Keep Droid Razr MAXX or trade for Samsung GS3?

Renac

Reaction score
So, a friend of mine is willing to trade his SGS3 for my Razr Maxx. I do like my Maxx, but ever since the OG droid I've loved the openness that comes with unlocked bootloaders (which, of course, isn't available with the Maxx). I wanted some opinions from others on whether or not I should go through with it (I've been thinking about it for quite some time).

Main things I want some opinions on:
1) The Maxx obviously has a bigger battery, but I've heard the SGS3's S4 chip gives it somewhat comparable battery life regardless. I'd like some thoughts on this.
2) If you've owned a Razr and switched to an SGS3 or vice versa, how would you rate the user experience in comparison?
3) How is the call experience on the SGS3?

I was also wondering, if I do trade, will I be able to just pop my microsim in the SGS3 and go? Or will I have to call the usual *228 and set everything up using that method?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to Droid Forums Renac. I do not own a SG3 but I can weigh in a little from what I've heard on here.

Battery - the Maxx is got the SG3 beat but I think the SG3 does ok.

Reception - again, the Maxx does exceptional but the SG3 does good.

SIM card -not sure if the SG3 takes a micro SIM or standard SIM but you can get a SIM adapter to use your current SIM if need be. Do NOT DIAL *228 on 4g phones... it could ruin it. You can also get free SIM cards at Verizon.

If you like romming and the endless possibilities of what you can do with a phone like the og Droid, then you will love the SG3. I think you should make the trade. There are some on here that have had both and are not at all unhappy with their SG3.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
R

Renac

Reaction score
Welcome to Droid Forums Renac. I do not own a SG3 but I can weigh in a little from what I've heard on here.

Battery - the Maxx is got the SG3 beat but I think the SG3 does ok.

Reception - again, the Maxx does exceptional but the SG3 does good.

SIM card -not sure if the SG3 takes a micro SIM or standard SIM but you can get a SIM adapter to use your current SIM if need be. Do NOT DIAL *228 on 4g phones... it could ruin it. You can also get free SIM cards at Verizon.

If you like romming and the endless possibilities of what you can do with a phone like the og Droid, then you will love the SG3. I think you should make the trade. There are some on here that have had both and are not at all unhappy with their SG3.

Thanks for the welcome and the reply as well. From what I've read, it seems that the SGS3 does take a microSIM as well. Thanks for your input and also thanks for informing me about issues with dialing *228 and 4g phones (still getting used to 4g phones and this whole sim thing).

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Your welcome Renac. There are some threads that do have allot of info about some of the pros and cons of these two phones. They are both such excellent phones that it is a very difficult decision. Bsweetness has some posts that gives great info on the differences and advantages of the two.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
I would not give up my maxx, but another reason to get the galaxy S3 is that Samsung sells enough of them, you should have no problem getting accessories for it either. Such as the Powerskin case(with extra battery). They made it for the galaxy s2, and probably will make it for the s3 as well.

Sent from My Droid RAZR MAXX with Tapatalk.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I love my S3. Battery is more than good enough. I go a full day and hae easily 30% at the end of the day. I've tested with both 4G, LTE adn Wifi and they are pretty comparable. I don't use it as an all day gaming device, but I e-mail a lot, text and what not. I unplugged mine today at 6:30 am and it is now 3:30pm. I've talked on it about an hours worth, sent quite a few e-mails, did play jetpack joyride for about 30 minutes and am at 71% battery. I'm on wifi too. I'm on stock rooted so i'm not on some ultra battery rom.

I had a DroidX and love stock samsung WAY more than stock moto blur. It is however all up to personal choice.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
However, moroblur is almost stock Android now, so that's almost a nonargument.

Sent from My Droid RAZR MAXX with Tapatalk.

OP
R

Renac

Reaction score
I went with the trade and so far I'm loving the S3. I love how fluid the S3 feels/looks. I was hesitant because I didn't want to go back to the crap battery life that my X suffered, but I had no reason to fear. This thing has great battery life! Thanks to all those that weighed in!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Have fun with it Renac!