For those who love the Gingerbread Keyboard

billyk

Reaction score
Like a lot of posters here, I've tried too many keyboards - a number of which I paid for. But, just like on my D1, I just keep coming back to stock.

The Gingerbread keyboard has amazing utility for me. For anyone who loves the stock keyboard and may not know some of the features, check these out:
  • Shift+Key to capitalize a word: In Gingerbread (and supported hardware), you can Shift+Key to capitalize a letter instead of going to a separate all caps keyboard. You can also just slide from the shift key to a letter.
  • Auto-complete: The space bar lights up when auto-complete can finish a word.
  • Quick replace: Tap on any previously typed word, then tap on a suggestion to automatically replace it with the suggested word. Also similar to, but kind of better than, how iOS now does spelling suggestions.
  • Easy access to special characters (like numbers, punctuation): Press and hold the "," key for an extensive punctuation keyboard.

jdparise

Reaction score
Like a lot of posters here, I've tried too many keyboards - a number of which I paid for. But, just like on my D1, I just keep coming back to stock.

The Gingerbread keyboard has amazing utility for me. For anyone who loves the stock keyboard and may not know some of the features, check these out:
  • Shift+Key to capitalize a word: In Gingerbread (and supported hardware), you can Shift+Key to capitalize a letter instead of going to a separate all caps keyboard. You can also just slide from the shift key to a letter.
  • Auto-complete: The space bar lights up when auto-complete can finish a word.
  • Quick replace: Tap on any previously typed word, then tap on a suggestion to automatically replace it with the suggested word. Also similar to, but kind of better than, how iOS now does spelling suggestions.
  • Easy access to special characters (like numbers, punctuation): Press and hold the "," key for an extensive punctuation keyboard.

Thanks. Very helpful.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
You're welcome.

The special characters feature is a huge plus. Also, I find that many other replacement keyboards, like the highly-rated SwiftKey for instance, take up valuable vertical space in landscape mode displaying their predictions in a large size, making the keyboard keys physically smaller. I am less accurate on those smaller keys. Stock Gingerbread really works for me.