Just out of curiosity, average RAM usage for Bionic owners...

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Mine seems to drop down rather fast. And I mean, it doesn't really affect the performance of the phone till it gets to about 200ish, but when I first turn it on it'll be around 400-450, by the end of the day it's usually at 200-270. I know that obviously it'll go down the more you use your phone, but is that pretty much how the numbers go for others as well???

Even when it's at 200, if I notice a slight occasional drawback, all I have to do is think about my X2 on launch day, when stock wouldn't even get above 30. After rooting it and tweaking it, an XDA developer made a program to fix that, putting it at 100 or so. Still, what a joke, release a phone with only 30mb free out of 512....

haimez

Reaction score
"free" RAM doesn't mean what it used to. More available RAM is still a good thing, but it's actually preferable to keep an app in-memory in case you want to use it than it is to have to load it in to memory when you need it. What Android (and most modern operating systems) do is keep RAM loaded with resources you might want to use and only remove then from memory when a running application nerds more memory and it has to purge cached resources to make room.

TLDR: 512MB is definitely behind the curve compared to what's "cutting edge" these days, but it's not as bad as you might think.

Reaction score
If im not mistaken, and this might not be the case with older devices, the handset's ram is designed to utilize as much as possible to process apps as fast as possible. So depending on the number of apps you have running at the time of your evaluation, you may see different ram usages being spread across multiple apps.

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Yes, yes I know all of this. Thats why I'm trying to get an average I'm not asking what RAM should be. I know it's not going to use all 1gb of RAM, it's only able to utilize about 400mb of it and why that goes down the more apps you use. I want to know what others, regardless of their usage as I'm curious to both, experience when it comes to the rate at which it's used.

Also I don't think 512mb isn't a lot, it worked great on my Incredible 2 I had for a week. But when the software sucks like it did on the X2 and you only have 30mb free of that, then yeah, it sucks.

Last edited: