Key Ring app

mchoffa

Reaction score
My wife and I both downloaded barcode scanner and the key ring app to keep our grocery store, etc discount cards on... I tried mine at the grocery store using self checkout friday and it wouldn't work (I gave up after about 5 tries messing with brightness and scanned the card in my wallet instead). My wife tried hers today at PetSmart and same thing, the guy couldn't get it to read so we fell back to using the real card (luckily we still had them with us).

Is there a trick to using this app in place of the cards?

holee

Reaction score
Apparently if you lower the brightness down to the lowest setting, and hold it steady about 5-6 inches away, it increases your chances of success.

I haven't had that much luck, so I stopped using it.

Zippster

Reaction score
The video that comes with the app recommends low brightness, using the handheld scanner not flatbed and keeping both about 5-6 inches away and perfectly parallel to each other, have had it work this way the couple times I tried.

froogloid

Reaction score
Zippster is exactly right. If you follow the scanning tips your success rate exponentially increases. Menu > scanning tips. Here's an instructional video: [video=youtube;eksEYwtyhFA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eksEYwtyhFA&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Key Ring Scanning Tips ~ Android App[/video]
Tip 1) Do not use Key Ring at flatbed scanners. Occasionally they will work but often they don’t.
Tip 2) Scan the barcode head-on! Do not scan from an angle. Otherwise, the laser will reflect off the screen and will not scan your barcode.
Tip 3) Turn your screen brightness down. Less bright light means less interference when scanning.
Tip 4) Keep your phone screen clean. Prior to scanning, remove all fingerprints and smudges.
Tip 5) Place the scanner 5 to 6 inches away from the screen. Any closer or further away and it’s unlikely the barcode will scan.
PLEASE note tips 2 and 5 are by far the MOST IMPORTANT!

~ Team Froogloid

Makers of Key Ring Reward Cards, a2b, and Cowpotato

Last edited:

ecd13

Reaction score
Also, if your phone has a screen protector on it, it probably won't work. I tried mine, which has a screen protector on it, in two different stores and it would not work.

OP
M

mchoffa

Reaction score
didn't think of that... good point, we both have screen protectors