Novices guide to screen protectors

Toast

Reaction score
For those of you wondering if you absolutely need a screen protector, I personally say yes. My previous phone was a iPhone and they claim they are scratch resistant...the term is far from false. The screens are resistant to many things as is the Droid's. Though the word is over looked. "Scratch resistant" is exactly that...RESISTANT. Doesn't mean it wont.

So how would you apply a screen protector? Its quite simple. For this tutorial I used Verizon's brand of screen protectors. They are easy to use, and come supplied with the required materials.

Lets get started!

• Before applying the screen protector, line up the protector to make sure you have the proper fitting and to give yourself an idea as to how you want it.
  • Wipe screen with the supplied cloth (Verizons screen protectors include one). If your package did not come with a cloth use a CLEAN satin cloth and wipe any debris and oil marks.
  • Verizons screen protectors for the droid have clear plastic protectors...for the protector on each side. Peel the backing that covers the sticky side and start from the top. Line up the protector and slowly lay the protector down from the top and use an available finger to chase the protector down as your other hand holds the opposite edge up from the phone.
  • Once done, remove the protectors other clear plastic protector and voila!
  • Now you may enjoy your beastly phone with a handy screen protector applied like a true professional!

*note* I was going to put this in the "How to" section but currently cannot for some reason. If anyone wants a video or a picture by picture version pm me and I'll get one right away.
-Toast

droidilac

Reaction score
When I first got my Droid (about 1 week after release date) I stumbled upon this site. A lot of people were saying the Verizon protectors didn't work as well as intended. I used one. It was free. My sister gave them to me.

To the date I haven't had a problem. As long as you make sure you avoid the air bubbles or get rid of them you should be perfectly fine.:)

OP
T

Toast

Reaction score
I work with a lot of stickers mainly because me and my buddies ride dirt bikes and atvs. Either I or another guy usually apply the vinyls and the same technique applies. To have a near flawless application 40% depends on how clean your surface is. the other 60% (imo) is skill and technique. I think most of the screen protectors are generally just a clear plastic with adhesive on the back. The only thing that would be a variable would be the gauge of the protector. To say some brands are worse as far as applying wise really would be ignorant. Since the screens that are being protected are a flat, pore less surface, almost any adhesive should suffice as long as it isnt super glue lol. The main problem is the gauge of the protector. Really really thin ones wont cut it as a protector. It's the stiff thicker ones you really want. Verizon's are simply perfect as far as I am concerned. They fit perfectly, they adhere without a problem, and they are thick to resist deeper gouges.

Last edited:

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
For those of you wondering if you absolutely need a screen protector, I personally say yes. My previous phone was a iPhone and they claim they are scratch resistant...the term is far from false. The screens are resistant to many things as is the Droid's. Though the word is over looked. "Scratch resistant" is exactly that...RESISTANT. Doesn't mean it wont.

So how would you apply a screen protector? Its quite simple. For this tutorial I used Verizon's brand of screen protectors. They are easy to use, and come supplied with the required materials.

Lets get started!

• Before applying the screen protector, line up the protector to make sure you have the proper fitting and to give yourself an idea as to how you want it.
  • Wipe screen with the supplied cloth (Verizons screen protectors include one). If your package did not come with a cloth use a CLEAN satin cloth and wipe any debris and oil marks.
  • Verizons screen protectors for the droid have clear plastic protectors...for the protector on each side. Peel the backing that covers the sticky side and start from the top. Line up the protector and slowly lay the protector down from the top and use an available finger to chase the protector down as your other hand holds the opposite edge up from the phone.
  • Now you may enjoy your beastly phone with a handy screen protector applied like a true professional!

*note* I was going to put this in the "How to" section but currently cannot for some reason. If anyone wants a video or a picture by picture version pm me and I'll get one right away.
-Toast

I also thought a screen protector was best, and bought the Verizon Droid 3 pack protectors.

The directions on the pack are excellent. Is there really any need to change them?

OP
T

Toast

Reaction score

Lets get started!

-Toast

I also thought a screen protector was best, and bought the Verizon Droid 3 pack protectors.

The directions on the pack are excellent. Is there really any need to change them?

Change? Depends. I didn't read the instructions because I chose what was comfortable for me. Now my instructions may be similar (oh well) I've read a few posts about people having bubble issues and just watched a video of some guy using the new nexis dump on his droid. He may be able to install a new rom dump...but cannot install a screen protector very well : /