Is the guy at Verizon right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pattikate

Reaction score
The other day I asked my local Verizon rep if running a Droid X off the AC wall adapter while playing games and applications was bad for the battery. He said he wouldn't recommend it, because using the phone with the adapter plugged in (for instance, listening to music or playing a game for an hour or so) might wear down the battery an shorten battery life.

Do you guys agree? Do you think it's not a good idea to use the Droid X with the adaprter plugged in? I figured this might help conserve the battery, but I could be sending my battery to an early grave, according to the man at the Verizon store.

What do you think?

E1337Hax

Reaction score
The other day I asked my local Verizon rep if running a Droid X off the AC wall adapter while playing games and applications was bad for the battery. He said he wouldn't recommend it, because using the phone with the adapter plugged in (for instance, listening to music or playing a game for an hour or so) might wear down the battery an shorten battery life.

Do you guys agree? Do you think it's not a good idea to use the Droid X with the adaprter plugged in? I figured this might help conserve the battery, but I could be sending my battery to an early grave, according to the man at the Verizon store.

What do you think?

It is not a good idea to use any phone with a Lithium Ion battery while they are plugged in for extended periods of time. This can cause a lot of stress on the battery and possibly wear down life. Of course its fine to use it for short periods of time like quick browsing, texting, and emails but i wouldnt recommend gaming.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1

What do you think?

It is not a good idea to use any phone with a Lithium Ion battery while they are plugged in for extended periods of time. This can cause a lot of stress on the battery and possibly wear down life. Of course its fine to use it for short periods of time like quick browsing, texting, and emails but i wouldnt recommend gaming.

DroidForums junkie!!

xliderider

Reaction score
First I've heard of this. I use my X all the time while gaming and on the browser while plugged into the usb port to charge off the PC at work. I've done it on my original Droid as well.

I don't know if there is a significant difference between the current supplied between the AC charger and the usb charge but 200ma or so.

R

RETG

No, I do not agree. A battery is just a large capacitor. I have used my old BB Tour many times while plugged into an accessory plug in the vehicle and talked on it for hours at a time. I never replaced the battery on the Tour, and it was the same type as on the X.

In addition, most people leave their X on while it is charging and apps are still running, maybe in the background, but in some cases, an alarm clock is running. So what would be the difference between the alarm clock running and you talking?

Another point is that my HP laptop has a lithium ion battery and per HP, it is perfectly ok to charge it will using it (as I am doing at this time), and it is recommended to keep the power plug installed even if the battery is fully charged and I"m either using it or not using it.

I'm sure Moto built in some circuitry to prevent damage to the X's battery to allow use while charging. (Checking their owner manual, they do. "Motorola batteries and charging systems have circuitry that protects the battery from damage from overcharging.)

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
Who cares, if the battery eventually goes bad, just get a new one.

Battery-only is generally better if you care about your electricity bill.

Sent using my Xmas present (Droid X)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The guy at Verizon is wrong. You can leave it plugged in and play games all you want, it will not hurt the battery one bit. That's true of the old nicad batteries, not lithium.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The guy at Verizon is wrong. You can leave it plugged in and play games all you want, it will not hurt the battery one bit. That's true of the old nicad batteries, not lithium.
Agreed 100%. Learned this early on in training at VZW. Lithium Ion changed everything for the better. No need to "exercise" the battery, no need to break it in at all.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If this were the case then they wouldn't sell Media Docks with built in charging ports -

adsfa34

Reaction score

what he said.

what they said. Li ion is very different from NiCd in terms of capacitance and resilience. A lot of the "rules" about batteries are outdated, but somehow they still persist in the wild. The only thing you might do is generate a little extra heat from the cpu and the battery both running hard, but that's nothing the X can't handle.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The phone will always pull juice from the USB port first. To do otherwise would be bad design. It will supplement from the battery if it needs to. Then, when you're done, it will start charging the battery up if it needs to. :)

kingsway8605

Reaction score
I promise you there is no harm done to your battery from this.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but you ARE supposed to remove a LiION battery from a device that is running on AC power. It's bad for a LiION battery to be run fully charged at a high temperature, which is exactly what happens when you leave the battery in while running on AC.

Here's a good link about proper care of LiION batteries. Contrary to popular belief, you DO have to excercise a certain amount of care to prolong lifespan:

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.