Info about Data Drops

Scribble

Reaction score
Huh... Not sure if people have already posted this or not.

This Is Why Your Verizon Galaxy Nexus (Or Other 4G LTE VZW Phone) Is Losing Its Data Connection
The jist is that apparently the data drops are in fact Verizon's fault. They decided to use a new way to authenticate whether or not we should have data that's the same between 3g and 4g but they are failing to authenticate and kicking us off. Some phones handle a bad authentication more quickly, and some just go into battery saving mode and stop so you never recover until you reboot/re-authenticate.

So I guess we can stop being angry at Moto and start being angry at Verizon.

jughead75

Reaction score
Huh... Not sure if people have already posted this or not.

This Is Why Your Verizon Galaxy Nexus (Or Other 4G LTE VZW Phone) Is Losing Its Data Connection
The jist is that apparently the data drops are in fact Verizon's fault. They decided to use a new way to authenticate whether or not we should have data that's the same between 3g and 4g but they are failing to authenticate and kicking us off. Some phones handle a bad authentication more quickly, and some just go into battery saving mode and stop so you never recover until you reboot/re-authenticate.

So I guess we can stop being angry at Moto and start being angry at Verizon.

I found an article that explains what you summarized so well.

They better have a fix before 2014...............

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
very interesting - thanks for sharing... makes a lot of sense too

OP
S

Scribble

Reaction score
I found an article that explains what you summarized so well.

They better have a fix before 2014...............

Yes... that's the article I linked to. :p

I agree with your statement... No fix before 2014 would be pretty insane. But man... Oh how AT&T would love to see that.. They would be able to "get even" for all the time people said how much better Verizon't coverage was. :p

This also makes me wonder: for those of you still having big issues with data drops, are you using the battery saving modes at all? Or any other battery saving apps? I don't have a lot of drops (knock on wood) so I wonder if the reason that I don't use the battery saving modes helps. (IE it doesn't stop trying to authenticate as much.)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I also wonder how AT&T's LTE will perform along these lines...

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
It does make sense.

I wonder if this authenticating is on the local level. I mean, I don't have a problem, but that's because of where I am and not my particular phone. If I were to go where a person who is having data problems and stand next to them while they have no data, would I have the same problem?

This also makes me wonder: for those of you still having big issues with data drops, are you using the battery saving modes at all? Or any other battery saving apps? I don't have a lot of drops (knock on wood) so I wonder if the reason that I don't use the battery saving modes helps. (IE it doesn't stop trying to authenticate as much.)

I don't know about that; I have Juice Defender and I don't have the data drops.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Nice find. I guess it's expected stuff like this will happen in a new network. Hopefully they'll resolve it soon.

big al

Reaction score
Yes Verizon we can hear you now, but we cant text or email you now. GET IT FIXED NOW! stop worrying about expanding your 4G empire just so it looks good on a map. Fix what is broken.:angry:

ripper2860

Reaction score
Explains a whole lot and validates the "It's the Network" theory. If it was Moto then VZ would most certainly have done something about it rather than take the hit on their network's reputation.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Yes... that's the article I linked to. :p

I agree with your statement... No fix before 2014 would be pretty insane. But man... Oh how AT&T would love to see that.. They would be able to "get even" for all the time people said how much better Verizon't coverage was. :p

Makes me glad that I have a removable, extended life battery :icon_ lala:

rduckwor

Reaction score
Interesting. I live in a very strong 4 G area and never have an issue at home. On the road occasionally I hiccup. I have the battery set for max handset performance, no battery saving.

RMD

dbord

Reaction score
Funny how before the recent update to my Bionic I had very few data drops, maybe one or two a week. Now with the update I'm having five to ten data drops a day. I agree if this isn't fixed by Oct. 2013 it's bye bye Verizon!!

elidukart

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this but when my Bionic looses data and says searching for service I can still make phone calls/text and use data like it still has service. It is really weird but if I can still use my phone like normal it doesn't bother me that is says it has lost service.