Insurance and replacing a Droid

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
Dropped my Droid last night and killed it with a tiny screen crack.

It's insured, so I'm headed to Verizon when they open.

Does anyone know if they will give me a new phone or if I will have to wait for it to be shipped?

Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Does anyone know if they will give me a new phone or if I will have to wait for it to be shipped?

Thanks!

Maybe. You have to do it through Assurion, that's where your insurance lies.

Have you had the phone for 30 days? Because I believe there is a 30 day waiting period on new phones. If so you might try taking it to Verizon and see if they can help you.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't even bother wasting the gas to go to VZW. If it is an insurance claim, it's handled through Asurion. They will overnight you a replacement one.

OP
J

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
Thanks, Guys! I've had it for over 4 months, so it's going to be an insurance claim. But it's good to know that if it were within the 30 day window, there would be other options.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

Maybe. You have to do it through Assurion, that's where your insurance lies.

Have you had the phone for 30 days? Because I believe there is a 30 day waiting period on new phones. If so you might try taking it to Verizon and see if they can help you.
'
If the phone is physically/water damaged within 30 days, it is still an insurance claim so that wouldn't apply. It would be like buying a car and returning it within 30 days because you hit a tree with it. It's not a defect with the engine, it's a defect that insurance will have to pay for because of hitting the tree.

OP
J

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
Filed my claim and the new phone will be here on Monday. I guess they don't overnight for weekend delivery.

qat

Reaction score
Filed my claim and the new phone will be here on Monday. I guess they don't overnight for weekend delivery.

Well, they will probably still overnight it, but if they put it in the mail at 10AM today, it won't leave the postal station until tomorrow morning. No delivery on Sundays, so Monday it is!

My local VZW store will ship out damaged VZW phones for you if you bring it in. The only problem then is you're on their time schedule. Do most places not do this? (I understand why, but just curious)

OP
J

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
Verizon might ship it out. I just figured if it had to go through Assurion, I'd be better off to just file the claim. Assurion will send me a pre-paid envelope with my new phone to return the damaged one to them. Seems easy enough.

And thank goodness I was able to file the claim online, as my cell is my only phone!

OP
J

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
Wanted to update on the insurance claim.

Got my replacement Droid on Monday morning, as expected. Phone is great!

However, I was not able to activate it on my own and had to go the Verizon Store for them to activate it for me. Verizon didn't explain why that occurred, but did get me all set up in a few minutes, with all my old data transferred to new phone.

Replacement came with battery, battery door and wall charger. Verizon said to send back my old phone, old wall charger, old battery, and old battery door.

Very easy to do that as Asurion sends you a prepaid envelope for this purpose.

Can't complain! Process was very smooth and the new phone is perfect!

CBLJazz

Reaction score
just did one

Thanks!

placed my claim on saturday and had my new phone monday by 12noon through asurion.
$89 bucks

Last edited:

littlerick

Reaction score
i thought you keep the battery and charger with a insurance claim atleast thats what it said with my wifes phone