Is anyone else dropping Verizon when they're contract runs out?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon has great coverage they are always expanding the network. Guess what all of this costs money. If you care about none of these go to Sprint.
I agree with you that it takes profits to reinvest in the best network and upgrades to remain the best. However, I have to look at it from a financial standpoint. Here's my situation:

5 lines on Family Share, 4 iPhones and my Thunderbolt. After taxes $255 per month. That includes 1400 anytime minutes, Friends and Family 10 non-VZW numbers, unlimited text/pix and unlimited data. On average, we use between 15 and 20 GB per month of data between the 5 lines. I spoke to a nice VZW call center rep, and we did the math. With 15 GB month on the new plan is about $375 BEFORE taxes. That means we're looking at about $415 to $420 per month after taxes. That is an increase of $165 per month. Do I love the VZW network, absolutely, will I miss it, absolutely, is it worth the jump in price of $165 per month, heck no, I'm on a budget as it is, and our 5 lines do share in the bills, but that's just way too much to stay unfortunately. Plus I had a very good 3-1/2 years with VZW as an employee and loved it a lot.

I called Sprint last week one night and discussed pricing. With 5 smartphones with Sprint with unlimited data will cost about $255. So, once each phone is eligible to upgrade, we'll be porting out. My phone is first, so I hope there's a good Android phone available on the Sprint network. I'm looking right now preliminarily at the Samsung Note 2.

That's my dilemma and the reasons I must leave VZW in the next few months.

crb

Reaction score
I agree with you that it takes profits to reinvest in the best network and upgrades to remain the best. However, I have to look at it from a financial standpoint. Here's my situation:

5 lines on Family Share, 4 iPhones and my Thunderbolt. After taxes $255 per month. That includes 1400 anytime minutes, Friends and Family 10 non-VZW numbers, unlimited text/pix and unlimited data. On average, we use between 15 and 20 GB per month of data between the 5 lines. I spoke to a nice VZW call center rep, and we did the math. With 15 GB month on the new plan is about $375 BEFORE taxes. That means we're looking at about $415 to $420 per month after taxes. That is an increase of $165 per month. Do I love the VZW network, absolutely, will I miss it, absolutely, is it worth the jump in price of $165 per month, heck no, I'm on a budget as it is, and our 5 lines do share in the bills, but that's just way too much to stay unfortunately. Plus I had a very good 3-1/2 years with VZW as an employee and loved it a lot.

I called Sprint last week one night and discussed pricing. With 5 smartphones with Sprint with unlimited data will cost about $255. So, once each phone is eligible to upgrade, we'll be porting out. My phone is first, so I hope there's a good Android phone available on the Sprint network. I'm looking right now preliminarily at the Samsung Note 2.

Buy new phones outright and keep your plan.

I contemplated the switch back to Sprint, but their coverage is nowhere near as good.
I drive a truck and coverage is everything. I use too much data to go to the share everything plan. I don't want to drop $600 plus per phone, but I'm left with no other good option. Even if I restrict my data the smaller share everything plans are more expensive. We gave 5 lines with 2 smart phones. 1400 minutes $99.99, $9.99 extra per line, and $30 each for the two unlimited data lines. We don't use but half of our minutes as most calling is m2m, friends and family circle, or nights and weekends. We will be dropping at least 1 line and possibly 3 depending on what my parents want to do.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score

damn that's a good deal on Verizon. I pay 230 after tax for 4 lines with internet on 2 with 1400 mins unlimited texts pics... and I'm on a 22% discount.. guess ur discount is huge lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I'm loyal to Android but not to VZ. When my contract is up, whoever has the best deal wins my business. It's just that simple.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

dlallen66

Reaction score
I hate Android. They've made it impossible to use without being an Android expert. I won't leave Verizon because out here there's only VZ and that worthless AT&T with very little coverage from them. Sprint would be nice but they don't get off the beaten path. I do believe I may resort back to a simple cell phone. All these smart phones have become stupid phones and if your not into the social networking crap your wasting your money. I like to browse the net and send messages but I don't want to share everything I'm doing with everyone and I don't give a rat's backside what everyone else is doing. I would love to have a Windows based phone with a physical keyboard. Android has become so cluttered and non user friendly I just want to take my D4 and use it for target practice. ICS was a worthless update and should be removed ASAP.

robert70

Reaction score
dlallen66 said:
I hate Android. They've made it impossible to use without being an Android expert. I won't leave Verizon because out here there's only VZ and that worthless AT&T with very little coverage from them. Sprint would be nice but they don't get off the beaten path. I do believe I may resort back to a simple cell phone. All these smart phones have become stupid phones and if your not into the social networking crap your wasting your money. I like to browse the net and send messages but I don't want to share everything I'm doing with everyone and I don't give a rat's backside what everyone else is doing. I would love to have a Windows based phone with a physical keyboard. Android has become so cluttered and non user friendly I just want to take my D4 and use it for target practice. ICS was a worthless update and should be removed ASAP.

Sounds like you need a nap and a bottle lol jk, really I feel your pain, but I'm always in learning mode so I try to find new things to do with my phone everyday, its useful for more than just facebook I promise.

mekanism

Reaction score

You have to be an expert to use android? Android is still the easiest and best OS out even though ICS leaves much to be desired. If you can navigate windows you can navigate android. As far as social media you don't have to use it, I deleted Facebook months ago, and the share button is an option, you don't have to press it! If you think browsing will be as good on a dumb phone good luck with that! Keep in mind Android is less than 4 years old, it took microsoft over 15 years to get a really polished OS (win7).

Maybe you should just get an IPhone, and when you drop it and the screen breaks (or throw it out of frustration) the Android community will welcome you back.....but not without a few I told you so's!;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a nap and a bottle lol jk, really I feel your pain, but I'm always in learning mode so I try to find new things to do with my phone everyday, its useful for more than just facebook I promise.

haaaaa.. I've left all social media and there's plenty more I use my phone for primarily texts... web browsing.. games... and some calls

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
dlallen66 said:
Nice knowing you.

nikecar

Reaction score

Thanks for your opinion, but i've gotten some noobs hooked on Android products and they love it. I like the customization you can do, rather than being told what you can do (i.e. Apple) with their "icons". I like that I can still use iTunes and have Google Play Manager sync the music automatically. I can also plug my phone into any pc to transfer something, rather than be screwed with Apple.

i don' thave Twitter nor other social media accounts, other than a FB page, fake of course, to get coupon deals. That;s it. i play games, search for things, use maps, stream music, etc. I know my wife says she doesn't want one, but I know she is jealous at times of my phone. She still isn't getting one.

I had the chance to get a physical keyboard as a warranty replacement, but they are all large and bulky, IMHO. Plus, something else physical to break. I like ICS. I like the sweep away feature to remove stuff from the notifcation bar. Disable apps, and kill running apps from memory are all joys to use.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
...All these smart phones have become stupid phones and if your not into the social networking crap your wasting your money...

Though, I don't completely disagree with this. Even iOS, making a big deal out of deeper twitter and FB integration...

I don't think the phones are becoming "stupid" phones, I just think they're trying to pack too much into some of them, and yes, focusing too much on the social aspect of all of it.

crb

Reaction score
I love the social aspect of it. I can keep up with my family via FB, I only have close friends and family as friends. I plan to use it for video chats via Skype when we have a baby next year, I'm a truck driver. I browse the web a lot, lots of texts, videos, and pictures. I use data way more than voice. That may change next year though when my wife gets off the truck.

rochaeliseo

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'm about to just drop the ETF. Seriously Verizon? $144 now for 4GB of data??!! 3 updates behind on my GNex??!! T-Mobile is about to start offering unthrottled unlimited data to their monthly 4G. May have to seriously consider them or Sprint. Plus no more rewards for the loyal 10+ year subscribers? I'm paying more for less and it got old extremely quick, no wonder the Nexus 4 didn't go to them.