Is my internal drive corrupt?

Herobrine

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC Incredible
So earlier today I was using somebody's laptop to charge up my phone. I had the USB connection type set to disk drive by default but I wanted to use my apps while charging so I switched to regular charge. Doing that, I wasn't able to access any of my apps (the phone basically acted like it was still in disk drive mode even though I set it to charge only). I couldn't open my photos or access any of the apps that were in phone storage.

I turned off and on the phone, pulled the SIM/SD cards but no luck. I plugged the phone into my laptop and the computer doesn't recognize the internal storage, just the SD card. I can open/view photos in the gallery but half my games/apps basically don't exist. I did redownload some of the apps (at the cost of some of the bigger apps since my phone was getting really low in storage space). That seemed to fix the problem with some of the apps but I'm just wondering if my phone got corrupted when I tried to switch the connection type earlier today?

Is there a way I can get the rest of my apps back without having to go to the app store and redownloading everything? What about a way I can access the internal storage from my PC again or will I have to do a wipe?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
This is a new one to me, but I'd say you're probably looking at having to do a factory reset and hope that that fixes the issue.

If the computer can't see it, regardless of how you set the settings on the phone, it'll be hard to get to the data stored there. Since you can't open apps stored on the internal storage, I'm guessing something clicked and the phone itself can't recognize the storage itself. It's pretty rare for the internal storage to just give out, since there are no moving parts like in a traditional computer hard drive, but I suppose it's possible.

The apps that you redownloaded, did you install those on the sd card then? If not, I'm confused how you were able to install them.

When you go to the settings menu to look at storage, what, if anything, does it show for internal phone storage? Does it tell you how much free vs. used space you have?

OP
Herobrine

Herobrine

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC Incredible
I believe the apps automatically installed onto the internal memory. I moved Instagram, Dolphin, and Subway Surf off internal storage to phone (after redownloading them) and they all work fine. The apps I didn't update are still inaccessible though.

Phone, internal and SD card are accessible through settings. Internal and SD card show how much free space I have left but phone storage just says I have 3 gigs available.