Incredible 3g or wait?

hfx

Reaction score
Hey guys, I can usually research technology and come to a conclusion but wanted opinions. I'm thinking of just going with an Incredible cuz I'm under the impression the technology hasn't made that great of a leap so far and I won't have 4g coverage where I am for a while probably. If those assumptions make sense, the only other option would be to wait for the iphone. Suggestions? Thanks!!

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
IF you're sure 4G isn't coming then it's an easier decision (double check with a local corporate store). With that said new '4G' devices will still be backwards compatible (i.e. will work on 3g) so waiting to get a better device (i.e. better processor, more mem, ~display, and NEWER version of Android) would IMO be a reason to wait. That way if/when 4G does hit you're ready w/o having to upgrade.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
Never wait. Get a family plan, a new phone and keep your old phone for the next best and greatest. Costs and extra 30 a mo unless you have a "real phone" that you like and will only replace should it die. I have had a Casio flip phone for about 6 years or longer. I just use the renewal on it to get my smart phone. They flip flop so that you are always eligible for upgrade on one or the other.

Reefdiver

Reaction score
I have an incredible and a Droid 2 Global and I would say go with the Droid 2 Global. The Samsung Fascinate is pretty cool too.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Given the choice between going to an Incredible versus an iPhone I'd get the Inc now on a 1-year contract. The Inc is a nice enough phone (and it's not an iPhone -- I HATE iTunes), easily rootable and tweakable, with a great support base here and elsewhere, and the 1-year contract will cost you $70 more than the 2-year but means you can swap out after a year without any problems. :)

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Great point, whatever you get really consider the 1-yr contract if you can swing the $70. My OG Droid is the first phone I've ever had last more than a year so I'll def be switching to 1-yr whenever I upgrade. I wish we could get rid of the contracts all together (I know, you don't have to get one but that's another topic....)

one_nine

Reaction score
just to clarify, when you say an extra $70, you mean over the life of the contract correct? not an extra $70 every month i hope.

i'm in a similar situation where i was waiting for the now named thunderbolt, but given the expected post march release date, have decided enoughs enough and will just nab an x and 1 year pricing such that hopefully i'm in a good position for my next phone rather than waiting months and months for something to release while i have this crappy bb curve.

Beka27

Reaction score
You pay an extra $70 (approximately) upfront. So instead of your subsidized price being $199 with mail-in rebate, it is $269 with mail-in rebate. The extra $70 is well worth being able to upgrade after only 10 months instead of 20 months!!!

one_nine

Reaction score
agreed. this is part of what's changing on the 16th correct? that's why i want to lock in a new phone now instead of continually waiting for the next big thing and especially do it before the 16th. given that the x (or incredible) will relatively speaking be "obsolete" once the 4g phones start rolling out in 2+ months, $70 for 1 year pricing is extremely attractive.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint