WWYD, Fascinate dead, no insurance :(

rightstuff

Reaction score
Got my Samsung Fascinate 6 months ago, and I LOVE that phone. Fell out of my pocket, into the toilet and now it's shot...turns on, but the screen is light blue and you can't see anything. Tried getting it repaired at a cell repair store, but it didn't work.

Anyhow, I had bought it from Target. The kid (who had just started) sold me on their "insurance", no deductible, blah blah blah. Long story short, I got screwed and it's my fault. I was in a hurry, on my lunch break, I said yeah yeah yeah, sounds great, better than Verizon insurance, I'll take that.

So now I find out that it's not insurance and won't cover me, it's more like an extended warranty that doesn't cover crap. I talked to a guy at Radio Shack, he said yeah, Target Mobile is basically a Radio Shack subsidiary, and that was not insurance, he shouldn't have told you that. Sucky thing is that I have ALWAYS carried Verizon insurance for the 7 years I've had Verizon phones before this and luckily, never had to use it.

So now I'm out an expensive phone. WWYD? I want another Fascinate. Should I buy used off eBay? Or new off eBay? New from Verizon Store (I'd rather not pay $450) I just don't want to get screwed again, and end up with a bad deal off eBay which is why I'm weary of that. I've read you need to check the ESNs with Verizon beforehand... would you have to do that if you buy from an eBay store that is in the business of selling a ton of phones?

Ugh, I am just so over this whole situation. I've been without my phone for almost a week and I need to just get one and quit thinking about it.

Sal R.

Reaction score
I've bought used phones off my local Craigslist. Met at a local VZW, activated it to make the ESN was good and then paid the guy.

No activation, no sale.

skipbl92

Reaction score
In regards to insurance through Verizon. 5.99 a month + $50 deductible is a bit ridiculous. I ended up insuring through State Farm. I pay $34 a year with zero deductible - the phone @ regular price had to be $500+. I have the OG Droid (regular price was $599 when I got it).

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

chuckz28

Reaction score
I'd def. Go the craigslist route. Fascinates go as low as 150 in my area and average 200. Not much more than your deductible would have been.

OP
R

rightstuff

Reaction score
thanks everyone. I didn't think about this before, but my husband and I had a third line added a few months ago when we switched our landline number to Verizon. We used my husbands old LG for that number and my DH got a Droid X. Anyway, since we used the old phone, that line wasn't under contract. So they upgraded that line so I could get my Fascinate back for the $200.

I am so happy to have my phone back!dancedroid
Now to get it back to they way I had it!