is it really worth rooting?

TDJ112

Reaction score
To me, applying the leak is more risky than rooting....Rooting has very little risks...ROM's on the other hand can sometimes be a lil tricky....but as long as you make backups....There's almost always a method to unbrick....make sure you read, read, read and more reading before you attempt anything.

But nowadays....its rare that you'll be bricked permanetly...unless you have a hard time reading instructions

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You are right... read, read, read! Applying the leak is not the same as rooting a rom. The leaks are the manufacturer's (in this case motorola) update they are creating and finds its way to us. Speculation is that it does on purpose so they can unofficially test it out but technically it was leaked accidentally. Roms are created by individual developers and can change several things in the way the os functions. You don't need to root to install an update but you do need to root to install a rom.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

hj4044

Reaction score
Thanx :) now that I have utility 1.81 where do I go from here to root?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Extract the utility.zip to your c:\\, I recommend to its own folder. Make sure you've selected usb debugging on your raszr and when you connect your phone to the computer give it time to find the Moto drivers (included in the utility) and select anything but Mass Storage for the type of usb connection when prompted. After connecting your phone, using the usb cable that came with your razr, run the utility's .bat file. Select option 2 and don't disconnect the phone until you see "exploit successful" on your computer screen. Bam...you're rooted. Disconnect your phone from the computer.

Also I recommend you have at least 80% charge on your phone before you try anything like root, flashing a rom etc. I always shoot for 90%, but most experts claim 80% is sufficient. If you're flashing a ROM or something and you get down to below 20% charge you may encounter a failed flash and a phone that will not boot or charge with out a specific process to get it going again...it's a hassle...charge your phone before rooting or flashing.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
hj4044 said:

You may not be ready to root because even though it is very easy to do, you really should read up on it as much as possible. This thread gives you some helpful info but there are lots of others that do also. Read through the entire thread. It gives you info in how to root and some basic info on protecting your phone after you're rooted.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/217958-prevent-disable-ota-ics.html

OP
sniperf250

sniperf250

Reaction score
If i rooted would i be able to add more homescreens to my phone?

Sent from my DROID RAZR in blue! using Droid Forums

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Sniper, you can add more homescreens to your phone without rooting. Several market launchers allow that ability... Go Launcher, Nova, Apex, etc.

OP
sniperf250

sniperf250

Reaction score
I've used go launcher in the past but like the standard ics launcher better reason i asked is everytime i download an app it shows up on my homescreen and dont know how to turn that feature off

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I've used go launcher in the past but like the standard ics launcher better reason i asked is everytime i download an app it shows up on my homescreen and dont know how to turn that feature off

That is fricken annoying to say the least and drove me bananas. For whatever reason, someone thought it was a good idea to have set as default that every app you add would automatically add the app's icon to your homescreen. Whoever considered that truly does not understand your typical Android user. We like our androids because we can make them look like we want them and that we install lots of apps (because we can) and would never have enough room on our homescreens to have an icon for every app we install.

Okay, my rant is done. Now to fix your problem. Go into playstore, then settings and uncheck "Auto-add widgets" (which is a stupid label because it is not only widgets it auto-adds but every app).

For all those apps that you already have their icon sitting on your homescreen, long press on the icon and slide it to the top of the screen then release the icon into the red glow "remove" heaven.

OP
sniperf250

sniperf250

Reaction score
Forgive me if i sound lazy but doing that is what was getting old that's why i asked about extra screens i was being lazy with it lol thanks though for all your help again