Droid X compared to Fascinate

nyfireman3097

Reaction score
Im in the same boat im leaning towards the X since I have the droid 1 right now. But love the look of the samsung. I use my droid now for emails texts music internet. One factor I would love to know abiout are these movie rentals from blockbuster. How do the movies look on each ? Also the NFL mobile has anyone used this on them ? If so is the games pixelated ?
TIA
Nick

Spanky

Reaction score
This is like asking: Do I get the Mercedes or the BMW?

Both are great phones, packed with features. I'm ready to upgrade, but can't decide.

The SF is definitely "sexier", and a little more compact, but the DX seems to have a few more features.

Hmmm.....What to do????

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Get em both and call it a day.......:icon_ banana:

But seriously, the Fascinate has made me decide to switch from a single plan to a family plan. I need more than 1 phone....I wont get the Fascinate cuz I dont wanna reset my upgrade date right now, but in the near future I will be grabbing more than one phone.

Last edited:

Solrac

Reaction score
:icon_ banana:Man ralk about a phone that has problems right off the assembly line. My first droid x had to go back because of a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen and no wifi connection. My second one whle it would show as tough it was hooked up to wifi it would not search the web without hang ups and long wait times. It didnt have an alarm voulume button so you could not use it as a wake up alarm, all you could hear was the vibrating. I though that was pretty cheezy, come on motorola/Verizon how long have cell phones been used for alarm clocks??? I could not get youtube to work either. Something about no network connection or cannot play this video. After picking up my third one and having the same issues i was baked. I must say that the customer experience and phone operators were great in trying to help but the frustration after coming from the iphone experience got me real close to cancelling my droid deal. After going to the store the 4th time i had to wait forever as the store was packed.

I happened to listen to a conversation a rep was having with another couple about the Samsung Fascinate. I tried youtube and it WORKED? THe internet and speed was instant. It has tethering and many goodies not to mention it is thinner that the iphone and about as long and wide. VERY sleek looking, sexy and a better display than the droidx. Took it home and works perfect out the box. I didnt know wifi is so quick to open apps like youtube and your browser.One thing i meant to say is that i did have a problem opening youtube on the 1st try so i shut off the wifi and it worked flawlessy. I guess all the little bugs are not all dead yet but this phone is awsome.:icon_ banana:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Forum and thank you for sharing your thoughts on the X vs Fascinate. The thread you originally posted in is more of an introduction thread, this would be better received in this area of our forum. Glad to have you here!:)

Solrac

Reaction score
Fascinate

Thanks for the welcome and tip on posting Hook!:)

Does anyone out there know how to fix this: My gmail on my Fascinate keeps downloading my corporate email address emails??? I went into gmail on my computer and disabled Pop.

theraptscallion

Reaction score
I made the exact same decision this weekend. I liked bot the X and the Fascinate, but chose the fascinate for three reasons.

1. The X felt too large and heavy in my front pocket, which is where I keep my phone. The lighter Fascinate really feels like nothing in my slacks.

2. The X bootloader is locked. I'm switching over from Windows Mobile (4 phones in a row, the best of which was an old Samsung i730) and I loved the work ROM devs put into those handsets and am hoping to continue enjoying the fruits of their labors.

3. I think that the graphics chip in the fascinate may give it a longer shelf life than the X, and I generally keep a phone beyond my new every 2.

In 2 days of constant tinkering, I've completely switched away from swype (other than the keyboard) and added google voice functionality and I couldn't be happier. Learning to root and use adb has actually been useful, since I got the phone with zero android experience and feel mildly competent already. I also get better reception on the fascinate than I did on any of my previous phones in my house, which used to have a dead zone in my workout room, so either some phones are worse than others or people just have high expectations

Generalg

Reaction score
So... when you exchanged your X(s) in. Was this within the 30 day period?

I'm on my 2nd X... really wanting the Fascinate now... after holding it in the store... Anyone want to trade an X for a Fascinate? :D

Solrac

Reaction score
Fascinate

Yes it was and they tried to levy a restocking fee ($35) but i insisted that the trade in was because the X's were all defective and did not work. Why should i have to pay the fee. The store has to apply the restocking fee but just call customer service and plead your case and they will credit your account. Good Luck!!

Harb

Reaction score
I'm in the Fascinate v. Droid X boat as well; I've been ready to pull the trigger on one of these phones for days now but I've been putting it off because I can't pick between the two. I've read several of these "fascinate or X" threads and figured I'd post my questions/concerns in one rather than starting yet another new thread.

Does the extra graphics processing power of the Fascinate really make much difference in anything but full-on 3D games? I doubt I'll ever do a TON of 3d gaming on my phone; I have a powerful desktop rig and a potent laptop for that. If the extra graphics power helps in other areas though, that may sway my decision.

Also, I've heard that the Fascinate has various software issues (Engadget touched on several); are these problems fixable with an upgrade to 2.2 if/when it ever comes out or through rooting the phone and all the custom hacks that come along with rooting? The reason I'm giving up on my current phone is because I'm sick of the freezing and general 'tricks' it likes to play on me, and I refuse to get on the smartphone bandwagon if I'm just going to get more of the same.

I've heard that the Droid X has a 'locked bootloader'...whatever that means. I'm new to smartphones but quite experienced with computers, so I don't mind ripping into the device to get around whatever 'locks' Motorola has put on the device, but is this locked bootloader a big issue? I've tried to search and find info on this but haven't come up with much.

Finally, can the X keep up with the Fascinate in terms of sheer speed/processing power? I don't want a phone that'll feel slow doing day-to-day stuff, and I like to have a degree of future-proofing when I buy things like this. I've heard all sorts of claims on this topic but very little hard evidence; I've heard some people claim that the Droid X is without a doubt faster, but I've also heard people claim that the Fascinate's processor is simply the best available in a smartphone and that it'll only get a billion-jillion times better when Froyo drops.

Both of these phones have a lot to like, but not even several trips to the Verizon store to play with them in person and many days of digging through these forums and other online resources has been able to get me off the fence :(

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
:icon_ banana:Man ralk about a phone that has problems right off the assembly line. My first droid x had to go back because of a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen and no wifi connection. My second one whle it would show as tough it was hooked up to wifi it would not search the web without hang ups and long wait times. It didnt have an alarm voulume button so you could not use it as a wake up alarm, all you could hear was the vibrating. I though that was pretty cheezy, come on motorola/Verizon how long have cell phones been used for alarm clocks??? I could not get youtube to work either. Something about no network connection or cannot play this video. After picking up my third one and having the same issues i was baked. I must say that the customer experience and phone operators were great in trying to help but the frustration after coming from the iphone experience got me real close to cancelling my droid deal. After going to the store the 4th time i had to wait forever as the store was packed.

Harb, like the above post mentioned about problems right off the assembly line, the Fascinate has some too...

For whatever reason, there is a lag fix/hack for a lag, stall issue the Samsung phones have. It has something to do with I/O, memory, file system, I'm not really sure. Some ppl say the lag fix/hack doesnt really make a difference, just a difference in Quadrant, a benchmark app.

Its hard to say if the lag issues is fixed with 2.2 Right now u would have to root to fix it, and the Samsung phones are more easier to hack, mod cuz their bootloader isnt as locked down as the X's.

I have read the gpu and some of the memory in the Fascinate is used for the UI, so it should be smoother than the X. The lag issues kinda cancels that out tho..

The Samsung phones have GPS issues. There was a software fix released recently....but some ppl said it doesnt really help. I'm not convinced its not hardware...

Like with any phone, there are gonna be issues. Some major, some minor..Choose the cons u can live with.....by the way, a dead pixel and wifi issues like what was mentioned with the X is bad phones, not design issues.

Last edited:

Dxun

Reaction score
I have both. My fiance uses the fascinate, and myself the X. Both are great phones. My X is much smoother than her phone. Quadrant my X scores 1498 while her Fascinate scores about 900. Im not sure why though. The fps for the fascinate while running quadrant kicks the crap out of the X. Overall i like the X better. Watching HD video seems to be the same to me for both phones.

zeroryde

Reaction score
Well... I was about to trade my DX in yesterday and decided to bring my girlfriend in for an unbiased opinion since she doesn't own any smartphones of any sort, just uses mine for facebook, email, and browsing from time to time, and she said she sorta liked the fascinate a little better because of the screen and size... that's all... since she doesn't understand the bing debacle and touchwiz. The verizon guy actually convinced me to keep my Droid X.... I thought they wanted to push the sales of the Fascinate... but he told me to sleep on it and that I had plenty of time left.

I'm a type of guy that wants the best, and since these two phones are pretty close in performance... the next thing for me to complain was about how is was not a Google backed phone... it's not even listed on google.com/phone page. I have to admit, it rubbed me the wrong way about the phone and I have no complaints about my Droid X, but I just feel the grass is greener on the other side....

I'm just not 100% convinced as I'm coming from 2.2 and no issues with my phone at all... I just need something or someone to really convince me, the Fascinate is good for 2 years at least.

TBV

Reaction score
"Since launch sales reps get an incentive to sell the fascinate that's why they will try to force you to buy it. They will tell you anything positive about that and crap about the droid x..."

Although you were correct near the end of your post regarding returns being an important factor in what device/choices a sales rep suggest for the customer, in my two years as a wireless consultant with Verizon that has worked in four different locations, I have never been given an incentive to sell a particular device, other than smartphones as a whole being something the company wants us to be sure is being offered to customers as a consideration for their next phone, as data usage obviously generates revenue.

As for your comment "that's why they will try to force you to buy it", how can a salesperson 'force' the consumer to buy something?

TBV