JB 4.1.2 installed with no issues

mattjenn

Reaction score
Have factory reset yet? I don't have hdmi dock but I've had other issues that was resolved by factory reset

bbtkd

Reaction score
I finally got around to installing the JB update last night. The OTA seems quite solid and everything is working, except for bedside dock mode. I'd been using a Droid 3 dock previously under ICS, and it worked perfectly - phone would enter dock mode when inserted, audio would pump out over HDMI (to my bedroom sound system), and everything was good. But now, nothing happens when I put the phone on to dock - it registers that it's being charged, but no bedside dock and no audio over HDMI.

Has anyone else had this problem? This is sort of a dealbreaker for me... my phone is my alarm clock and I have it set to turn on Pandora in the morning, and it's the greatest way to wake up ever. I'd sure like to get this working again. I've scoured these forums and XDA, and there's very little in the way of clues as to what might be causing this.

I found this on another forum; go into settings, then into apps, find Google Play Music, go into it, and remove the update. A message said something about reinstalling the original and locked up briefly while all of this was happening. Any time my phone does something unexpected (locking up, etc) I reboot just to be sure. After that it works in dock mode. Apparently in a recent update they broke it so that it errors out when trying to bring up the player in dock mode. The only downside to this work-around is that when you check the play store for apps to update, it keeps offering to update Google play Music, which of course would re-break it. Hopefully they will fix this in a future update to that app,

Khiraji

Reaction score
I found this on another forum; go into settings, then into apps, find Google Play Music, go into it, and remove the update. A message said something about reinstalling the original and locked up briefly while all of this was happening. Any time my phone does something unexpected (locking up, etc) I reboot just to be sure. After that it works in dock mode. Apparently in a recent update they broke it so that it errors out when trying to bring up the player in dock mode. The only downside to this work-around is that when you check the play store for apps to update, it keeps offering to update Google play Music, which of course would re-break it. Hopefully they will fix this in a future update to that app,

Hmmm. Interesting, I'll have to give that a try, thanks! I did a factory reset - no dice - and now the SBF is almost complete, but having another clue is always useful.
EDIT: Went down to the VZW store and had them try it in a brand new Moto HD Dock, still nothing. Tried even deleting Google Play Music via Titanium Backup, still nothing.

=/

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I finally got around to installing the JB update last night. The OTA seems quite solid and everything is working, except for bedside dock mode. I'd been using a Droid 3 dock previously under ICS, and it worked perfectly - phone would enter dock mode when inserted, audio would pump out over HDMI (to my bedroom sound system), and everything was good. But now, nothing happens when I put the phone on to dock - it registers that it's being charged, but no bedside dock and no audio over HDMI.

Has anyone else had this problem? This is sort of a dealbreaker for me... my phone is my alarm clock and I have it set to turn on Pandora in the morning, and it's the greatest way to wake up ever. I'd sure like to get this working again. I've scoured these forums and XDA, and there's very little in the way of clues as to what might be causing this.

This happened to me and here is the info that was passed to me on another forum...my phone worked in the desk dock fine after this (and I passed it along to two others who said theirs worked in the dock afterward also):

1. Turn phone off...remove battery for two minutes & then turn back on.

2. Go to Manage Apps & find desk dock. Select Clear Data.

3. Manage Apps again- select Google Play Music. Uninstall app updates.

Phone worked in the dock great after all three. Looks different when docked with JB...but i like it. For wahtever reason, the Google Play Music app was not letting the phone recognize the dock as a "dock" and enter dock mode. The phone was just seeing the dock as any normal wall charger.

Hope this helps.

bbtkd

Reaction score
This happened to me and here is the info that was passed to me on another forum...my phone worked in the desk dock fine after this (and I passed it along to two others who said theirs worked in the dock afterward also):

1. Turn phone off...remove battery for two minutes & then turn back on.

2. Go to Manage Apps & find desk dock. Select Clear Data.

3. Manage Apps again- select Google Play Music. Uninstall app updates.

Phone worked in the dock great after all three. Looks different when docked with JB...but i like it. For wahtever reason, the Google Play Music app was not letting the phone recognize the dock as a "dock" and enter dock mode. The phone was just seeing the dock as any normal wall charger.

Hope this helps.

All I had to do was #3. I have a Bionic, but apparently several phones are experiencing this.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

For all of those having issues with your phone in the desk dock, here is what I have learned: The Google Play Muisc app (the one named "My Muisc) is interfering with the desk dock app / mode. Here is what got my desk dock working again:

1. Perform a forced reboot or turn phone off...remove battery for two minutes and turn on again.

2. Go to Manage Apps & find Desk Dock. Select Clear Data.

3. Manage Apps again - Select Google Play Music. Uninstall App Updates...select OK to uninstall and replace with default / factory app.

My phone worked great in the desk dock afterward...looks different now with JB but I like it. I like the new color scheme.

Here is the NEW info I learned yesterday: After getting the phone to work in your desk dock, DO NOT use the Google Play Music app (My Music) or the phone will not work in the desk dock again. I performed the above three steps last Thursday adn my phone worked great in the dock Thursday night, Friday night & Saturday night. yesterday, I used the My Music app (Google Play Music) to play music while tinkering in my garage. When I put the phone in my desk dock last night, I received the "Unfortunately desk dock has stopped working" message. Since I had already uninstalled the updates to Google Play Music I could not uninstall the updates again. I had to:

1. Go to Manage Apps & find Desk Dock. Select Clear Data.

2. Manage Apps again - Select Google Play Music. Clear Data.

3. Perform a forced reboot or turn phone off...remove battery for two minutes and turn on again.

Looks like if you use your phone in a desk dock, you cannot use the Google Play Music (My Music) app. I am OK with that personally, I want the phone to work in the dock way more than I want to use that app. The good news is there are plenty of free music player apps in the App Store. I prefer Win Amp...but that's just a personal choice / opinion.

Hope this helps all those that use & like their desk dock. ~ Scott

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
All I had to do was #3. I have a Bionic, but apparently several phones are experiencing this.

For all of those having issues with your phone in the desk dock, here is what I have learned: The Google Play Muisc app (the one named "My Muisc) is interfering with the desk dock app / mode. Here is what got my desk dock working again:

1. Perform a forced reboot or turn phone off...remove battery for two minutes and turn on again.

2. Go to Manage Apps & find Desk Dock. Select Clear Data.

3. Manage Apps again - Select Google Play Music. Uninstall App Updates...select OK to uninstall and replace with default / factory app.

My phone worked great in the desk dock afterward...looks different now with JB but I like it. I like the new color scheme.

Here is the NEW info I learned yesterday: After getting the phone to work in your desk dock, DO NOT use the Google Play Music app (My Music) or the phone will not work in the desk dock again. I performed the above three steps last Thursday adn my phone worked great in the dock Thursday night, Friday night & Saturday night. yesterday, I used the My Music app (Google Play Music) to play music while tinkering in my garage. When I put the phone in my desk dock last night, I received the "Unfortunately desk dock has stopped working" message. Since I had already uninstalled the updates to Google Play Music I could not uninstall the updates again. I had to:

1. Go to Manage Apps & find Desk Dock. Select Clear Data.

2. Manage Apps again - Select Google Play Music. Clear Data.

3. Perform a forced reboot or turn phone off...remove battery for two minutes and turn on again.

Looks like if you use your phone in a desk dock, you cannot use the Google Play Music (My Music) app. I am OK with that personally, I want the phone to work in the dock way more than I want to use that app. The good news is there are plenty of free music player apps in the App Store. I prefer Win Amp...but that's just a personal choice / opinion.

Hope this helps all those that use & like their desk dock. ~ Scott

jack.resar

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am having trouble getting my droid 4 from GB 2.3.6 updated to Jelly Bean. GigaJake has helped me out considerably and the only thing I need is a SBF for JB or ICS to get the ball rolling. I have searched and can't find one anywhere. Well almost anywhere. GigaJake gave me a link to Droid-Developers SBF However I am A Marine currently deployed and on a government computer and that webpage is blocked. Can anyone help me get the file I need? I mean another link or maybe even put the file on google drive for me to get it. My email is [email protected] please help