Just trying to get my info right before rooting my phone

Deraldean

Reaction score
Hi guys and girl, well im new here and been able to see that this site is full of awsome info for new guys like me trying to decide to root or not. Well here is my question i know that i should use the new method from Mattlgroff for my razr 6.12.181 DROID RAZR Utility 1.6 [Now Contains 6.12.181 Fastboot files]. But i just wanted to make sure do i need to back up all my apps? what about my personal data on my phone will it be wiped clean using this method or any other?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
First off welcome to the forum. And do you mean back up all your apps and data before you root? If so then no, the root method is so fast and easy doing a backup would be a waste of time. The process does not do a wipe on your phone and all of your stuff will be intact.

Now after you root your phone you might want to consider download and using Titanium Backup and use that to back up your stuff in case you do more tinkering. Again welcome here and hope you enjoy your phone.

OP
D

Deraldean

Reaction score
Thank you. Yes that is exactly what i wanted to know thanks.

One more question if i can When ICS comes out we will be foreced to update to it right so if we are rooted at that timewill we be able to post pone the update so that we can turn back to stock?

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thank you. Yes that is exactly what i wanted to know thanks.

One more question if i can When ICS comes out we will be foreced to update to it right so if we are rooted at that timewill we be able to post pone the update so that we can turn back to stock?

I use Titanium Backup, especially for the option to "freeze" apps and bloatware, instead of deleting them, which will cause the OTA to fail. I freeze the "updater 2.3.6" so that the OTA isn't forced on me. Then after it comes out, and I know there are no major issues, then I can "defrost" it, and take the OTA and re-root. Hope this helps. :)

OP
D

Deraldean

Reaction score
ok so just finished doing my root and now im exploring the crap out of it lol. And thank you all for all the info, but i have one question i have done all my back ups but i would like to know is there a list somewhere for the apps or bloatwear that is safe to freeze that wont effect my setting like my emails and stuff?

another question im looking at roms right now but is there a rom that you all would recommend to try out first and to help get my feet wet? and which ones to stay clear and far away from?

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ok so just finished doing my root and now im exploring the crap out of it lol. And thank you all for all the info, but i have one question i have done all my back ups but i would like to know is there a list somewhere for the apps or bloatwear that is safe to freeze that wont effect my setting like my emails and stuff?

another question im looking at roms right now but is there a rom that you all would recommend to try out first and to help get my feet wet? and which ones to stay clear and far away from?

This list is for the Droid 4, but a good percentage of the apps are pretty much the same on any Android phone ... as it says in the post, DO NOT delete them, just freeze them in Titanium Backup. There is also an option in TB under Menu Key > Batch to unfreeze all frozen apps at once when it comes time for an OTA.

Some on this list you may want to keep, such as Youtube for example, that choice is up to you :)

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-hacks/198081-bloatware-apps-safe-remove-droid-4-a.html