Just migrated from the X to the Fascinate and have a few questions

sjohn902

Reaction score
Back again after my thread from a couple days ago about possibly switching to the Fascinate. I picked up the Fascinate earlier since it was free at Best Buy. I'm weighing the pros and cons of each phone (Verizon is sending me a new X since the refurb I got was defective) and then in a week I'll be selling one and cancelling a line.

I have a few beginner questions about the Fascinate as I try to get acclimated to it. I realize a couple of these could be answered by a Google search, but I've been busy literally all day and am about to go to a movie with the girlfriend - so once I get back and she goes to sleep, I'd like to have a head start on getting this thing set up how I want it. :)

1 - How is the car mount for this thing? I LOVED the X's car mount, it was easy to pop the phone in, play music and go. With the placement of the charging port and headphone jack on this phone, I'm concerned that the car mount may actually take some effort to put the phone in.

2 - This goes with my first question: Is there a way to use the mic on the phone while headphones or an audio cable are connected? With my X, I could take calls over my speakers and still use the mic on the phone. With the Fasciante, I haven't tested this, but apparently when anything is plugged into the audio jack it shuts the mic on the phone off in favor of a mic on the headphones/cord. No one seems to have a fix for this, but on my Droid, Droid X, and even my old Dare, I was able to take calls using this method. I'll be very disappointed if I can't on the Fascinate, especially since I know it's not a limitation of the OS or anything.

3 - The music player is sleek, but is there a widget for it? I don't see one listed anywhere using LauncherPro Plus, and when I switched to TouchWiz home, I still didn't see one.

4 - Is there a one-click root method available yet? I want to root and make Google search my default when I press the search button, but I haven't had a change to see if one is available. I also lost the guide that showed how to link Google to the search button, so if anyone has a link I'd appreciate it.

5 - Do we have any idea when ROMs might start to be available? I really just want vanilla Froyo, or hell, standard Eclair 2.1 like what was on the Droid 1 prior to the 2.2 update. I'm so sick of bloatware and poor theming, though Samsung has done a couple things I like.

droid8888

Reaction score
I just got the phone yesterday. I rooted it(with a very simple process, almost one click), installed LP, froze Bing and the rest of VZ's bloatware with Titanium(I'll list what I froze as freezing or removing a few things will either brick the phone or break wi-fi and things like that), and installed a google apps package, and I had to install the genie widget(news and weather) myself. Install Dolphin Browser HD from the market since it defaults to Google search. I'll find the links and post up instructions as soon as I find everything.

Back again after my thread from a couple days ago about possibly switching to the Fascinate. I picked up the Fascinate earlier since it was free at Best Buy. I'm weighing the pros and cons of each phone (Verizon is sending me a new X since the refurb I got was defective) and then in a week I'll be selling one and cancelling a line.

I have a few beginner questions about the Fascinate as I try to get acclimated to it. I realize a couple of these could be answered by a Google search, but I've been busy literally all day and am about to go to a movie with the girlfriend - so once I get back and she goes to sleep, I'd like to have a head start on getting this thing set up how I want it. :)

1 - How is the car mount for this thing? I LOVED the X's car mount, it was easy to pop the phone in, play music and go. With the placement of the charging port and headphone jack on this phone, I'm concerned that the car mount may actually take some effort to put the phone in.

2 - This goes with my first question: Is there a way to use the mic on the phone while headphones or an audio cable are connected? With my X, I could take calls over my speakers and still use the mic on the phone. With the Fasciante, I haven't tested this, but apparently when anything is plugged into the audio jack it shuts the mic on the phone off in favor of a mic on the headphones/cord. No one seems to have a fix for this, but on my Droid, Droid X, and even my old Dare, I was able to take calls using this method. I'll be very disappointed if I can't on the Fascinate, especially since I know it's not a limitation of the OS or anything.

3 - The music player is sleek, but is there a widget for it? I don't see one listed anywhere using LauncherPro Plus, and when I switched to TouchWiz home, I still didn't see one.

4 - Is there a one-click root method available yet? I want to root and make Google search my default when I press the search button, but I haven't had a change to see if one is available. I also lost the guide that showed how to link Google to the search button, so if anyone has a link I'd appreciate it.

5 - Do we have any idea when ROMs might start to be available? I really just want vanilla Froyo, or hell, standard Eclair 2.1 like what was on the Droid 1 prior to the 2.2 update. I'm so sick of bloatware and poor theming, though Samsung has done a couple things I like.

droid8888

Reaction score
Ok. Here it is. First, download LauncherPro(or ADW but I'd recommend LP). I'd also recommend ROM Manager Premium, Titanium Backup donate, and Root Explorer. They're needed for these steps.:

SWITCH FROM TOUCHWIZ TO LAUNCHERPRO/ADW. IT IS NECESSARY.

One click root: How to Root - Android Forums

ClockworkMod Recovery Installation(uses ROM manager): Clockworkmod installation how to - xda-developers

After the CWM install, I would recommend going into ROM Manager and choosing "backup current ROM." That way you can reverse anything from this point on.

Install Google Maps from the Market and install this: http://db.tt/xX0UyS0 It's a car home app with Google Maps in place of Bing/VZ Navigator.

Then, go into Titanium Backup. Click problems to download a good version of Busybox. Then, go into Backup/Restore. Edit Filters. Switch from All to System and click Apply. To freeze an app, click it and choose Freeze. Clicking it again and choosing Defrost will un-do this. Here is a safe list to freeze(requires donate):
411 Search
Allshare
Blockbuster
Browser(install Dolphin HD, it defaults to Google search)
Buddies Now
Car Cradle
City ID
Daily Briefing
My Files
NFS Shift
Skype Mobile
SNSAccount(think this is Facebook)
Tetris
ThinkFree Office
V CAST Music
V CAST Tones
V CAST Videos
Voice Commands VSuite
VZ Navigator
Write & Go

DO NOT MESS WITH BACKUP ASSISTANT(bricks phone) OR MOBILE HOTSPOT(breaks wi-fi).

After that, use Root Explorer. Navigate to /system/app. Scroll down to the H's. Slowly scroll through and find I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk. Long press on it and choose "Rename." Add ".old" to the end.

Then, install the attachment in the 2nd post to integrate Google: Got it! Google widget works now. Bing is dead! - Android Forums

Lastly, if you want the News and Weather Widget, download and install from here: Nexus One News Genie Widget....Apk Inside. - Android Forums

Now reboot. Make sure you still use LP after the reboot. Say goodbye to the bloatware and you'll also have root and superuser along with Google and the search and genie widgets. Plus, you can easily restore the bloatware if need be.

NOTE: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU DO TO YOUR PHONE.

Last edited:

korp

Reaction score
You know Verizon won't just let you keep both devices right? If you don't send one back, you ARE going to get charged for it..... and then the ETF would cover the other device.

OP
S

sjohn902

Reaction score
You know Verizon won't just let you keep both devices right? If you don't send one back, you ARE going to get charged for it..... and then the ETF would cover the other device.

I think you've misunderstood my situation a little bit, although your conclusion is what I plan to do. I opened a new line and got the Fascinate. On my old line, my Droid X had a problem with the menu key, so they're sending me a different one. I'm going to spend the next few days evaluating the Fascinate and seeing which one I prefer. If I like the X, I return the Fascinate since it's inside the 30 day window. If I like the Fascinate then, as you said, I sell the X and use that money to cover the ETF on my old line.

Droid8888, thanks a lot for the help! I'll be trying that out either Monday or Tuesday.

droid8888

Reaction score

I think you've misunderstood my situation a little bit, although your conclusion is what I plan to do. I opened a new line and got the Fascinate. On my old line, my Droid X had a problem with the menu key, so they're sending me a different one. I'm going to spend the next few days evaluating the Fascinate and seeing which one I prefer. If I like the X, I return the Fascinate since it's inside the 30 day window. If I like the Fascinate then, as you said, I sell the X and use that money to cover the ETF on my old line.

Droid8888, thanks a lot for the help! I'll be trying that out either Monday or Tuesday.

No problem. I have a better post of it here: HOW TO: Root, Install Clockwork, Safely Remove Bloatware, Integrate Google, Un-root - xda-developers

Hawk

Reaction score
The Nexus one news Genie will not down load and work on my Fascinate. Can you please tell me how you got it to down load and work.

Ok. Here it is. First, download LauncherPro(or ADW but I'd recommend LP). I'd also recommend ROM Manager Premium, Titanium Backup donate, and Root Explorer. They're needed for these steps.:

ClockworkMod Recovery Installation(uses ROM manager): Clockworkmod installation how to - xda-developers

After the CWM install, I would recommend going into ROM Manager and choosing "backup current ROM." That way you can reverse anything from this point on.

Install Google Maps from the Market and install this: http://db.tt/xX0UyS0 It's a car home app with Google Maps in place of Bing/VZ Navigator.

Then, go into Titanium Backup. Click problems to download a good version of Busybox. Then, go into Backup/Restore. Edit Filters. Switch from All to System and click Apply. To freeze an app, click it and choose Freeze. Clicking it again and choosing Defrost will un-do this. Here is a safe list to freeze(requires donate):
411 Search
Allshare
Blockbuster
Buddies Now
Car Cradle
City ID
Daily Briefing
My Files
NFS Shift
Skype Mobile
Tetris
ThinkFree Office
V CAST Music
V CAST Tones
V CAST Videos
Voice Commands VSuite
VZ Navigator
Write & Go

DO NOT MESS WITH BACKUP ASSISTANT(bricks phone) OR MOBILE HOTSPOT(breaks wi-fi).

After that, use Root Explorer. Navigate to /system/app. Scroll down to the H's. Slowly scroll through and find I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk. Long press on it and choose "Rename." Add ".old" to the end.

Then, install the attachment in the 2nd post to integrate Google: Got it! Google widget works now. Bing is dead! - Android Forums

Lastly, if you want the News and Weather Widget, download and install from here: Nexus One News Genie Widget....Apk Inside. - Android Forums

Now reboot. Make sure you still use LP after the reboot. Say goodbye to the bloatware and you'll also have root and superuser along with Google and the search and genie widgets. Plus, you can easily restore the bloatware if need be.

droid8888

Reaction score
I could not find the place I got it from so I just posted that link. I'll add the APK that works for me as an attachment.

The Nexus one news Genie will not down load and work on my Fascinate. Can you please tell me how you got it to down load and work.

411 Search
Allshare
Blockbuster
Buddies Now
Car Cradle
City ID
Daily Briefing
My Files
NFS Shift
Skype Mobile
Tetris
ThinkFree Office
V CAST Music
V CAST Tones
V CAST Videos
Voice Commands VSuite
VZ Navigator
Write & Go