Droid X charging

dswartze

Reaction score
After reading tj1772's quote in another thread:

By the way, you need an oem charger to keep it charged. I have an after market car charger and it can't keep up with multiple apps running.

things began to make sense. I have been wondering my DX was taking so long to charge, etc. At work I connect it to my laptop's USB port to keep it charged up while I listen to music, check email, use the hotspot, etc. But it doesn't charge all that fast. My laptop's USB port must not put out enough amperage. I just plugged the DX's usb cable into my old TP2's AC adapter (which puts out 1A) and my phone went from 80% to 100% is no time flat (~7 minutes).

So the question is -- how many amps are needed to run the DX with various apps running. In the car on road trips, I can see myself using Navigator, playing music and using the hotspot (for the kid's iPod Touches). This last weekend I took a 2 hour road trip and only used the Navigator. I started with a fully charged battery and at the end of 2 hours I was at 60%! I was using one of those Scosche Dual USB car chargers. It is supposed to put out 1A and I only had the DX plugged into it. So is 1A not enough?

lfotto

Reaction score
dancedroidBoth the charger I got with my multimedia dock and the supplied charger put out 5v 850ma and using a usb adapter in my car I have not had a problem keeping the phone charged, navigating, and playing music using the car dock.

OP
D

dswartze

Reaction score
Stopped by Verizon on the way home looking for a charger. All they had were generic underpowered car chargers. And they were clueless about the topic.

So I went across the street to Best Buy and I looked for a more powerful charger. I found a 2A Insense iPad car charger. It has a single USB slot. I immediately used it in the car on the 15 minute ride home. I had my bt headset connected, Navigation/gps running, and playing music. A little more than halfway home that it charged my DX from 80% to 100%.

I think I have found my solution.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

lterry913

Reaction score
I am confused ...nether end looks like it would be compatible with droid x ...please explain the hookup

OP
D

dswartze

Reaction score
The Incase iPhone/iPod/iPad charger has two pieces -- the charger and the iPhone/iPod/iPad cable.

I am only using the charger part, which plugs into your car's cigarette lighter and gives you a single USB jack. I am using the USB cable that came with my DX to go from the charger to my DX's car dock.

I have a couple extra USB cables on order so I do not have to keep plugging and unplugging cables.

OP
D

dswartze

Reaction score
Ohhhh, i got this one for $1.

Nice find ... but please note that it is a 1A charger. The Incase charger I am speaking about is rated for 2A.

Now, for the DX, 1A maybe plenty. I know the Moto charger that comes with the car dock (if you purchase the OEM version) is rated at 950mA.

BestBuy also had a Griffin Jolt charger that gives you 2x 1A USB slots. It was $25.

I guess I am somewhat future proofed! For the next couple years at least!