Anyone try key ring in a checkout line?

wil318466

Reaction score
I've used it with a barcode handheld scanner and it worked fine. My question is this : does it work with the supermarket scanner? In other words, how does the cashier scan the barcode? Do they turn the phone upside down and swipe it like a normal card? Does it work ok? I've heard that it doesn't work well and was always too worried about holding up the line. :)

Anyone have any experience with this?

-Wil

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use it at my local super market. They have to use the hand scanner to get it to read. They just upgraded their hand scanners to a newer model. The older model could not read the bar code off the phone, but the new scanners work just fine.

The old scanner that did not work, projected a red line that they lined up on the bar code. The new scanner projects a box that they center the bar code in. I do have to set the back light to high, but other than that it works great.

mcm180

Reaction score
i tried it at Duane Reade like two weeks ago ... Fail.

HOWEVER. both the my OS and the app itself have had an upgrade since then ... so I dunno.

Try it ..... the register guy/gal ... will be automatiically mesmerized, regardless of success or failure. LOL

Arachnyd

Reaction score
This seems like a pretty useless app if you can't actually scan the barcodes...

Droidguru

Reaction score
It just has to be a hand held barcode scanner. Home depot has no problems scanning my contract number. Flatbed scanners don't work. Just have them manually type in the number. Still a great app my wallet is so much thinner.

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
It didn't work with the handheld scanner at A & P but the clerk only tried twice and punched the number in with the keypad. He said the equivalent IPhone app never works too. I've only tried it that one time.

Mojo

Reaction score
Frogive me if this is a dumb question, but what does this app do...or supposed to do?

Varking

Reaction score
It does not work on flatbeds. It has to be a handheld scanner but I can confirm it working at Barnes and Noble, Target, Best Buy, and Gamestop.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
It does not work on flatbeds. It has to be a handheld scanner but I can confirm it working at Barnes and Noble, Target, Best Buy, and Gamestop.

Aww that kinda sucks, my grocery only has flatbed scanners at the Self-checkout lanes.