Just ordered a RMHD - Only because they let me keep my data plan

Moonhowl

Reaction score
I thought I would be keeping my 3 year old Droid X for another couple years because an upgrade would mean I would lose my unlimited data plan. Just for giggles I clicked through the process of upgrading, just to see what plans they would offer, and to see what it would cost. I was very surprised that the Verizon website walked me through my choices , and the choices included keeping my current unlimited data and email. Wow. The phone was pricey at $300. I tried the same transaction through Amazon. The phone was only $200, but they would not allow me to keep my data plan. Anyway, I completed the transaction with Verizon before they changed the rules again. I should get my new phone in a couple days. I am wondering if this is a new policy, or just a fluke? I haven't heard any buzz about Verizon changing their rules.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hmmm I always thought that they had eliminated that option of keeping unlimited. You may want to check your account when the phone arrives and before you activate you make sure that you still do have unlimited.

djspy

Reaction score
This was through the website alone? You didn't have a representative help you?

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Hmmm I always thought that they had eliminated that option of keeping unlimited. You may want to check your account when the phone arrives and before you activate you make sure that you still do have unlimited.

I agree with this.... It may make you change it when you actually activate the phone....

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Let us know what happens when you activate it. I'm curious too.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Welcome aboard, congrats on the Maxx HD and hope the plan holds up!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droid Forums!! Keeping my fingers crossed for ya! :)

OP
Moonhowl

Moonhowl

Reaction score
Yeah, this was through the Verizon website alone, no representative helping. I was really surprised when it happened. When I get the phone tomorrow, I will activate it and see what happens. At this point, I don't think they can change my plan without my consent. And we now have a new 2-year contract that each of us must honor. I'll let you know what happens.

OP
Moonhowl

Moonhowl

Reaction score
Well, I am happy to say I received the phone yesterday, I activated it, and I am still on the unlimited data plan and I have a 2-year contract. The 4G works, and I am trying to get everything set up and working nicely. I watched part of a movie on Netflix. I wish I could watch some of my Amazon Prime videos on the phone, but I couldn't find the app in the app store.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
That's great. I don't know if its a fluke or not but the bottom line is you got to keep your unlimited plan. Enjoy it!

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

OP
Moonhowl

Moonhowl

Reaction score
Ha ha ha! Twice yesterday I got a call from Verizon Customer Service. Each time they claimed to be calling to see if I ws satisfied with my new phone. Each time I told them I loved it. Then they wanted to review my plan to see if they could get me in a "better" plan. They told me I was using less than 2GB per month and suggested the 2GB share everything plan. I laughed and told them I love my existing unlimited data plan and I have a brand new 2-year contract for that plan and don't want to change it. Thank you bye! Do you think someone made a mistake?

Bishang

Reaction score
That's amazing. Too bad I don't have any upgrades to see if I could get it to work. Maybe there was a glitch with their website? Kudos to you for upgrading and keeping unlimited.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

JRParsons

Reaction score
Ha ha ha! Twice yesterday I got a call from Verizon Customer Service. Each time they claimed to be calling to see if I ws satisfied with my new phone. Each time I told them I loved it. Then they wanted to review my plan to see if they could get me in a "better" plan. They told me I was using less than 2GB per month and suggested the 2GB share everything plan. I laughed and told them I love my existing unlimited data plan and I have a brand new 2-year contract for that plan and don't want to change it. Thank you bye! Do you think someone made a mistake?

That call was most likely from a third party vendor, they say they are calling on behalf of Verizon. I have 4 lines and every time one is up for an upgrade I get at least one call from "Verizon". But it's actually a separate company trying to sell me a phone and plan.

I've heard of a few people keeping their unlimited plan. A friend of mine did it in a corporate store, there was no explanation as to why that option was available. Of the 1/2 a dozen people who I have heard of that kept their unlimited data plan all of them had their upgrade available to them prior to the elimination of unlimited data, but didn't upgrade until later. I don't know If this is the reason some people are keeping unlimited.
Congrats on the phone and plan, enjoy.