Incredible Offer - Opinions

snarkpuppy

Reaction score
Hi. After my sixth Motorola Droid replacement [this morning, my power button decided that it would no longer operate to put the device in standby or bring up the power menu], VZW offered me the opportunity to get an Incredible for free (or another replacement Droid).

I really like my Droid (despite the multiple replacements), running jRummy's Pink theme (or whatever I want) and from reading the forums I understand that the Incredible is difficult to root and is not being updated to FroYo as quickly as one might hope. Am I correct?

In any case, around 8PM, the power button started to work again - now I'm stuck with a big issue: keep the rooted droid and ship the incredible back, or ship the droid back and keep the incredible. I'd like people's opinions because I'm really torn (especially because this is "my" droid, with all my customizations and I will have to reset all my email accounts AGAIN, sigh).

Any help is appreciated!

cpjr

Reaction score
I switched from the Droid to the Incredible. For me, I like the Incredible better overall, but its not as customizable yet, as there just isnt that many ROMs and such out yet.

I did like the build quality better on the Droid (Motorola in general has good build quality).

And its not that hard to root the incredible, IMHO.

OP
S

snarkpuppy

Reaction score
And its not that hard to root the incredible, IMHO.

I guess I'm just seeing how easy it was with the various ROMs/ROM Manager. I didn't have to touch ADB or anything. :)

If I do decide to keep the incredible, I hope the ROM community is going to be as active as they have been with the MotoDroid.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think I'd ask if you can trade it for the X in a couple of weeks instead.

The best people to ask would be those with incs that had droids before. I've handled a couple of friend's incredibles, and feel I'm better off with the droid. The camera is way better on the inc. Everything else I've seen I've been happier with the droid but I only have about 30-an hour of playtime on the inc. Bummer you've had so many issues though.

OP
S

snarkpuppy

Reaction score
I think I'd ask if you can trade it for the X in a couple of weeks instead.

That was the first question I asked - the manager at the Verizon store said "no, this is a one shot deal and it's my discretion." (Conceivably I could try my luck at a different VZW store.)

The best people to ask would be those with incs that had droids before. I've handled a couple of friend's incredibles, and feel I'm better off with the droid. The camera is way better on the inc. Everything else I've seen I've been happier with the droid but I only have about 30-an hour of playtime on the inc. Bummer you've had so many issues though.

Droid 1 (release day): DOA
Droid 2 (release day, three hours later): Died an hour after that
Droid 3: Camera didn't work - at all (not even the camera bug)
Droid 4: Unfortunate end but was replaced by former employer
Droid 5: No signal...anywhere.
Droid 6: Current droid - power button acting funky

I really do like the Motorola Droid. I'm actually wondering if I could make it to the 15th and try this again for the Droid X. We'll see.

Last edited:
OP
S

snarkpuppy

Reaction score
I would think after the sixth one they would give you a new one and not a refurb.:icon_eek:

You'd think - VZW tech guy said they no longer have this policy. They'll give you a different model, but they won't give you a new phone.

Serialkilla

Reaction score
I had the Droid first,and I absolutely loved it. I upgraded to the Incredible,and I have to say, I love it so much more. It took a bit getting used to,as it is a little bit different,but after 3 days or so - I was all Incredible, all the way. Even like the HTCSenseUI. It's all a matter of personal prefference in the end, but IMO,Incredible is the way to go.
The ROM manager works for it now,and there are a few ROMs available, and I know of a few in the works too. Now that we are rooted,and able to keep root(was an issue at first) Devs are cookin' away as we speak on new ROMs! Rooting now is also not that difficult- pretty much all the tricks have been figured out to get it rooted rather quickly. I believe we'll have tons of ROMs very soon,and Froyo too!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Id go X as well.

jmartinez06

Reaction score
I want to know more. Can you explain what and how you talked to the vw reps to have them offer a new phone? I've been having problems with calls which don't go away iuntil I restart

OP
S

snarkpuppy

Reaction score
I want to know more. Can you explain what and how you talked to the vw reps to have them offer a new phone? I've been having problems with calls which don't go away iuntil I restart

The current Droid is my sixth one. If you haven't done one exchange, bring your phone (and UNROOT or at least put a stock OS on it) to VZW and ask to warranty replace the phone.

This was on their own initiative - while I know that my account has (allegedly) "VIP Status," I went in asking for another replacement Motorola Droid. The tech guy looked at the account, noticed that this would be my 7th Droid, talked to the manager, and made the offer.

thelion

Reaction score
Droid #8 here.

1. Phone was constantly muted
2-5 Would freeze up after about 10 minutes on a call (no apps on phones)
6. No signal, at all, anywhere
7. Muted issue again AND freezing issue
8. We are seeing some freezing issues.

VZW is now assuring me it may just be my area. Something about a weak data signal causing significant response delays.

They have "offered" to waive my restock fee and let me exchange for the X when she launches. Here's hoping...

tktouch12

Reaction score
thats a lot of droids. i wish they gave me that choice. i would definately go for the incredible. its faster, lighter, has sense, has more memory, and ya, what else do you need? the droid has a keyboard, but if the upgrade to incredible is free, i'd take it.

jmartinez06

Reaction score
Droid #8 here.

1. Phone was constantly muted
2-5 Would freeze up after about 10 minutes on a call (no apps on phones)
6. No signal, at all, anywhere
7. Muted issue again AND freezing issue
8. We are seeing some freezing issues.

VZW is now assuring me it may just be my area. Something about a weak data signal causing significant response delays.

They have "offered" to waive my restock fee and let me exchange for the X when she launches. Here's hoping...

I'm on my third cuz of the power buttons and calls, quick question for you. Did u go to the store or did u call them? I called them and they're sending me a new one. How did you go about it if you don't mind me asking?

Toe_Cutter

Reaction score
While I'm completely new to the forum and I've never owned a Moto Droid, I did just receive my new Droid Incredible and have thoroughly impressed with it.

I've owned several Motorola phones and countless HTC phones and with all things being equal, would take the HTC over a Moto every time.

I can't tell you how many Razr's, Moto Q's etc, that I've thrown away due to flaky build quality. Conversely, I still have several old HTC WM6 phones and even a SE Xperia X1 (also running Android ;-)

This is why I chose the Droid Incredible as my first Android phone.

I think it's the most attractive Android phone available. The Droid X looks nice too, but I think the Incredible's screen will blow the DX's away. If you haven't seen that AMOLED screen, you simply can't see what your missing vs. a standard LCD. It exceeded my lofty expectations to moment I turned it on.

The DX does have a HUGE display, and I'm sure it'll be super easy to touch type on. I don't think we'll be seeing any large AMOLED's anytime soon, considering the issues Samsung has had fulfilling orders.

That's just my opinion. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either, but the Incredible does have that sweet, albeit smaller, screen.

DISCLAIMER: I just realized that there's also a Droid Incredible sub-forum and I don't want to start a "my phone's better than yours" flame war here, by posting on the Droid sub-forum. I was simply commenting on the topic of likely candidates for exchanging the Moto Droid mentioned in the first post.

Last edited: