Is 3G supposed to drop out when making a Call?

Reaction score
New guy to 3g and smart phones here.

I have noticed that before I make a phone call I have 3-4 bars with the 3g logo appearing. When making and during a call, the bars drop to 1 and the 3g logo goes away.

Is that normal?

I was under the impression that 3G, besides data, also helped out the call quality, is that not correct?

Thanks.

coolkidd

Reaction score
CDMA is not like GSM... In CDMA, you can only do 1 at a time - either call or surf. I might be wrong about this though (I've read it years ago that CDMA cannot do both data and voice at the same time).

BigTex71

Reaction score
You are correct coolkidd, the Verizon network can only do voice OR data at one time - not both. But it can do WiFi and voice at the same time to handle data while on voice (if you are at a WiFi spot.)

Droider

Reaction score
Would it be a big deal (in terms of cost or size of the device) for the CDMA providers like Verizon or Sprint to put two radios into a phone so you could do both 3G data and voice at the same time?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Would it be a big deal (in terms of cost or size of the device) for the CDMA providers like Verizon or Sprint to put two radios into a phone so you could do both 3G data and voice at the same time?

while this sounds all great and would be a logical solution it would kill your battery in no time.... you would be charging your battery 3 or 4 times a day.

now another option to this is to have 2 radios and only have the second radio come on when needed(like when on a call)... but nobody has come to that solution yet.