Is there a way?

Draken

Reaction score
Hello guys i was wondering if there was a way to get backup assistant back on my phone once liberty rom is installed? or like if i wanted to wipe everything and do a factory reset how would i get all my contacts back?

Last edited:

beckerfj

Reaction score
Hello guys i was wondering if there was a way to get backup assistant back on my phone once liberty rom is installed? or like if i wanted to wipe everything and do a factory reset how would i get all my contacts back?

I tried myself because I lost my contacts when I flashed Liberty, but I couldn't find an apk for backup assistant.

Assuming you haven't flashed yet, move/copy all your contacts to your Google account. The easiest way to do this is to export your contacts to your SDCard and import and then choose the option for your Google account. It also wouldn't hurt to ensure you have contacts syncing for that Google account (settings, accounts).

Let it sync asl your contacts and then you are good to go. Flash a ROM and when you sign back in with your Google account, your contacts will re-populate.

OP
D

Draken

Reaction score
So if my sync is on for my gmail account then i should be golden? and if so then when i add my account again does it automatically just sync my contacts back?

beckerfj

Reaction score
So if my sync is on for my gmail account then i should be golden? and if so then when i add my account again does it automatically just sync my contacts back?

Not exactly. First, insure you have contact sync checked (on). Next, to insure all your contacts are linked to your google account, you should export your contacts to your card and then import. When you do this, you have the option of importing to your"phone"or your google account. You want to choose your google account. Until you do this (unless you are already sure your contacts are linked to your google account) nothing will sync because you have to link your contacts to your google account.

Sorry about the rambling... Just remember, you ned to link it in addition to syncing it.

OP
D

Draken

Reaction score
is there a way to find out if there linked to my google account? and how do i export and import contacts to SD? and sorry for all questions haha...

beckerfj

Reaction score
is there a way to find out if there linked to my google account? and how do i export and import contacts to SD? and sorry for all questions haha...

I can't remember exactly how to check for it, but you won't end up with a bunch of duplicates if that's a concern.

To import/export, go into the contacts screen (the list of contacts screen, not an individuals contact screen), menu, import/export, export to SDcard, when finished, import from SDcard, choose google account.

OP
D

Draken

Reaction score
Alight i think i got it! Thank dude! That helped a lot.

Je11yman

Reaction score
Hey guys, one more question to add to your conversation.

I too lost a ton of contacts when I switched to Liberty. I retained all my Google contacts, but all the contacts that had been synced over from my old phone by Verizon. I have tried to rebuild that info from old files, etc. but have been unable to go on without them.

When doing the Liberty switch, I made a Nandroid backup. Will that have all my old contacts in it? If so, can I export that backup to my computer, make a new nandroid backup of my sweet new setup that I don't want to re-flash and re-configure, swap the old nandroid in and save the Liberty one, restore, save my old contacts to sd, swap in the Liberty nandroid and restore back to where I am now (only with my old contacts saved to my sd card?)

I don't want to pull the trigger on this until I am sure it will work, because (as you can see) it is a ton of busy work for potentially no benefit.

beckerfj

Reaction score
Hey guys, one more question to add to your conversation.

I too lost a ton of contacts when I switched to Liberty. I retained all my Google contacts, but all the contacts that had been synced over from my old phone by Verizon. I have tried to rebuild that info from old files, etc. but have been unable to go on without them.

When doing the Liberty switch, I made a Nandroid backup. Will that have all my old contacts in it? If so, can I export that backup to my computer, make a new nandroid backup of my sweet new setup that I don't want to re-flash and re-configure, swap the old nandroid in and save the Liberty one, restore, save my old contacts to sd, swap in the Liberty nandroid and restore back to where I am now (only with my old contacts saved to my sd card?)

I don't want to pull the trigger on this until I am sure it will work, because (as you can see) it is a ton of busy work for potentially no benefit.

First, I've never done a Nandroid restore, but from what I've read, you will get your contacts back. With that being said, you don't necessarily have to do all of what you said.

Nandroid backups are made using date/times. You can have multiple Nandroid backups on your SDcard. Therefore, you don't need to copy it over to your computer.

So, what I would try is this:

1. Make Nandroid backup of existing system (but move it to a different location on your SDcard because Nandroid restores the most recent backed up version, but do not change the filename at all, I think that can cause problems for restoring).
2. Restore previous Nandroid backup (phone contacts one).
3. Do the export contacts to SDcard (it will create a .vcf file).
4. Move your Nandroid backup back to the original location (of which it will now be the latest backup based off date/time).
5. Restore Nandroid backup.
6. Import contacts from SDcard and choose Google account.

Again, unfortunately, I haven't done a restore myself, but from everything I've read about the Nandroid backup/restore, this should work.

Je11yman

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I forgot that I could just leave it (the nandroid backup) on the SD, although I agree I should move it to a different folder. I will try this tonight, after my need for an operating phone goes way down.

Graphic Nature

Reaction score
If you previously backed up via backup assistant, you can get your contacks in an excel format then import to gmail....worked for me!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

iamcodyca

Reaction score
Verizon Wireless Customers

If you're concerned about recovering contacts you saved using backup assistant, you can actually go into your account on the Verizon Wireless site and export your contacts to a file, and then import your contacts using that file by using your gmail account you use as the primary on your phone. I did this and it works great, assuming you had used backup assistant prior to you flashing the new ROM.

Je11yman

Reaction score
Backup assistant was the answer! I used it on Verizon's web site and retrieved all my old phone contacts, now imported into gmail. All is synced, all is well. Thanks everyone!