Droid 2's FM Radio Unlocked

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
droid2.jpg

The FM radio feature that was previously hidden in the hardware of the Droid 2 has just been unlocked by XDA and you can all have it. It seems this has became a game of hide and seek with the manufacturer and our great Android community. It starts out wit a company like Motorola putting a cool feature on a device, but then before releasing it... hides it for what might be a future update. Then the game is now the developers turn. They start out not knowing what they can do with the phone, but going by the specs. Later on they go through some codes... Find a feature, then unlock it.

Is that not just a very annoying way to work?
Regardless... If FM radio is what you want, FM radio is what you will get.
Via: AndroidC

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good find. I'm sure a lot of people will be glad to see this.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
My wife has the D2 and I never looked but Im guessing it doesnt/didnt have the Radio app like the DX has?

Pandemic187

Reaction score
We've actually been able use FM radio on Matt's Epic Unleashed ROM for D2 for weeks now.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why would the functionality be there, but the app and other necessary files NOT be included??? I dont get it....it aint like it was gonna raise the cost of making the phone.

Druuseph

Reaction score
Note about this hack;

The system folder on the stock ROM is already very close to full. You will not be able to move the needed files into system without deleting bloatware apps. I removed the Amazon MP3 and the Blockbuster app. If you plan on doing an OTA update in the future either backup your ROM BEFORE you modify or DON'T DO IT AT ALL. The bloatware apps need to be in place to do OTA updates. I encourage everyone to backup the least adulterated of their configurations and use that for any OTA update in the future.

Pandemic187

Reaction score
I just noticed this was posted on XDA three weeks ago. That's why...

xmguy

Reaction score
I did all the required things to do on my Droid 1 hoping that it was backwards compatible.

Cunha

Reaction score
The hardware has to be there. For some reason it was apparently disabled on the D2. Weird.

xmguy

Reaction score
I did all the required things to do on my Droid 1 hoping that it was backwards compatible.

and what were the results?

The app would launch but would hang on "Starting FM Radio, Please wait". I ported the app logs too see if the XDA people could help. Since both phones have the same chipset for FM is concerned.