Jelly Bean - Is it possible?

wseyller

Reaction score
Only way to get fully functional JB is if Motorola gives us a JB rom (doubtful) or they unlock our bootloader. Beside that we might get some hybrid of it using an ICS kernel. That JB kernel is more important than people give credit. Without it I don't think we will ever get a fully functional and stable Google Now. I am sure the JB kernel also has a hand in how Project Butter work. The only use over ICS I see is having better widget handling while have other important things broken.

OP
J

jason1175

Reaction score
wseyller said:
Only way to get fully functional JB is if Motorola gives us a JB rom (doubtful) or they unlock our bootloader. Beside that we might get some hybrid of it using an ICS kernel. That JB kernel is more important than people give credit. Without it I don't think we will ever get a fully functional and stable Google Now. I am sure the JB kernel also has a hand in how Project Butter work. The only use over ICS I see is having better widget handling while have other important things broken.

Now this is informative. Certainly not what we might want to hear but makes sense. Thanks!

wseyller

Reaction score
Now this is informative. Certainly not what we might want to hear but makes sense. Thanks!

Well i am hoping i am dead wrong. I have seen some pretty good trickery to workaround some things i thought would not happen. I really want a fully functional Google Now and I almost purchased a galaxy nexus because of it . I believe the only way we will get that is if we have jelly bean. I have to hope that either we get jelly bean. But I would also happily take 1 that is ported to I c s but that looks impossible right now but I am hoping.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

sk102704

Reaction score
Bigv5150 said:
I really can't see the bionic not getting JB its just an extension of ICS and since the razr and d4 are so close to the bionic I bet we all get it in a few months ok maybe 6 months to a year. IHey I'm an optomist.

I agree. ICS is a far more drastic change from GB. JB builds off of ICS so it shouldn't take as long to update. Plus last year Google announced that the major OEM's (including Motorola) agreed to provide OS updates for 18 months from a phone's release and now that Google owns Motorola, I think they'll make sure they live up to that agreement.

OP
J

jason1175

Reaction score
I wanna say that I appreciate all the feedback. I see no reason why the bionic shouldn't get the update except, as some have said, the politics. If that is the case then I think it says a lot about the industry as a whole. I mean seriously, this phone isn't even a year old yet!

smckee

Reaction score
I'm sorry I couldn't resist. To be honest, I highly doubt we will get jellybean. It took them almost 9 months to get us ICS and as someone already stated there no money in it for them ( moto) to do so.

I'm going to have to disagree here. If i see that Motorola is willing to keep phones updated, then I'd be more likely to buy another one instead of going to Samsung, HTC, etc.

My first Android phone was the OG Droid and I stayed with Motorola because it was a great device.

You are right, in that there is no direct money, but there is definitely money in it for them on the back-end with customer loyalty.

OP
J

jason1175

Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree here. If i see that Motorola is willing to keep phones updated, then I'd be more likely to buy another one instead of going to Samsung, HTC, etc.

My first Android phone was the OG Droid and I stayed with Motorola because it was a great device.

You are right, in that there is no direct money, but there is definitely money in it for them on the back-end with customer loyalty.

+1

Isn't that important anymore?

Here's a great article from AndroidCentral that offers some insight into this exact topic:
Jelly Bean: Will your phone get an update? | Android Central

So would it really be THAT difficult and time consuming to get JB up and running on the Bionic to justify not being worth it?

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
Ic what some of are u are saying but JB ain't life or death to me. I just rommed my GFs Nexus with Jelly Belly and other then it having a few minor differences, its not noticeably anything really different and looking at it could easily be mistaken for ICS. I'm just really happy with our version of ICS, it seems fast and being updated to 1.2ghz is a nice little trick Moto did to make us feel like we didn't get cheated cause of the RAZR. With a rommed ICS id take it anyday over JB cause first hand experience it ain't nothing all that different but I do agree its nice to stay updated.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Last edited: