Droid X compared to Fascinate

droid8888

Reaction score
HOW TO: Root, Install Clockwork, Safely Remove Bloatware, Integrate Google, Un-root - xda-developers

That's my thread and everything I've done to my Fascinate. I was leaning towards a Droid X until I used and compared them. It was a very hard decision. But the Fascinate is unlocked, has the perfect screen size for me, and the best hardware. The processor the DX uses is the same as the D1's, except it is 45nm, and overclocked to 1ghz. The GPU is also the same(PowerVR SGX 530) although it is clocked at 200mhz instead of 110mhz. The Hummingbird blows away the OMAP, Snapdragon, and the A4(although the A4 and Hummingbird are very similar.) I feel like I'm already on Froyo with the Fascinate. I can't imagine 2.2 with JIT for the amazing CPU, and it'll be even more amazing once Gingerbread comes out since it will have GPU acceleration. The DX had a slow camera and the quality was just ok. The Fasc took better, clearer pictures and the camera is very quick- just like the iPhone's.

The Fascinate's screen has incredible black levels, but being a home theater buff, I preferred the DX's screen overall(not size wise, picture wise.) The colors on the Fasc are extremely over-saturated, and whites are very blue tinted. But just like the Droid, the DX's screen had spot-on calibration. Once the devs get a kernel source, Voodoo will be out with ColorFix, calibrating the Fascinate's screen. Then, it will be the best out there. How accurate is touch? Not sure, but the Droid had a wonky touch panel, and had multi-touch issues. The Fascinate is the only phone I've used that is as accurate as the Apple iDevices touch input. The DX could be the same as the Droid, or it could be accurate.

The RAM is the same- both have 512mb. The Fasc dedicates 128mb to the GPU, actually giving it around 325mb of RAM. However, I multi task a lot, and I've never seen my Fasc using more than 290mb of that RAM, so 325 is plenty.

In games, the Fascinate is noticeably smoother. It feels 50-60fps. The DX has some stuttering in games like NOVA.

The Fasc feels extremely fragile. Samsung is known for bad build quality. The DX is a Motorola- they're known for durability. The DX is metal, and heavier, but can be thrown into a wall multiple times and dropped on concrete many times with no scuffs or damage. The Fascinate--not so much. If build quality is a major concern, then either get an Otterbox for your Fascinate or get a DX.

spider210

Reaction score
Nice writeup only thing I can say is where did you find the info that its 512mb ram. Our spec sheets specify 384mb ram but you could be right

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

droid8888

Reaction score
Nice writeup only thing I can say is where did you find the info that its 512mb ram. Our spec sheets specify 384mb ram but you could be right

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I forget. I've just read it many places, devs say so, and I saw an official spec sheet. 512-128=384, mine says I have 325. I imagine the system uses the 59mb gap.

404-not found

Reaction score
Get em both and call it a day.......:icon_ banana:

But seriously, the Fascinate has made me decide to switch from a single plan to a family plan. I need more than 1 phone....I wont get the Fascinate cuz I dont wanna reset my upgrade date right now, but in the near future I will be grabbing more than one phone.

I have the X and the T Mobile version of the Samsung (Vibrant) both are great, the Samsung screen is impressive but the X is easier to live with. Text just seems sharper, and the Samsung has an annoying blue cast to it. The X sounds clearer as a phone although it may be unfair to compare VZW to TMO. I much prefer the less intrusive Blur to Samsung's t whiz. Both have occasional skips and lag. I can live with it. One thing I'm curious if someone could check on their fascinate is in the calendar. On the X, if you open an appointment that has phone numbers or url's they will open the dialer or maps with a long press. On the Samsung it's just dead text. Don't know if that's Samsung or TMO crippling that, but that's a big one for me. So overall, the X is my primary phone.

droid8888

Reaction score
I really hate skins. TW is the worst IMO. Samsung tried too hard to copy iOS. LP allows me to keep the few things I like about it- the lock screen, notification bar, music player and the blue. But the blue is too light, I plan on changing it to a darker blue. I love the look of buttons on Blur(black+white text) and how they highlight red.

Yeah, the text needs improvement and the screen needs adjusted. I can't wait for Voodoo, which fixes the text and calibrates the screen. Where's 2.2 and the kernel source already?

Get em both and call it a day.......:icon_ banana:

But seriously, the Fascinate has made me decide to switch from a single plan to a family plan. I need more than 1 phone....I wont get the Fascinate cuz I dont wanna reset my upgrade date right now, but in the near future I will be grabbing more than one phone.

I have the X and the T Mobile version of the Samsung (Vibrant) both are great, the Samsung screen is impressive but the X is easier to live with. Text just seems sharper, and the Samsung has an annoying blue cast to it. The X sounds clearer as a phone although it may be unfair to compare VZW to TMO. I much prefer the less intrusive Blur to Samsung's t whiz. Both have occasional skips and lag. I can live with it. One thing I'm curious if someone could check on their fascinate is in the calendar. On the X, if you open an appointment that has phone numbers or url's they will open the dialer or maps with a long press. On the Samsung it's just dead text. Don't know if that's Samsung or TMO crippling that, but that's a big one for me. So overall, the X is my primary phone.

jonp4208

Reaction score
i just got the fascinate a couple of days ago. overall the phone is a really good phone. I went into the verizon store and compared both the droid x and the fascinate, speed wise and from what i could tell the fascinate was a lot faster. the main thing i could tell is when you scroll between your home screens the fascinate is a lot smoother. now on the flip side i have only had had my fascinate for like a week now, and when ever i call someone and talk my voice sounds a little weird on my end cant quite out what it is. My phone also tells me sometimes that i have no service when i have like 2 bars. But other then that i love the phone. Love the look of it def, but it is a little light.