Is 4G worth the price? I say no...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Not to get off track on a political tangent...but if all these technology service providers (evil time warner, verizon and so on) are doing so well, why is our U.S. economy in the trash can. Reagan is rolling over in is grave, because his trickle down eco doesnt work with the new era of technology.

technology is not the only thing pushing the U.S economy....

There's a ton more that help with the rise and fall of our economy, but that discussion is definitely off topic.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes dezymond you are right. The point of this thread was to let people know the prices were going up, prolly to $50 for a fixed amount of data - not unlimited. I am definitely going to stick with 3g if that is the case, because I am entirely happy with the service as is, but just want the latest and greatest technology. These 4g phones though will most likely be tied to the 4g plan, but there is always the incredible and droid x (locked bootloader boo!) which are still great phones! Prolly gonna go grab one of those, from ebay.

neubanks89

Reaction score
5-20mps is fast, but is overkill in my opinion and not needed unless one needs to download large files from a server quickly, ftp a huge huge file to a client immediately from ones cell phone, etc. Its not a practical speed for smart phone users. It may be great for streaming hd movies, but verizon will charge you more to tether (unless rooted - good luck with future moto phones)

agreed, honestly the most bandwidth intensive activity I perform is streaming podcasts and with verizon's 3G I never have a problem so in my opinion 4G can stick with the modems and not come to devices for a good while. Some may say that browsing websites is more intensive, but I have to say most sites that take a while to load is not due to the speed of the wireless connection but because of the rendering done by the browser in combination with plugin-delay (flash...) and highly complex websites.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yes dezymond you are right. The point of this thread was to let people know the prices were going up, prolly to $50 for a fixed amount of data - not unlimited. I am definitely going to stick with 3g if that is the case, because I am entirely happy with the service as is, but just want the latest and greatest technology. These 4g phones though will most likely be tied to the 4g plan, but there is always the incredible and droid x (locked bootloader boo!) which are still great phones! Prolly gonna go grab one of those, from ebay.

I have no inside sources or anything, but in a business perspective, tying a 4g plan to 4g hardware is the only way to go. It's exactly like getting a smart phone with Verizon, you are obligated to get a data plan. Now does it make much sense to own a smartphone without a data plan?

In my experience, no. I have owned a smartphone without a data plan, and the phone felt very limited. I mean I had the WiFi option, but finding WiFi (free at least) wasn't easy outside of my house. You're essentially just carrying a bigger "dumb" phone. The data plan on a smartphone is a world of difference, imo. And the difference between 3g and 4g is like day and night.

Tiered or not, I can pretty much guarantee you that 4g devices will require a 4g data plan.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
My 3g is pretty fast, why do I need to pay ridiculous amounts of money to greedy verizon.

Then Don't it's that simple...

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
KZI - Bill Clinton didn't do everything right, lol. Also I shouldn't call time warner evil, cuz my friend works for them and they treat her very well. I am somewhere in between demo and rep, and I do value the need for corporations and capitalism. But I do not want to get political sorry, we should prolly stop before I loose the debate, lol.

Glad to hear, lol. I'm in the same boat. Middle ground is the way of 'common sense' lol. That said both sides have pros and cons. But yes, back on topic.dancedroid Of course we are jumping the gun a bit in the fact that there hasn't even really been a hint at 4G pricing for handsets yet. Guess we'll learn soon enough.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Guys lets kill the talk of politics in this thread. No idea why my statement of Capitalism threw the thread into a political discussion but lets put it to rest.

Can't take you guys anywhere I swear : )

him

Reaction score
I say switch carriers, especially if you are not in one of these 4G markets because if you get a 4G phone you are going to be paying for the service. Also neither of the carriers are even close to the actual 4G spec...Not sprint, not T-Mobile, Not ATT, and neither will Verizon.

Will T-Mobile be raising their prices with this new "4G" era as well? If not i say go with them. That's who i will be going with when i get back from my deployment. At least i know which carrier i wont be with.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I believe Verizon's CES press conference is tomorrow, or so I've heard. Maybe then they'll announce all the 4g goodness; pricing, available markets, tiered or not, etc.

Beka27

Reaction score
I believe Verizon's CES press conference is tomorrow, or so I've heard. Maybe then they'll announce all the 4g goodness; pricing, available markets, tiered or not, etc.

I hope so! As much as I love talking out of my "rear end", it'd be great to have some concrete info!!! Lay all these 4G threads to rest (yeah, right...)

dancedroid

altimax98

Reaction score
The answer to the question is probably no.... What IS worth the price is being able to talk and surf the web at the same time on verizon :)

Not to mention fast speeds

Sent from one of those missing Droids