Have we bought a lie? do we really need a screen protector?

CBLJazz

Reaction score
do you know of anyone who scratched their touch screen because they didn't have a screen protector?

have we been sucked into believing a lie?
do we need this?

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know of anyone who has, or nor have I heard of it.....

IMO, I don't think they're necessary....other than personal preference of the feel certain protectors give your screen

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't know anyone, but at the same time everyone I know with a Droid has a screen protector, so can't really weigh in.. However I have thought the same.. Still though I like to have it for more of a just in case.. I wouldn't want to not have one and then scratch the screen and wish I would have one..

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
my screen got scratched on day 3 of owning my droid. I had it in the clamshell holster and clip I got at verizon. I was SUPER careful not to damage the droid, didn't drop it didn't let it out of my sight, yet some how no day 3 while cleaning the screen I notices a very small fine scratch.

so YES the screen can and does scratch very EASILY and we were NOT lied to

I now have a screen protector on right now, my cat knocked my droid off the kitchen table I softened the fall by trying to catch it like one would with a hacky sack. it landed face first and slide. my screen protector is now scratched, but I am glad I had it one as i do not want to take the chance of further damaging my "gorilla Glass" which IMHO is just as cheesy as plastic.

-=Jason=-

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
There was a gorilla glass thread on here somewhere... Someone said that they got a substantial scratch in their screen. Almost enough to have the phone replaced. Myself... invisible shield is the way to go!!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I can show you video proof that the screen does not get scratched easily. I'm not saying it can't be scratched, but it world take either work or a freak accident for it to happend.

I'll post it upon request, but we already have about 50 of these scratch screen threads up. A search in google on scratching the Droid will show you what I mean.

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There was a gorilla glass thread on here somewhere... Someone said that they got a substantial scratch in their screen. Almost enough to have the phone replaced. Myself... invisible shield is the way to go!!

Well there is the answer on this previous post and the one above it.. I agree Invisis Shield from day one... My friend has the 5 pack from Verizon, but I got the lifetime guarantee and free replacement with Invisi Shield, so planning on sticking with that.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't believe the Droid screen gets scratched easily....dropped mine on pavement and it SLID on the screen like 2 FEET...and did not scratch the screen at all....it did the black part around it but not the actual screen

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't believe the Droid screen gets scratched easily....dropped mine on pavement and it SLID on the screen like 2 FEET...and did not scratch the screen at all....it did the black part around it but not the actual screen

well see you go and do that, and I don't drop it, didn't pocket it, didn't lay it face down, yet my screen got scratched. :cus:

-=Jason=-

Mamaperk

Reaction score
I have had two that were scratched ... the first one had a minor ding but the second was scratched on the day I got it while I was on my way to Best Buy to purchase the InvisaSheild thing ... from a gum wrapper in my hoodie.
Didn't take much at all to scratch either one ... these are both Droids that were replaced for bad sensors so maybe that had something to do with it although it seems unlikely. I'm keeping my screen protected to be safe. Here is one thread that we discussed it:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-accessories/12965-steinheil-crystal.html

AZDroid09

Reaction score
The glass is hard to scratch with some materials, like keys in the video, but scratches easily with some sand. I went without a screen protector for weeks and only have one very hard to see, very fine scratch. I put a screen protector back on after noticing it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have had two that were scratched ... the first one had a minor ding but the second was scratched on the day I got it while I was on my way to Best Buy to purchase the InvisaSheild thing ... from a gum wrapper in my hoodie.
Didn't take much at all to scratch either one ... these are both Droids that were replaced for bad sensors so maybe that had something to do with it although it seems unlikely. I'm keeping my screen protected to be safe. Here is one thread that we discussed it:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-accessories/12965-steinheil-crystal.html

Sorry. You cannot scratch a Droid with a gum wrapper. Glass, specially alligator glass does not scratch that easy. I suggest it was done some other way.

[video=youtube;eh2g7AIHdc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh2g7AIHdc8[/video]

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

well see you go and do that, and I don't drop it, didn't pocket it, didn't lay it face down, yet my screen got scratched. :cus:

-=Jason=-

I've told you and told you, "quit carrying your Droid in your pocket with your loose diamonds!!"

Now to my real reply. I carry my droid in either my shirt pocket or my jeans pocket (with keys, coins, small pocket knife, etc.) and it is not scratched. I saw the video of the guy trying to scratch it with the sharp edge of a key and decided it was scratch resistant enough for me. Notice I said "scratch resistant". It can be scratched, but with reasonable care I feel ok. If it does get scratched, it's 100% on me.

Oh yeah, and the first day I got my droid I totally screwed up two screen protectors in quick fashion while trying to install them. That probably influenced my decision some too. :) But I thought the "devil may care" attitude sounded much better than I couldn't get a screen protector installed properly!! :)

huskur

Reaction score
I do not baby my phone nor do i abuse it. I just "use" it the way it is intent. I had a screen protector but found it useless. The droid is made with "gorilla glass". Take a look at it on youtube and see. It is very durable and scratch "resistant" (notice i didn't say "proof") because there isn't any glass that is scratch "proof". My droid does not have a single scratch on it and it has taken a tumble or two. The only reason i would use a screen protector is because some of them resist smudges and smearing.