4G pricing. Weak!

pdm0376

Reaction score
Lovely and we just jumped on with Verizon this month from Alltel. Talk about screwing myself. Damn it :icon_evil:

thelion

Reaction score
The article is WRONG.

The unlimited plan is NOT capped at 5GB. There is no cap on device data. That limit is for tethering. Data usage on the phone has no limit. That is what "unlimited" means.

So, let's see. They don't link to the source. They don't properly check their information...hmmm I think I'll wait for a more legitimate article before I get all bent out of shape.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Silver Member
Reaction score
it's all speculation at this point. the $29.99 unlimited web and email plan used to be rumored at 5gb/mo and people seemed to be OK with that at the time.

vzw may see that users aren't switching over unless they get the unlimited cap or they might not even care.

acturbo

Reaction score
Although the company's current "unlimited" data plans are capped at 5GB per month, with overage rates of $0.05/MB, the upcoming business model is said to adopt a form of usage-based pricing across the entire range of data consumption.

I thought this was a myth and verizons unlmited plans did not have an overage fee? Am I wrong here?

Edit: question answered I was too late

dylanthecat

Reaction score
My data usage has dropped a lot since getting the Droid. It switches to WIFI at the office and at home, where I am about 85% of the time. I must be boring.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I think it's a good thing. Why should I be subsidizing people that use a huge amount of bandwith?

I don't use gigs/month yet I'm paying for it.

Either they pay more or I pay less. I'm good with that.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think it's a good thing. Why should I be subsidizing people that use a huge amount of bandwith?

In total agreement. As long as they keep a respectable limit for the rest of us it shouldn't affect anyone other than the 'bandwidth hogs'.

Rudy

Reaction score
it's all speculation at this point. the $29.99 unlimited web and email plan used to be rumored at 5gb/mo and people seemed to be OK with that at the time.

vzw may see that users aren't switching over unless they get the unlimited cap or they might not even care.

Exactly, all speculation. Thread title is misleading.

aacanela73

Reaction score
The 5g data plan is strickly for data card users. It has nothing to do with data usage on smartphones. The current plan is 29.99 for unlimited data and email on smartphones and blackberrys. Verizon offers two data plans for internet usage for computers, 39.99 for 250 mb and 59.99 for 5 g. These plans run on Data cards that you plug into your computer. The lines are set up on the accounts just like if you have another cell phone on the account. Use all the data you want on your cell phone its covered under the thirty that you pay for the smartphone.

Last edited:

LrdElderon

Reaction score

I don't know. I think they should just keep it like they have it now. Unlimited as long as it's through the phone and 5gb or whatever cap if you try and tether to a computer.

But I don't like the whole they pay more or I pay less thing... that's a bit of a slippery slope and if the did implement that it could bite a lot of people in the ass. Especially smartphone folks.

edit: additional posts made while I was thinking clarified it anyways.

JamesX

Reaction score
Didn't Comcast pay a huge settlement for throttling people's downloads when they advertised "Unlimited"? Pretty sure other company all learned from that court case.

Verzion Rep have came on here and said the 5 gig is only for datacards and such and not for Smartphones.

There is no reason to discuss whether it is good or not till we actually see some pricing.

If they made it $30.00 per month for 25 gigs, I would have zero issue with it. There is no way I can imagine myself using more than that on a Smartphone.

If they made it $30.00 for 1 gig, then I would hound their customer support till they let me opt out of my contract.

JGard

Reaction score
I don't see it as a problem. Once 4G is available, you won't need cable internet or FIOS or whatever you have now, as most 4G will be faster than the $45+ per month you're paying now. I'd be fine with $50-75/mo for unlimited, or even 5-10GB of data since I'd be using it as my only means of internet connection, tethering all devices through my cell phone or whatever it is I had on 4G.

And really, you pay to play. You want to use a ton of bandwidth, you pay for it. Those who don't use it, don't pay. Fair is fair.

StupidGenius

Reaction score
I'm with you Martin and CK. I have no problem with this. If Verizon were to let people surf and DL like those iPhone users on AT&T's network, we'd soon fall into the hole they are. Then we'd have a bunch of people complaining about connection problems and how they need to do something about. I know AT&T's network sucked before the iPhone but it's totally crippled them now. Hopefully it'll be a low, medium or high option. Verizon needs to make it very easy for users to check their usage though. Perhaps there's an app for that? ;)