Insurance on a phone bought off craigslist? Did the rep mess up?

crspyjohn

Reaction score
I bought a Droid from someone off craigslist about a month ago. When I switched the phone over to my line, I asked for insurance but they said I was not eligible. I just called in again and asked for insurance (added the phone about 15 days ago) and the rep added the $6 a month plan with no problems. Now did she make a mistake and the plan won't get added or did verizons policy change?

If the insurance got added I'll be happy because I plan on selling my upgrade phone in june if that's the case.

Kevinb84

Reaction score
I believe insurance can be added to a line regardless of how long it has been since the purchase of the phone. Now whether Asurion will actually honor this is a different story.

For example, say I opened your account to see if you currently have insurance. If you do not, I believe our system won't technically prohibit me from adding the feature even though it has been past the 30 days. So although you may technically be paying for it, Asurion probably will not honor it unless the phone was not active on another account prior to your purchase.

I'm in no way telling you not to try, just telling you how it could possibly end up.

OP
C

crspyjohn

Reaction score
Really? Can anyone confirm this or should I call them again?

OP
C

crspyjohn

Reaction score
I will be calling verizon/asurion tomorrow. I do not want to be paying a extra $6 a month if I can't even use it.

Last edited:

koralyne

Reaction score
i highly doubt they will honor it. logic from what i can understand says that they give you insurance if they give you the phone. if you buy the phone from somewhere else, they dont know if something happened to the phone, or if the other guy modified or tinkered with it. personally, i'd only cover that phone if i gave it to you directly.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
If you're paying the $6/month they can't refuse to honor it without refunding your dues. They are obligated to provide service if they have already charged you for it.

If they refused me they'd end up with one helluva headache customer until I got my way or they refunded every bit of the $6/month since I activated it on that phone.

OP
C

crspyjohn

Reaction score
If you're paying the $6/month they can't refuse to honor it without refunding your dues. They are obligated to provide service if they have already charged you for it.

If they refused me they'd end up with one helluva headache customer until I got my way or they refunded every bit of the $6/month since I activated it on that phone.

ya that's what I'm thinking. I'm going to call them later about it. On my phone it shows WPP ADVANCED DEVICES. I just canceled it and will just use my upgrade in may and get insurance on that phone. The droid is a damn brick.

Last edited:

joseg3340

Reaction score
i have done this before if you had insurance before you got the droid it will stay on since it follows the number not the phone and Asurion should honor it. i have gotten used phones before and added to my account then later that day call Asurion to get it replaced for a new one

OP
C

crspyjohn

Reaction score
just saw it on slickdeals and added my insurance :)

jr313

Reaction score
no they wont honor it i had a g1 that i bought off of craigslist and had insurance already from another phone on my line i ended up bricking it and when i called to see if i could claim it they said no because it was not purchased thru tmobile...i was out of luck ended up buying another one...