Keep Ally or go X

Brech76

Reaction score
I have an Ally. I use it to surf more than my laptop, I also use it as a modem for my laptop. Coverage is good in my area but my browser speed on the pc sucks. I can watch video and browse on my phone better than my pc. I have a chance to get an x for a good price and I got a buyer for my ally. Will I see a difference in surfing speed? Will the X deliver data faster than the Ally? This thing is slower than the aircard it replaced and my only other option is dialup. My brothers moto is awesome tethered to his laptop. I don't want to spend the cash and have the same performance. Your opinions please.

OP
B

Brech76

Reaction score
Thanks for moving me, I should have put it here to begin with. :)

Technoman

Reaction score
I have an Ally. I use it to surf more than my laptop, I also use it as a modem for my laptop. Coverage is good in my area but my browser speed on the pc sucks. I can watch video and browse on my phone better than my pc. I have a chance to get an x for a good price and I got a buyer for my ally. Will I see a difference in surfing speed? Will the X deliver data faster than the Ally? This thing is slower than the aircard it replaced and my only other option is dialup. My brothers moto is awesome tethered to his laptop. I don't want to spend the cash and have the same performance. Your opinions please.

Just to confirm, your question is just in regards to the performance of the Droid X as a tethering device?

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Forgive me in advance, but the Ally works with the $9.99 Internet package right? If so, you do understand that the Droid X requires the $29.99 Unlimited Data Package, as well as an additional $19.99 to activate and use the Mobile Hotspot feature.

Now, basic USB tethering will not cost you any extra, and you can skirt by the $20 Mobile Hotspot feature and tether wirelessly if you root your X..

But to answer your question with just the info you have given... As far as hardware goes, the X blows the Ally away no question...but, it is using the same 3g data that the Ally utilizes, so overall speed of the internet should be about the same. Now, tethered to your laptop you may see a noticeable speed increase due to the X being better configured thanks to newer hardware as well as software...

Hope this helps, and if anyone thinks I am mistaken, please feel free to correct me...

Laramie

Reaction score
Friend at work has the Ally. After having the original Droid, and Eris and now the X. The X would be a huge step up from the Ally.

In my experience, web browsing on the phone itself, is faster on the X than the Ally. Will tethered speed be faster? I can't say...but I would guess yes.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Forgive me in advance, but the Ally works with the $9.99 Internet package right? If so, you do understand that the Droid X requires the $29.99 Unlimited Data Package, as well as an additional $19.99 to activate and use the Mobile Hotspot feature.

I believe the Ally is considered a full smartphone and requires the $29.99 data package. I went to VZW's site and acted like I was buying one, and the only data options were the $29.99 unlimited data option and the $44.99 Corporate data plan.

BodyBagz

Reaction score

I believe the Ally is considered a full smartphone and requires the $29.99 data package. I went to VZW's site and acted like I was buying one, and the only data options were the $29.99 unlimited data option and the $44.99 Corporate data plan.
You sir are correct...I was confusing the Ally with the Rumor.:)