Is it worth buying this phone?

plaguepoop

Reaction score
I have been reading pages upon pages of issues regarding this droid regarding issues with its camera and terrible battery life. I currently have a droid x which I will be giving to my dad, and that leaves me to purchase so something else for me (used). At the moment, I have a deal for 150 to purchase the D3 with all of the accessories (dock, extended battery, car mount, ect.) However, I am no longer sure if it is something I should purchase or not.

Have there been any changes to the issues Ive mentioned in recent updates?

Can you recommend this phone over another comparable phone (Under $150 used)?

Should I just buy another Droid X or Droid 2 for about 70-80 dollars? (Ive already purchased my mom a brand new droid 2 for $75)

GreenSnow

Reaction score
I have been reading pages upon pages of issues regarding this droid regarding issues with its camera and terrible battery life. I currently have a droid x which I will be giving to my dad, and that leaves me to purchase so something else for me (used). At the moment, I have a deal for 150 to purchase the D3 with all of the accessories (dock, extended battery, car mount, ect.) However, I am no longer sure if it is something I should purchase or not.

Have there been any changes to the issues Ive mentioned in recent updates?

Can you recommend this phone over another comparable phone (Under $150 used)?

Should I just buy another Droid X or Droid 2 for about 70-80 dollars? (Ive already purchased my mom a brand new droid 2 for $75)

I personally love my D3. I am a big advocate of the physical keyboard, and its one of the only phones that has it. Are you going to be Rooting it? even stock I did not have issues with my battery not lasting or the camera not working. The battery is significantly better after rooting and removing bloatware and optimizing cpu settings, but if you are getting the extended battery then you shouldn't have problems anyways. Most of the camera issues that I have heard are related to the ICS Roms, I do remember the stock Camera app being a little sluggish but worked perfectly fine (after rooting and optimizing that went away and is very responsive now)

If you are looking for ICS in a phone this is not the one for you, this phone will never have it, it does not have the RAM capacity to support it (I don't think even custom ICS ROMs will ever be stable, this is just my opinion).

This is simply my opinion.

estobaughn

Reaction score
As much as I love my d3 and my og droid. I love the physical keyboard, the size, and quality of these phones butI have come to the realization that the only suggestion I can or will ever give is to just get a "nexus" phone whichever one it is at the time. Our phone is not even two years old and has basically been discontinued. We won't see any update other than security updates to stop us from rooting our phones. Which in my opinion is the reason most of us get an android phone. Because it is based on an open source background. So that joe schmoe can make his totally fatastic rom in his parents basement. I really dislike the fact that we aren't even given the option to screw up our own phones and crawl back to whoever and be charged some ridiculous amount to fix the phone. I am sorry for the rant but I just read that galaxy nexus phones at getting jelly bean. And I am gonna put my money where my mouth is and only buy "nexus" devices from now on. and when verizon asks me why I am leaving for whichever provider has the lastest greatest nexus I am gonna tell them because I want to root my phone and I don't want to do some crazy hack that leaves my phone nuetered.

Ok I am done. Have a great night

OP
P

plaguepoop

Reaction score
Well it sounds like you feel that everything is inferior to Nexus devices, which doesnt really help me. I am completely aware of more capable phones being available, you just need to consider not everyone can afford the greatest new thing. My last phones, the droid, droid x, and now the droid 3, were all purchased used atleast a year after they were released (Im on page plus, verizon's sister network).

Having said that, I did purchase the droid 3 with all the goodies. I do like it, though I have to get used to a keyboard again. I really like how the extended batter cover is almost exactly like the origianl cover. I have yet to go through a complete cycle so I dont know how the battery will be.

What are the benefits to rooting the phone? I know everyone talks about bloatware, but how is bloatware going to affect me? Will the battery significantly improve?

GreenSnow

Reaction score
Well it sounds like you feel that everything is inferior to Nexus devices, which doesnt really help me. I am completely aware of more capable phones being available, you just need to consider not everyone can afford the greatest new thing. My last phones, the droid, droid x, and now the droid 3, were all purchased used atleast a year after they were released (Im on page plus, verizon's sister network).

Having said that, I did purchase the droid 3 with all the goodies. I do like it, though I have to get used to a keyboard again. I really like how the extended batter cover is almost exactly like the origianl cover. I have yet to go through a complete cycle so I dont know how the battery will be.

What are the benefits to rooting the phone? I know everyone talks about bloatware, but how is bloatware going to affect me? Will the battery significantly improve?

Simply put "rooting" the phone grants the user access the the "root" files and the guts of the OS. Just rooting wont do anything at all. You have to either research on your own what "bloatware" (which is all those apps that come stock on your phone that you will never use) OR you "flash" and ROM. A ROM is in short a customized OS for the phone. Developers take the stock source code and tweak it to their liking to make it more efficient at what it should do. To "flash"a ROM basically means to install a new OS. The way bloatware affects your phone is a little different depending on each app. The reason these apps eat your battery is because they might be running the background therefore hogging RAM or constantly cycling the CPU therefore consuming battery or simply just taking up storage on the SD card.

there are a ton of articles talking about rooting and definitions of terms that will help you understand it better. This explaination barely scratches the surface.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

OP
P

plaguepoop

Reaction score
Sounds good thanks.

I was just looking for a compelling reason to root this specific phone, the droid 3. It doesnt seem like I would personally benefit from rooting the phone.

Thanks for the responses!

GreenSnow

Reaction score
Like I said that's the simple version. Was there something you were specifically hoping for?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

apotheosis415

Reaction score
No

I have had issues and more issues. Guy at Verizon told me he gets more calls about D3s than any other.

GreenSnow

Reaction score
I have had issues and more issues. Guy at Verizon told me he gets more calls about D3s than any other.

I suppose you could say generally a certain model can have a lot of problems, but my specific device works great for me and I know there are a lot of people out there that also like it.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

DjTecniq

Reaction score
I love the Droid 3. It's my first smart phone. I've gotten so used to the slider keyboard from non-smart phones which is what I love best about the D3 it has the touchpad and slider keyboard the best of both worlds. I had a free upgrade so I go the Droid 3 it costed $70 with a mail-in rebate of $50 so technically I only payed $20 bucks for it. Best $20 I ever spent! Hahahahah. The Galaxy S3 is amazing though I'd get that if I were you and save your money. It's super fast.

DjTecniq

Reaction score
I have had a slight problem with the camera app crashing while after taking pictures. It doesn't happen all the time but it does bother me a bit. It's my first smart phone though so I'm not hating.

akhi216

Reaction score
I own two phones, this and the Droid Bionic, and as much a fan as I am of the Bionic I have to say the the D3 has the superior call quality. In fact the D3 has the best call quality I've tested. On a raggedy bus with people talking in the background I can hear the people I talk to and they can hear me with no problem whatsoever. I really wish that the D3 had LTE though.