Is a screen protector needed?

Roberek

Reaction score
I searched, and couldn't find an answer to this specific question.

Does the droid really need a screen protector?

I ask because ive heard that the screen is scratch-proof.

Right now I have the verizon screen protectors, with bubbls ad it not fitting correctly on the edges, and it does feel a bit plasticy. Though it doesnt resetrict any of the features of the phone.

I also noticed that theres been mini-hairs accumulating in the reciever speaker on the screen side...

Pam

Reaction score
That screen protector they sell is junk. I went through the first pack of three the first day and never got a good bubble-free fit. I went into the store and the customer service reps told me they gave up on them,too - and gave me three more for free. Told me to try trimming the top off (just under the hole for the mic) and a smidge off the sides for abetter fit. I did everything- cleaned the screen, vacuumed it off, used a credit card to apply the film- bubbles, bubbles, bubbles. I hate them! I'd love some recommendations on better ones. iPhone folks rave about crystal film sets from powersuppportusa.com, and I'm wondering if those can be trimmed to fit.

iunknown

Reaction score
I'd vote for body protector. The battery cover is easy to come off and I've already dropped mine when I pulled the phone out of my pocket. It scratched off the matt paint job. now its covered in plastic.

mjs31

Reaction score
I searched, and couldn't find an answer to this specific question.

Does the droid really need a screen protector?

I ask because ive heard that the screen is scratch-proof.

Right now I have the verizon screen protectors, with bubbls ad it not fitting correctly on the edges, and it does feel a bit plasticy. Though it doesnt resetrict any of the features of the phone.

I also noticed that theres been mini-hairs accumulating in the reciever speaker on the screen side...

Tough call. It is glass so much harder to scratch, but technically sand crystals could scratch it. I have not used a screen protector with this phone, but that is your call. I have worried about dropping mine, but I also have not put any type of cover on it.

LordKastle

Reaction score
No. But my old Zune pouch is the perfect fit for my Droid. It is not made of leather or rubber and is more of a pouch that fits like a case would..snug. It is beneficial for me because when I put it in my pocket there is no extra bulk, like there would be with any other type of case.

No screen protector needed when using. There are YouTube's of people taking knives and keys to it and there were no scratches. But I would recommend some covering if you don't plan on having a mini case or pouch when its in your pocket or exposed and out of your possession (Just for precautionary reasons. Very durable though so it could survive without.)

Tekmazter

Reaction score
i have a screen protector as well. Bought a 3 pack from VZ. Complete waste of money. I can't get them to lay down bubble-free either as someone else posted. $12.99 -- a complete waste.

There are many reviews out there about the screen being very durable. I ended up still buying them 'just in case' something were to happen.

Note .. they certainly sacrifice the beauty of this phone while wearing them as well.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
There are plenty of threads regarding a screen protector and many opinions whether it's needed or not. There's even a thread with a video where someone scratches the unprotected screen with a key. Please use the search engine of the forum.

I personally have the Invisible Shield, doesn't hurt to have extra protection.

texas outlaw

Reaction score
There are plenty of threads regarding a screen protector and many opinions whether it's needed or not. There's even a thread with a video where someone scratches the unprotected screen with a key. Please use the search engine of the forum.

I personally have the Invisible Shield, doesn't hurt to have extra protection.

Not to keep beating a dead horse, but I have a question. When a you purchase and Invisible Shield screen protector, does it come with everything needed to do the install? I am only interested in the screen protector as I use a Body Glove for the phone itself.

Thanks in advance for your help.

sstamilio

Reaction score
I went a kiosk in the mall, one of those ones that sell accessories all cell phones and they installed one that fits perfectly. The one protector cost the same as the three that Verizon sells, but it is worth it.

Dommzyd

Reaction score
The guy at the VZ store had a screen protector on his, it looked fine but the edges were a bit messed up.
I'm kinda accident prone so I bought body glove with the clip and everything for it, can't be bothered to waste the money on a screen protector though.

Last edited:

OMEGA5

Reaction score
I have the screen protector from verizon, and mine is installed perfectly. I did however, get the rep at the store to put it on for me as my attempts were pitiful. But the girl at the store that put mine on did a great job. No bubbles, and it fit perfectly. At first glance you can't even tell I have one on there.

texas outlaw

Reaction score
I had the girl at the Verizon store put my first one on and she screwed it up. I tried the second one and munched it. The third went on ok but IMO looks like crap. I am a bit of a perfectionist and bubbles, wrinkles or misalignment just won't do.

vonfink13

Reaction score
i got the screen protectors from verizon and they work great..no bubbles and the fit is good...the trick is to apply it using a credit card to eliminate the bubbles....i have a very nasty scratch on the protector..dont know how it got there but i do think that if it had not been there ..my screen would be scratched....

jbdavies

Reaction score
Not to keep beating a dead horse, but I have a question. When a you purchase and Invisible Shield screen protector, does it come with everything needed to do the install? I am only interested in the screen protector as I use a Body Glove for the phone itself.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Yes. All of the Invisible Shields stuff comes with everything you need to apply the protectors.

I have several of them and absolutely love them. I've had one on my GPS for 3 years now and have had no issues at all.

I'll probably be getting one for my Droid here soon.

Dejavoo

Reaction score
Check out Zagg.com I put one of them on my phone after going to a VZ store. The guy literally took out his keys and with pressure scrapped his screen with the protector on it. I expected the screen protector to be scratched beyond belief. Not a single scratch on the protector. I went to the Zagg web site and they have a lifetime guarantee that their screen protector wont scratch. Before buying google for zagg discounts/coupons, and you will get $5 off. Once I got it in the mail 4 days later, it was super easy to install and not only is it just a screen protector it is a whole phone protector. They are phone specific and custom made with a individual piece for each angle of the phone. It takes a few minutes to install but you will not have any bubbles. I've had mine for 2 weeks now and still in flawless condition. And by the way I'm not on commission I'm just super impressed by the quality.