, that will cause you problems when it is time for an official OTA update). You have a couple of options...figure out what is running on your system that you do not need or want and disable them or delete them. You can download an app that will tell you what apps are using resources. There are a number of them in play store, Watchdog is a good one. Or, you can do a factory reset, then do another factory reset, disable the apps that you don't use then begin installing your third party apps one or two at a time. Monitor your phone for an hour or two and see if the lagging persist. Continue to add your apps until the phone starts to lag again...chances are the last one or two apps you installed is the problem. One last thing, it really does help to power off your phone every day or two, charge it with power off, then restart. The Motorola manual recommends it.

mauiblue

Reaction score
I had the same problem with phone lag. I had so much running on my phone. I decided to do a factory reset and reinstall only what was necessary and what apps I really used. Now my phone is running like brand new.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I had the same problem with phone lag. I had so much running on my phone. I decided to do a factory reset and reinstall only what was necessary and what apps I really used. Now my phone is running like brand new.

Yeah, that most often is the solution to a lagging phone. But, some folks rather troubleshoot for a while before taking the plunge.

mauiblue

Reaction score
Yeah, that most often is the solution to a lagging phone. But, some folks rather troubleshoot for a while before taking the plunge.

And some rather cut to the chase and resolve the issue quickly without any fanfare.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
jpcalhoun said:
That would be me :rockon:

I second that. It is a sure fire way to fix what's ailing your phone. I figure I can take days trying to resolve what might be the problem with no success or minimal success or I can do an fdr, guaranteed success and only spend a few hours getting it set back up again. Of course there are some problems where the solution is easy and known but when it's a mystery, fdr is the best solution.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I second that. It is a sure fire way to fix what's ailing your phone. I figure I can take days trying to resolve what might be the problem with no success or minimal success or I can do an fdr, guaranteed success and only spend a few hours getting it set back up again. Of course there are some problems where the solution is easy and known but when it's a mystery, fdr is the best solution.
Amen TisMyDroid:gotmyvote: