Have we bought a lie? do we really need a screen protector?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
It'll depend on who you are and how you handle your phone. It's like phone insurance. You may never need it or something will happen that you're glad you had the protector (or wish you did).

That being said, I tried to install the ZAGG, but couldn't do it without having dust or hair under it. When it flipped onto the floor I gave up.

Last edited:

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
i was planning on bying a screen protector but decided i really didnt need one with this. i carry it in my pocket with no case and no scratches here

the3dolla

Reaction score
Same here, I think screen protectors are overrated.. never really scratched a phone I cared about though..

Although, I had a Voyager and now the Droid, so I haven't had too many that I cared about. The Voyager is eh too, so I could care less about it; now that I know better that is..

bpad10

Reaction score
I scratched mine within a week of owning it. It happened when I jumped out of my car when the phone was on my lap (classic drop, I know). The scratch is tiny and hardly noticeable but it still pissed me off.

While it is a tough screen and harder to scratch than any other I've ever had it CAN be done.

I have always used ZAGG products for screen protection(since my LG Dare days anyway) because if you apply them right (which is not hard) you can't even tell they are on. No bubbles, no glare, no change to touchscreen sensitivity. And the zagg covers are actually more of a rubbery substance that is very hard to scratch and if it does, chances are it won't touch your screen unless someone is trying to purposely penetrate it in which yes something that can slice through plastic could technically scratch your screen.

Small price to pay to protect such an expensive tool, plus zagg has lifetime warranty if you register your product so if the protector gets a little scratch you get a new one.

I too have recently scratched mine. I am still pissed. A few weeks ago it fell on the concret and nothing, yet this weekend I had it in my pocket and now there's a 1 inch scratch. I'm perplexed and frustrated. Went naked since november and now I'm almost to the point of wrapping it in bubble wrap:)

Also picked a droid up for my wife today...hoped she loves it as much as I do. Got hers fully protected now....as well as mine....

If you go naked be careful......sunburn isn't the only thing that could hurt

evilsock

Reaction score
There was a gorilla glass thread on here somewhere... Someone said that they got a substantial scratch in their screen. Almost enough to have the phone replaced. Myself... invisible shield is the way to go!!

me too u can still use a case/holster/car cradle, and still have protection for ur droid, and its lifetime gaurentee

rage151

Reaction score
I came from a Blackberry Storm and the screen was quite difficult to scratch. Saw a video someone posted in Crackberry where a guy really tried to scratch the screen with metal things. Before I got one of the three replacements (Storm was buggy), I used my keys and tried to scratch the screen. Went to town on it and it did nothing. Even held in the light and there were no scratches anywhere...not even fine scratches. Glass is a hard substance...I don't think a plastic screen protector is harder.

MarkO

Reaction score
I came from a Blackberry Storm and the screen was quite difficult to scratch. Saw a video someone posted in Crackberry where a guy really tried to scratch the screen with metal things. Before I got one of the three replacements (Storm was buggy), I used my keys and tried to scratch the screen. Went to town on it and it did nothing. Even held in the light and there were no scratches anywhere...not even fine scratches. Glass is a hard substance...I don't think a plastic screen protector is harder.

The glass isn't scratched by metal, it's scratched by something like a grain of sand or porcelain. Of course the protector is not harder than glass. If it was, they'd make the phone's glass out of it. The protector is simply a protector. It essentially absorbes the scratch before it can do it's damage.

Pretty simple. Do they work, yes. Do you need one, no. I've had about a dozen phones over the years and they all got scratched. It's only a matter of time. But your chances of scratching a phone with a protector are reduced significantly.

This is my first protector (skinomi) I've ever used and it's done it's job. In a few months, I might remove it when the rest of the phone is all beat up, but there's nothing worse than a glaring scratch on a brand new phone. ;)

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score
The irony in this is that with "less protection" on the glass I feel like I'm achieving a better droid experience.
I know that looking through dirt & smudges I wasn't viewing the droids FULLEST RESOLUTION..

The dirt, dust & grime made it equivalent in resolution to a lesser phone.

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score
The irony in this is that with "less protection" on the glass I feel like I'm achieving a better droid experience.
I know that looking through dirt & smudges I wasn't viewing the droids FULLEST RESOLUTION..

The dirt, dust & grime made it equivalent in resolution to a lesser phone.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes it can be scratched or damaged. There are multiple threads of people showing/claiming this, and the material gorilla glass is supposedly the same material (although I think ours is a little better) used on the iPhone/iPod touch and it does get scratched.

MIKAN1089

Reaction score
I didn't use screen protectors with my crappy storm never scratched. No protection for my droid still brand new. Screen protectors scratch easy as hell and cost a **** load of money. Not saying its impossible to scratch the screen just treat it like a $500 device and you should be fine. Alpha

Toxik916

Reaction score
I got really drunk on new years and I managed to damage my phone pretty badly. The screen has a tiny scratch but the metal on the outer edges were totally messed up. Thank god my sedio case came in the next day and now the damage is hidden.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I got really drunk on new years and I managed to damage my phone pretty badly. The screen has a tiny scratch but the metal on the outer edges were totally messed up. Thank god my sedio case came in the next day and now the damage is hidden.

Aww man that sucks :mad:

It came in a day to late!!