Issues deleting message threads

Shiano

Reaction score
My Eris is having a problem deleting message threads in my Messages or single messages for that matter.

I'll try to delete the thread and it'll sit in 'working' mode until i reboot the phone.

Normally, it takes a solid minute to delete a thread of only 20-40 messages. i've been trying to restart the thread between my wife's phone and mine (3026 messages) and it just stays in 'working on it' mode. Can i manually delete the threads using my computer and the data cable?

OP
S

Shiano

Reaction score
So I decided to put it on the charger while i let it 'work on it' with the deleting. Come back to it about 7 hours later and it's still 'working on it'.

Individually deleting each singular message still works and deleting a small thread (17 messages) worked also, but there seems to be an issue with a 3000+ message thread being deleted in one shot.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Might have let it get a little overloaded with 3000+ messages. Might need to do a factory data reset.

jeffboy757

Reaction score
my friend had that problem, the solution is, just before you to go sleep put the phone on airplane mode, set the screen to never turn off, and put it on the charger, one thread on my friends phone had about 6000 messages, and it took 9 or 10 hours to delete.

OP
S

Shiano

Reaction score
i'll have to try that. Just wondering about the significance of airplane mode lol

jeffboy757

Reaction score
well if your unpopular you dont need airplane mode, but if you get a call or text it will freeze it and wont delete. same reason you cant let your screen turn off, if goes into standby it wont delete. and i said put it on the charger, because if the screen is on all night the battery will die.

OP
S

Shiano

Reaction score
lol. i understood the screen on and charger part. but didn't know that the incoming would interrupt it. thanks. i'll have to try that and get back.