Crossed over to the darkside - Bionic is in a drawer now.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
The only issue I'm really seeing with the iPhone4s is battery life. Same as Bionic where it varied pretty widly, but my friend has one and he'll come over at maybe 8 or 9pm and have to charge his phone after being at work all day, where he technically isn't "allowed" to use his phone but will sneak in uses here and there. Any comments on this jkhon or SW? As for Siri, I have been using Jeanne, and it seems like for the most part they can do the same thing; however, Siri is much more adaptable. You can say "Set an alarm for 10 minutes from now," and bam, done. With Jeanne you actually have to say "Set an alarm for 1:15 pm," or else it won't work. It also gives no notification that the alarm is on. So I admire Siri's versatility, but I think iPhone should invest in some sort of Smart Actions software as well...assuming Moto doesn't have a patent on it :p

ConqSoft

Reaction score
As many people here know I got my Bionic when it was first released and I loved it.
Yes, it had problems.. the Apps2SD thing is annoying as hell. I never had any data drops so that wasnt an issue for me but the killer since day 1 has been the Black screen of death.

If the phone shuts down and requires a battery pull there is no way to know how much business I'm losing. It just had to stop.

I've been an Android fanboy since the day the OG Droid hit the streets.. and I bought my OG about a month after it came out. I've also had a DX which I was quite pleased with until the GB OTA hit and thats when I started to wonder if Moto and/or VZW really knew what they were doing with Android. I really wanted my Bionic to be great.. and in a lot of ways it is. But I need something that will JUST WORK. And my Bionic failed at that far too frequently to be usable any longer.

Wow, this is freaky because I had the same exact experiences that you noted above. The DX was the last Android phone I had that I really had full confidence in. It's been downhill since.

I even ate crow after saying I wouldn't go back to Moto and tried the RAZR after the Bionic and had similar issues. Lock ups, random reboots, and the most annoying one is while on calls the phone app would just randomly crash and disappear. Even on a clean factory reset. (Not a dropped call; the app would actually die.)

So, sticking with the 4S I have now. Exactly like you said, I need something that "just works". And it does. Not to mention, 95% of the apps are much more polished on iOS (understandable since it's been around longer).

I've been on 7+ hour conference calls since and no issues at all.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I haven't had an issue with the battery. I can get a full day with it. I believe one thing that can effect it widely is the setting of apps to use location services and the amount of notifications you want the phone to make, much like Android. More location services and notifications, worse battery life. Screen brightness, like Android, also comes into play. If you don't have a strong 3G signal and it is seeking all the time, that will, of course, tear into it. The overall reception and radio on the 4S does seem MUCH better than my Inc 2. And the processor seems to speed up the web browsing to me.

To give you an idea, I pulled this off the charger at 9:00 this morning. Four hours later I am still at 80% using it for a good many Bluetooth phone calls and getting steady email and text notifications. Not bad. Different days will vary some. I still need to tinker with the settings a little more to experiment but overall, I'm happy.

One other thing I would add is I am very impressed with the camera. Even the night images. It has been doing a very nice job.

And Smart Actions would actually be a great idea.

OP
Speeding Wheels

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
wow.. thanks for all the kind words everybody :D
I honestly thought I'd check back and it would be an absolute flame war... you guys have surprised me in a GREAT way!

It's only been about 18 hours since I activated the iPhone and it's been a transition to say the least.
The thing thats killing me most is the screen size like somebody else mentioned. However, the screen itself is gorgeous... and the photos are pretty killer. Even though I had figured out how to get good pix out of the Bionic the iPhone is pretty much point n shoot... or at least as close as I've seen in a mobile device.

Battery life I cannot comment on yet.. just took it off the charger at 10am and have been played with it constantly.. it's down to 67% after just over 3 hours but thats with streaming music, calls, bluetooth, wifi etc. Pretty much everything is in use right now so the battery is getting a workout.

I hate... HATE... HATE not having an app drawer! I'll have to make a group for crap I dont need on the home screens.
I also miss live wallpapers :(

As for network speed... yes, it's a 3G device and when I run the SpeedTest app the numbers make me go all sad panda...
However, surfing the web is pretty smooth. Pages might not finish loading as quickly as on my Bionic, but they certainly are useable just about as fast.

Overall I'll say it's a solid device. Feels good, yet odd in my hand. I'm used to the DX and Bionic form factor so having a much smaller/thinner phone is going to take time to get used to. The screen itself is a plus as is the camera.. just wish the screen was 4.3" :)

Oh.. and iTunes/the Apple App Store sucks balls. How obnoxious is it to have to type your password in EVERY SINGLE TIME you DL a new app, even free ones! I can forgive them for passwords on paid apps.. but c'mon.. if it's free dont make me type that every time! /rant

ConqSoft

Reaction score
I hate... HATE... HATE not having an app drawer! I'll have to make a group for crap I dont need on the home screens.
I also miss live wallpapers :(

Yeah, I just designate the furthest right screen for those apps I don't want to see.

And, the 5 will be out sometime next year and should have at least a 4" screen and LTE, so I'll be picking one up for sure.

ripper2860

Reaction score
There's no denying the iPhone is a good phone. Rock Solid and reliable. Being tied to iTunes was a deal-breaker for me, but now with iCloud it may be a really good option.

Love my Android, but if given an iPhone, I certainly would not shed any tears.

scdown

Reaction score
Yeah, I just designate the furthest right screen for those apps I don't want to see.

And, the 5 will be out sometime next year and should have at least a 4" screen and LTE, so I'll be picking one up for sure.

So, @Conq, am I to read it that you've moved over as well? I'll be honest, the Nexus looks attractive, because I like where Android's going, and I like its flexibility, but I like "just works" - and that's not something my Bionic has given me, and I'm unsure I want to wait for ICS to fix it there.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
So, @Conq, am I to read it that you've moved over as well? I'll be honest, the Nexus looks attractive, because I like where Android's going, and I like its flexibility, but I like "just works" - and that's not something my Bionic has given me, and I'm unsure I want to wait for ICS to fix it there.

Yeah, check my longer reply on the previous page. :) Tried the Bionic, swore off Moto, then ate crow and decided to try the RAZR and it was the same stuff all over again... Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me...

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Being tied to iTunes was a deal-breaker for me, but now with iCloud it may be a really good option.

Yeah, prior to iOS 5 and iCloud the iPhone just wasn't quite there for me. (My wife has had one since the 4 came to Verizon, so I had a lot of access to it.) Now we both have 4s's and love em.

Last edited:

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
iOS5 and iCloud were the main game changers in my opinion. I transitioned a little easier since MIUI was my favorite ROM before I switched. Honestly, once you group the apps, it's not bad without having the app drawer at all. Just different.

As far as iTunes, that one is always a love/hate affair. I've been on iTunes itself for many, many years and actually am used to it.

Oh, on the password thing, that happened over the last year. In their defense, it happened because there was a huge issue with a lot of owners children downloading apps at will after the initial unlock and caused a lot of trouble. I know, I know, blame the parents and don't torture the rest of us, but it is what it is. I know I have friends who have been surprised to the tune of $70+ due to their kids buying apps. Not very good days for them.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
As for network speed... yes, it's a 3G device and when I run the SpeedTest app the numbers make me go all sad panda...
However, surfing the web is pretty smooth. Pages might not finish loading as quickly as on my Bionic, but they certainly are useable just about as fast.

at least it's a reliable connection again though!

krameroid

Reaction score
SW, you've helped me out a few times. Thanks. Everyone else...you make me sick! C'mon! iPhone? Booooooo! :)

Alright now that's off my chest. Totally understandable switch SW. Im sure the Bionic will be a solid phone in a year if Moto doesn't forget about it. BUT I can't wait that long either. Once the Nexus is out, i will probably jump on it.

Godspeed SpeedingWheels. Godspeed.

Sent from my UNRELIABLE BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
Speeding Wheels

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
It's not like I'm running out right away to sell the thing... and I'll still pop in to see whats going on.
Something tells me ICS is going to kick ass on this baby... as long as Moto/VZW can figure out the LTE issues.

As long as I am not in desperate need of cash I think I'm going to tuck my Bionic in the closet until there is an official ICS leak and see how things are at that point. In the meantime I'll still visit and see whats going on ;)

Now to figure out how to get from 5.7.893 to 5.5.893.... *sighs*