iPAD ruins Android's chances if you ask me...

M

Matth3w

I used an iPad. I was blown away by the oversized iTouch. Truth be told, I only see two usages for this thing.
1) Book reading
2) Comic / Manga Viewing
Thats it. The thing is a Kindle wannabe but it does it right since its in color. It might be good for gaming, Im not sure. The screen is so huge it might just be. I know its a pain in the neck playing Resident Evil 4 on the iTouch since the screen is so small, maybe theyll get it right this time around. Movies, I have no idea. Truthfully, it had me sold on it right there since sometimes the iTouch screen is too small for my tastes and I immediately wanted to purchase one. Then I saw the price and I backed away really fast.
It's awesome for movies. It's awesome for games. It's awesome for surfing the internet. For everything I replaced, it's not that expensive. A Kindle DX is only 10 bucks cheaper than the wifi 16GB. Anyone that buys a Kindle DX instead of the iPad is a moron.

zero7404

Reaction score
It's awesome for movies. It's awesome for games. It's awesome for surfing the internet....Anyone that buys a Kindle DX instead of the iPad is a moron.

you just summarized apple's intent in the industry with these statements ^

fine by me for anyone that 'needs' a device like this and wants to spend more than $ 500 for it, don't let me stop you ...

as for me, the way i've been doing it, music, movies, games, still works for me. if i want to read a book i'll go buy the book and read it on paper or digital copy or audiobook, whichever i like, without any of apple's restrictions.

can't logically see how a company puts out expensive products and nets a clientele even tho they continue to be the biggest, most imposing computer company on the planet.

M

Matth3w

Considering you can read the same books on your Kindle as on your iPad with a free app, I would say you are greatly misinformed about the restrictions that Apple puts on the iPad in regards to reading.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
can't logically see how a company puts out expensive products and nets a clientele even tho they continue to be the biggest, most imposing computer company on the planet.

Apple Inc. - Google Finance - upper left hand corner of the box: click the 1m, 3m, 6m, 1y, and 10y options. They have consistently been a good company. Given that chart can you logically give a reason not to own some of their stock?

Logically it makes sense that their customers are happy with the product and the company. Sure you will get some griping here and there but given the above picture they sure haven't been tricking people for the last decade. They have a good product and people buy it.

They slowly built up their fan base, they continue to come out with innovative products. Folks like that. hmmm. Sort of like what Android as an open source community is doing.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
It's awesome for movies. It's awesome for games. It's awesome for surfing the internet. For everything I replaced, it's not that expensive.
:rofl3: They have brainwashed you .Did you ever played something else than Labyrinth ? You need to try GTA 4 or PSP . Did you watched an HD movie or ever seen a laptop ?

zero7404

Reaction score
:rofl3: They have brainwashed you .Did you ever played something else than Labyrinth ? You need to try GTA 4 or PSP . Did you watched an HD movie or ever seen a laptop ?

+1 ...

based on personal experience, all i have seen iphones/ipads/ipods used for is entertainment ...

i laugh when bloggers try to break out the 'business' model on any of their products ...

M

Matth3w

I'm a pc gamer so no I'm not talking about stuff like that. I'm talking about fun games to play with my wife on a mobile device. This is mainly for portable travel use...I wouldn't try to play a "real" game on anything but a PC tbh.

Wife and I just ordered a second one for her.

I also don't want to take a psp, laptop, movie player, book reader etc everytime I travel. For my needs this replaces all of those.

Seriously, you people that keep comparing these to blu ray players, ps3s, full laptops, desktops, etc...have no fuggin clue what their purpose is. Hint: its not to replace those devices.

When I said it was awesome for games I was speaking to people with an ounce of common sense...awesome for the type of game you would expect to play on a portable, simple, small device.

M

Matth3w

All of you haters...do you feel that the 800k or whatever that have bought one or more...all are idiots? Its such a terrible device that they are sold out everywhere? You think just maybe it might be a great device for certain groups of users and that maybe just maybe the haters are comprised of people that haven't even tried it outside of a store with an open mind?

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I don't know man , when looking at other ultra-portable devices under 1000 $ like this one , the iPad seems so insignificant . [video=youtube;L2eHef6d_wU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2eHef6d_wU]YouTube - Alienware M11x Review[/video]

M

Matth3w

Again, it depends on yurpurpose which you don't seem to understand. You're comparing apples to trucks youreso far off in your comparison.

I've had plenty of top of the line laptops...aside from weighing about ten times as much, the battery lastin about ten times less, etc....it may RUN all the latest games but not really well. This is why I was willing to get rid of it. The last few business trips I was on I didn't use my gaming laptop for games because I couldn't run the games at max res, etc. Then in addition to all the heavier stuff (hell the power brick for those weighs about as much as an ipad) I had to carry around a zalman laptop cooler because those things start running even worse with all the heat.

Again though, you are making an ENTIRELY false comparison. You're trying to compare a ferarri to a gas efficient city car, for example. Each one is going to benefit someone differently...and some people may want both. Just because the ferrari does more doesn't mean its the best choice for people.

When I want to game, I do it at home on my gaming rig or ps3. This ipad is not a substitute for either. Its a light, long lasting, superb display, small fun simple games, movie player, ereader, etc.

M

Matth3w

This is my last post in this thread. Some people will just never get it. Others will just be adamant because it is apple (I used to be that way) that it sucks etc.

I don't think this destroys the android like the op does.

But if you understand the uses for this device, you can appreciate it. If you're one of the ones comparing this to desktops, laptops,consoles, psps, you're still clueless about the intended purpose. Anyone that "gets it" wouldn't even dream of making those comparisons.

M

Matth3w

Oh, lastly...I don't expect any ********** that makes his username smokiedabong to be able to comprehend anything let alone business models and advertising...as well as intended markets.

Mod Edit: Cut the name calling matth3w. You know better.

Last edited by a moderator:

smokiedabong

Reaction score
The iPad's battery gets 10 hrs or 6 hrs under heavy use , the battery of M11x gets 8.5 hrs , so I don't see how this is "lastin about ten times less" . I thought I heard full HD resolution , high settings at over 30 FPS for the latest titles . And at 11" it feels damn portable to me .

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Oh, lastly...I don't expect any ********* that makes his username smokiedabong to be able to comprehend anything let alone business models and advertising...as well as intended markets.

Clearly you got it , hence the conclusion "iPAD ruins Android's chances if you ask me..."

Last edited by a moderator:

NVash

Reaction score
This is my last post in this thread. Some people will just never get it. Others will just be adamant because it is apple (I used to be that way) that it sucks etc.

I don't think this destroys the android like the op does.

But if you understand the uses for this device, you can appreciate it. If you're one of the ones comparing this to desktops, laptops,consoles, psps, you're still clueless about the intended purpose. Anyone that "gets it" wouldn't even dream of making those comparisons.
I have no idea why in the World mess always gets this serious. Its just a web forum. My gosh people cant have opinions? I didnt read the last thirteen pages but I get the gist of this already.

Look, thing is this. People are saying the same thing they said about the N-Gage. Why am I paying so much for this iPad WITH ITS RESTRICTIONS, whichever they may be, when I can get so much more for half the price. You say its great for gaming. They say get a PSP. Thats $300 LESS. Again, the only reason Id buy this is not gaming, Id buy it for the book reader. From what I read it blows Kindle out of the water, not saying that took much work. You talk about the internet. $500 to browse the internet? My girlfriend just bought a brand new laptop with Windows 7 that can do everything the iPad can and more for $400. Come on man, stop getting on the offensive.

Im not trying to insult you, Im not out for blood or anything like that. You seem like a cool dude. IMHO, you have money and make it obvious. No one has money to splurge on two iPads. Heck, I couldnt even afford my Droid, it was a birthday present. As I said, I know a man who got the iPad. He let me toy with it for awhile and he told me exactly what Im saying here, its only good for reading comics and books. Who in the World would carry that iPad everywhere? You maybe. He honestly looked like someone who realizes he just blew $500 and was feeling real stupid. You, on the other hand, are grasping at straws trying to justify it.

Point is I think people want much more bang for their buck, and $500 is entirely too much for the few things this overgrown iTouch can do. Especially seeing these other tablets that are coming out, Apple needs to step its game up. And no, Im not an Apple hater. I have a Macbook and think theyre seriously overrated and overpriced, but Im not a hater. I have an iPod Classic and iTouch, theyve served me well and I enjoy them. I just think the iPad was one of the dumbest and most overpriced ideas Ive ever seen.