Is FM Radio on the Droid 4 possible?

r314bd

Reaction score
This was a very early leak before the phone came out so I don't know how accurate it is, but it indicates that the Droid 4 may have the hardware necessary for FM radio reception. I tried installing the MotoFMRadio.apk but it force closes. Anyone know if this is possible?

EDIT: It is! Spirit FM works perfectly (root required).

Thanks K1ick :)

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This was a very early leak before the phone came out so I don't know how accurate it is, but it indicates that the Droid 4 may have the hardware necessary for FM radio reception. I tried installing the MotoFMRadio.apk but it force closes. Anyone know if this is possible?

I know that the D2 has FM, but the reception sucks and I can't get strong enough signal to determine if it is stereo. I don't remember the apk but I think it came from the DX. I don't know about the D4.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

WaltA

Reaction score
I, too, would be interested in if the Droid 4 has the FM radio.

I know the Droid 3 has the FM radio. However, you must have an earphone plugged in before opening the app, otherwise it will automatically close. Apparently, the earphone doubles as the antenna. Did you have an earphone plugged in when you tried?

K1ick

Reaction score
Huh, I have tried Spirit FM on my droid 4 and it works perfectly, the only thing I had to do was have it rooted....

FunN4Lo

Reaction score

Thanks for the MotoFMRadio.apk reminder. Works great on non-rooted Bionic. I lost the app and kept meaning to look for it again, but kept forgetting

me_droid

Reaction score
K1ick said:
Huh, I have tried Spirit FM on my droid 4 and it works perfectly, the only thing I had to do was have it rooted....

Same here, Spirit FM works very well but requires root. My D4 gets better reception than most of my stand alone receivers. Keep in mind though you MUST use headphones to act as an antenna or you will get no reception at all. You can still play through the speaker- the app has a button to toggle between headphones and speaker. Well done dev!

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
THANK YOU!

Spirit FM works perfectly...wish I had known about it sooner