iPhone 4.0 vs Android 2.1

ChefGregg89

Reaction score
Andriod is Best than Iphone because really AWESOME in the world phone i ever...Honest i dont like iphone it not my style LoL!!!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
How much time is spent surfing? RDP over 3G or Wifi?

Probably 2 -5 hrs surfing. I do most of my browsing of this forum on my Droid. Generally 30min - 2hrs RDP. At home I'm always on WiFi. Everywhere else 3G.

I'm not saying they are lying, but they are getting false results. Most of them simply tried a task killing app and maybe used their phone less that day, had more charge at the end of the day and think it is because of the task killer. Or they didn't use an app that day, there are millions of scenarios and when you look at the hardware and software working together, task killers arent needed.

Uh huh...Well let's just say I'm deeply skeptical. But if you can get someone else to test your "cold fusion" configuration and they can independently come up with the same results, I'm willing to listen. Until then, I'll consider it a fish story.

Shouldn't be hard to find someone here on the board who'd be willing to try what you're suggesting.

So why is it on forums people are so unwilling to accept that something they aren't doing may actually work. These aren't my suggestions. They are suggestions from others that I followed and they worked. Using both task managers I've gained about 50 hours between charges. Period. So to relate this back to the OP multi-tasking is useful. And having background apps be able to finish what they were doing is beneficial. But having stale apps sitting in memory due to inability to properly close apps is a major downfall.

For the same reason that when some guys in Utah claimed to have perfected cold fusion the rest of the world waited until the method had been replicated. No sale.

But again, if you're so sure of your claims I'm sure you can find someone else to conduct an independent test. There are, after all, lots of folks who would like to go 50 hours between charges.

We're waiting.

mrdroid

Reaction score
What exactly are you waiting for? Someone to kick common sense into you? Use the search function or just Google. There are tons of threads with hundreds of people getting 3+ days of runtime after properly implementing task killers. This is the last I'll say on this topic in this thread because you three are stuck on "my way is the only way and no way anyone can get better battery life than me". My Zune also gets 40 hours of play time. I guess I'm lying about that too.

Yep, I'm just here to trick you guys. That's my intent. :icon_rolleyes:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
What exactly are you waiting for? Someone to kick common sense into you? Use the search function or just Google. There are tons of threads with hundreds of people getting 3+ days of runtime after properly implementing task killers. This is the last I'll say on this topic in this thread because you three are stuck on "my way is the only way and no way anyone can get better battery life than me". My Zune also gets 40 hours of play time. I guess I'm lying about that too.

Uh huh... Yup...That's how science works...No replication just "google it."...Right. For the record, I might give your claims a bit more credibility if you hadn't made a number of other questionable assertions. But you still have a chance to prove yourself. Apparently, you'd rather not. I certainly understand. I've had a few fish stories in my time, too.

Darkseider

Reaction score

I just want to know if those numbers you have for browsing and RDP are daily or total across all 3 days.

nbajam

Reaction score
I am interested on more of the details on the multitasking engine.
1. Background audio
2. Voice over IP
3. Background location
4. Push notifications
5. Local notifications
6. Task completion
7. Fast app switching

These are the ones that are affected for multitasking as stock once the update gets pushed.
Now thoughts on that? Since we are just going all over the place about it..lets address it one at a time.

Good suggestion. Here's another. Try to come up with a realistic scenario in which this "limited multitasking" would not meet almost all users' needs. Clearly that's what drove Apple's design.

That's easy. Talking to someone on AIM while trying to do something else. Still not gonna happen on the iphone.

nolanandy

Reaction score
It's a close call... I do like the way iPhone OS4 multitasks though (not having the processes run in the background, it just freezes them where they are, so it saves battery and performance)
How can Apple claim their OS multitasks when the processes DON'T run in the background? Did you mis-state that in your message?

I thought some apps freeze, not all. Apps like games will freeze. Apps like Pandora, tom tom do not freeze.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Android is built to multi-task. I want it checking my email constantly. I want my calender synced often. I want my background apps running. Otherwise what's the point?

I would rather get 13 hours using the phone as it should be and charging it than killing everything constantly and getting twice that.

Task killers are an obsession. There is a reason you have a plug on the phone.

billyidle

Reaction score
You wouldn't double let alone triple your battery life using a 3rd party task killer. To whoever could invent an application that could scientifically be proven to double battery life in a controlled test, would be made rich quickly.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

I'm not calling shenanigans or anything but I'd like to see a video lol! Because I've found that my phone lasts about 1D 6Hrs (15% battery left) with moderate usage (txting, checking e-mail, checking reader articles over wifi) I have Auto Memory manager set to allow for more free mem, and have UlitimateJuice set to allowing syncing every two hours for 5 minutes. I have a few running services though. 50 hrs does sound impressive but I dunno lol, I browse the web reading articles and such over wifi for like an hour and my battery decreases like 10-20%

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's a close call... I do like the way iPhone OS4 multitasks though (not having the processes run in the background, it just freezes them where they are, so it saves battery and performance)
How can Apple claim their OS multitasks when the processes DON'T run in the background? Did you mis-state that in your message?

I thought some apps freeze, not all. Apps like games will freeze. Apps like Pandora, tom tom do not freeze.

You're correct. Apple's design provides for multitasking of selected applications. It also provides for suspension of other applications and restarting them when the user accesses them again. (The term "freeze" is one usually reserved for a malfunctioning application and doesn't apply here except as an insult.)

The Apple design does not provide true multitasking for all third party applications as Android does. What it does (apparently) do is to support simultaneous execution of some applications and the capacity to open, exit from, and return to many other apps in the same state they were in when the user exited. From a user's point of view, the Apple design looks and acts like a "multitasking" environment.

Of course, it goes without saying that all of this amounts to unproven claims at this point. But given Apple's history I suspect they've largely accomplished what they claim.

spillner

Reaction score
Sorry, but until an iPhone can let me use my free turn by turn navigation while streaming Last FM through my bluetooth fm transmitter while my GF surfs the internet in the passenger seat I'll stick with the Droid :icon_ banana:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but until an iPhone can let me use my free turn by turn navigation while streaming Last FM through my bluetooth fm transmitter while my GF surfs the internet in the passenger seat I'll stick with the Droid :icon_ banana:
I will, too. However, I strongly suspect that you are as tolerant of occasional lags, drop outs, and even application freezes that require rebooting as I am. Apple's objective is clearly to sacrifice such unlimited flexibility in favor of a predictable, smooth user experience.

spillner

Reaction score
I will, too. However, I strongly suspect that you are as tolerant of occasional lags, drop outs, and even application freezes that require rebooting as I am. Apple's objective is clearly to sacrifice such unlimited flexibility in favor of a predictable, smooth user experience.

To be honest I've only had to reboot the phone once and that was when I was rooted. I am tolerant of lag as long as its acceptable in duration <3 secs which it usually is if it does lag.

Apples big advantage is its smoother UI, Droid just can't compare (please no "my Droid runs as smooth as butter" replies). I do believe Android phones will perfect this ( I have yet to use a Nexus One so I could be mistaken). That being said, I'll take true multitasking over a smoother UI any day. Not to mention since I've gotten 2.1 I haven't needed to recharge my phone more than once a day which is awesome.

After reading more on the iPhones "multitasking" capabilities its really a slap in the face. Not to mention those who use an iPhone 3g will have to buy a new phone if they want to use 4.0 even though the phone is capable of doing everything needed to run it. Another way Apple tries to get more money out of you. Reading posts on Mac boards, I've seen people angry over this update over its poor push notifications and limited "multitasking". Not alot of iPhone users are really praising this update it seems, 4.0 is still far behind that Android 2.0.