Is 4G worth the price? I say no...

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Check this article out Verizon Wireless?s New Plan: So Long Unlimited Data, Hello Buckets? - PCWorld. There is no doubt that 4g will be more expensive. Also 4g will not be fully capable for a year or 2. Will these new 4g lte phones even be backwards compatible, or are they going to force us into a 4g plan. My 3g is pretty fast, why do I need to pay ridiculous amounts of money to greedy verizon.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
4G phones can access 3G, but like Sprint, they'll charge extra whether you use it or not.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
4G phones can access 3G, but like Sprint, they'll charge extra whether you use it or not.

So if I have a 4g phone and I just want to use 3g, I will still get charged extra? More than I would if I had an old 3g phone?

Beka27

Reaction score
Probably. As has been said in the dozen or so threads on this topic, Verizon is a business, they are not developing this network to "give it away" at the same cost and just break even. They're trying to make money. To do so, they have to charge more money.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You know, there's another way to make money, which is called selling the service for the same price to MORE customers.

Everything is speculation. The only thing we know for certain is that LTE mobile broadband plans were flat (and a few options actually cheaper) on data cards, tablets, modems, etc...

Caps are definitely coming, but that doesn't mean that prices will go up for everyone or even most (depends on where the cap is set). With the IPhone coming to suck up bandwidth Verizon HAS to upconvert people and so $10 more will be the max, if it goes up at all.

As for the ETF's, smartphones retail for $600 and contract prices are $200-$300. That's a lot of money to make-up if people cancel service, although by rights it should decrease at least partially over time.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Probably. As has been said in the dozen or so threads on this topic, Verizon is a business, they are not developing this network to "give it away" at the same cost and just break even. They're trying to make money. To do so, they have to charge more money.

^exactly, and for the people that don't want to pay for it DON'T USE IT... get a prepaid phone or some cheap service from elsewhere. Noone is forcing you to have a high-end device or to use 4G. If you want to save money get a cheap prepaid phone or something and stop complaining... If you want a smart-hone and/or top end service (i.e. speeds coverage, phones) than shut the mount and open the wallet. There's plenty of cheap alternatives out there.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry...I created a "beat-a-dead-horse" thread :)

I am sure they are making well enough now on us, to cover the expenses of their new 4g network, they are just using the 4g terminology to rip us off further, really how much faster can it be? Data speeds vary so much anyways. Also I do not care about browsing the web while I am on a phone call. I have a business idea, I am going sell tootsie rolls, add some more chocolate to them and the call them 4g tootsie rolls and charge more for them lol

jev

Reaction score
If they go to a tiered data plan for a cheaper price I have no problem upgrading. Most of my data usage is on wifi and my wife uses hardly any data at all. Add to that my daughter and son want to upgrade to Droids when our contract is up, then I could use a break in pricing. My bill now is over $200 a month, I can't/won't pay much more for 4g.

shmoo

Reaction score
As more light starts being shed on this topic I may very well be leaving big red and heading for sprint or Tmo.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, there is a breaking point for me. Once price for services (not much different services aka price gouging) hits a certain point, I am canceling and going back to using portable computers for all my needs. My phone will then be somewhere between the land of prepaid and 3g. 4g is a no go for me.

Detonation

Reaction score
If you think all carriers rip you off, maybe you shouldn't be paying for a smartphone then. Go buy a wifi only device and stop complaining.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'll gladly pay for higher speeds. Would be nice not to but ...... : )

hoppermi

Reaction score
How are they going to charge you for something you can't get? It might be a couple of years before they can guarantee 4G where I live. Does that mean I can't get a Bionic or Thunderbolt on my 3G plan? There must be a way to disable 4G for customers who don't want or can't get it.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
As more light starts being shed on this topic I may very well be leaving big red and heading for sprint or Tmo.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Do they offer much better? I have been looking at others, but it seems like there plans are just as expensive. I would love to get an evo on sprint if the plans are cheaper than verizon.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sorry...I created a "beat-a-dead-horse" thread :)

I am sure they are making well enough now on us, to cover the expenses of their new 4g network, they are just using the 4g terminology to rip us off further, really how much faster can it be? Data speeds vary so much anyways. Also I do not care about browsing the web while I am on a phone call. I have a business idea, I am going sell tootsie rolls, add some more chocolate to them and the call them 4g tootsie rolls and charge more for them lol

You probably would charge more for those 4g tootsie rolls because there is more product in there lol. If you sell them at the same price, you're losing money.

The point is, it's a new technology. I like to think of it this way, in terms of TV. You still have your standard SD format and HD format. HD format is, of course, becoming more standard, but not quite yet, which is why I'm paying $10/mo more to enjoy the service. Yes, both formats allow me to watch my programs, but HD is better. It enhances the experience of watching tv, therefore making it more enjoyable. 3g and 4g will both provide data, but 4g is better. It may not be better now, since it's nowhere nearly as well covered as Verizon's 3g, but eventually it will be. You pay more to get a better experience.