keyboard issue, shift key not working as is most punctuation

telivi

Reaction score
i did a forum search and went back a few pages and saw no one with this problem. if i overlooked it, i apologize.

so, i have a droid 4. it just updated to 4.1.2, jellybean, woo super excited. lo and behold, when i try to text a fellow droid enthuist of my excitement, i notice something is amiss with my keyboard. my shift key does not work, so i cannot capitalize. i also notice only my period and comma keys work when it comes to punctuation. as such, i cannot ask a question... so it will seem like i'm just complaining here.

i tried turning on auto capitalization, nothing. tried adjusting a few things, also nothing. i'm pretty sure when it asked me to configure my input settings after download, i must have clicked the wrong thing somewhere. but i would like to type like someone who knows the english language, not like this.

also, i do not like the touch keyboard, the physical qwerty keyboard is why i like my droid 4.

matchgame90

Reaction score
i did a forum search and went back a few pages and saw no one with this problem. if i overlooked it, i apologize.

so, i have a droid 4. it just updated to 4.1.2, jellybean, woo super excited. lo and behold, when i try to text a fellow droid enthuist of my excitement, i notice something is amiss with my keyboard. my shift key does not work, so i cannot capitalize. i also notice only my period and comma keys work when it comes to punctuation. as such, i cannot ask a question... so it will seem like i'm just complaining here.

i tried turning on auto capitalization, nothing. tried adjusting a few things, also nothing. i'm pretty sure when it asked me to configure my input settings after download, i must have clicked the wrong thing somewhere. but i would like to type like someone who knows the english language, not like this.

also, i do not like the touch keyboard, the physical qwerty keyboard is why i like my droid 4.
OK so I'm not the only one who is having problems with my droid 4's shift key. I've found that after my update to Jelly Bean yesterday that the shift key now has to be held down while you want to use it. before you could tap the shift key once and it would take your next keystroke as if it were typed with the shift key held down. i do not see anywhere in the options to correct this, unfortunately. I don't like this change and really wish there was a way to get it back.

kwyrt

Reaction score
OK so I'm not the only one who is having problems with my droid 4's shift key. I've found that after my update to Jelly Bean yesterday that the shift key now has to be held down while you want to use it. before you could tap the shift key once and it would take your next keystroke as if it were typed with the shift key held down. i do not see anywhere in the options to correct this, unfortunately. I don't like this change and really wish there was a way to get it back.

I actually had this problem shortly after the JB OTA. A simple reboot fixed it for me. Shift key functions normally now.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

matchgame90

Reaction score
I found that uninstalling the updates to Google Chrome fixes this issue. I tried going a reboot and reset (what a pain!) but it still was acting up until I uninstalled the updates.

IndyViva

Reaction score
I have been having the same issues.

Just tried what a previous poster said and tried holding the shift key down while typing, and that did work. The caps lock does not work at all tho.

franndisney

Reaction score
I am actually having the same issue with the "shift" key. I am also having problems when I type 2 spaces it won't automatically add a "." even though that option is clicked in settings. I am having a bunch of other issues too, I called Verizon and they are sending me a "certified like new" replacement, but I have a feeling that it is not going to change. When I spoke to Verizon the women said she had a bunch of calls with stuff not working since the upgrade and I could do a hard reset of the phone, but she wasn't successful helping others.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I thought I'd try this. Typing from the keyboard. Mine seems OK. I have my phone set on autocorrect, etc. I did the JB updates yesterday through my settings. I didn't get a notification. I don't know if mine ever did the auto period. Guess it does, just tried it. ;)
I'm on stock.
This is, though, my second D4. My first froze (original from the release day). So a refurbished, like new. Verizon said it to me.

cylence

Reaction score

First, make sure the keyboard layout is default and not english or any other language ( system settings, input, phys keyboard, omap4 keypad)

If that is set right and you still have problems, look in /system/usr/keylayout and make sure the omap4-keypad.kl file is owned by root.

Those are the first two things I know of that will mess with the pk functionality.

OP
T

telivi

Reaction score
Thank you, cylence! Took me a moment to figure out how to get it to go to default, as it wasn't a listed option. But that worked.

As to the automatically putting in a period, I've never used that option. I do that manually, as I prefer to do so since I put two spaces between sentences.

Removing Chrome updates, for some reason, got my shift to work. I have to hold it down, but it works. Capslock doesn't work at all, still. Unless I'm texting. Anywhere else, it just looks pretty. I must say, having to press shift for capitals is really inconvenient, considering I have to hold the phone while typing, so holding a button down and typing is really annoying.

How I finally got the settings to go to default: went to change it, unchecked "English" and pressed the back button, selected default from that menu. It's not on the actual list.

NeXtras

Reaction score
There are a lot of bugs with the keyboard(s) on these after the JB update.

My shift key has been temperamental whether it wants to work with one press or have to hold it (usually rebooting lets it work normally, just a pain to reboot all the time)

When going to answer a text without sliding the phone open, the onscreen keyboard likes to start off stuck in caps lock.

and ive noticed that the "Select Input" Icon likes to stay in the notification bar even after exiting a text.. will stay there til I lock the phone and unlock it, or I go into an app and return to the homescreen..

this is such an annoying problem -___-

R2D|2OID

Reaction score
Uninstalling the updates to Google Chrome fixes this, among MANY OTHER problems with the JB OTA.

NeXtras

Reaction score
Uninstalling the updates to Google Chrome fixes this, among MANY OTHER problems with the JB OTA.

Well I just uninstalled the updates for Chrome.. didnt fix it right away, so i just rebooted it we shall see what it does

dfeuer

Reaction score
I uninstalled Chrome updates and rebooted—no luck. The strange thing is that the keyboard works just fine in some apps (Firefox, Gmail, Google Plus, Droid Edit) while it doesn't work in others (non-URL-entry text fields in the standard browser, Chrome, and Dolphin). This is driving me nuts. I really wish I'd stuck with ICS....

NeXtras

Reaction score
I uninstalled Chrome updates and rebooted—no luck. The strange thing is that the keyboard works just fine in some apps (Firefox, Gmail, Google Plus, Droid Edit) while it doesn't work in others (non-URL-entry text fields in the standard browser, Chrome, and Dolphin). This is driving me nuts. I really wish I'd stuck with ICS....

Same here, except my shift key hasnt been tempermental.. yet

dfeuer

Reaction score
Same here, except my shift key hasnt been tempermental.. yet

Mine isn't temperamental—it always works in certain contexts and never in others. Where the shift key doesn't work, neither do the keyboard features that produce pop-ups—holding down a key to choose a symbol or hitting the symbol key.