2011 Verizon Droid Phones: The 3G & 4G

Infamous

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

First post here, and I just want to say that I am loving the droid phones. I've owned the first iPhone and iPhone 3g, but AT&Ts service sucks, so I switched to Verizon. I got the Samsung Glyde (Horrible phone!), and my 2 year contract is almost over (Thank God!)

I'm going to be upgrading my phone this year (I can do it now, but I'm waiting), and I'm strongly considering a Droid.

I love the Droid X, the voice-to-text, turn by turn navigation, 4.3 screen, hdmi out, I just love it. But then I read this:

DROID 2 and X Pegged for March 2011 “End of Life” Status - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Both the Droid X and Droid Incredible are being discontinued on 03.31.11.

So, with that said, I'm having 2nd thoughts on the Droid X.

When it comes to 4G phones, I want the Droid Bionic (Video Chat w/o wifi? I'm so there!), but then I'm hearing the 4G data plan is going to be $50 a month (Whereas 3G data plan is $30 a month), so thats a reason as to why i won't be getting it. (Also, my girlfriend doesn't want a smart phone, so I would have no one to video chat with, so whats the point in getting it?)

This leads to my question. Will the Droid Bionic be available to use with a 3G data plan ($30 a month), instead of using it with a 4G data plan ($50 a month)?

If not, what 3G Droid phones are being released this year by Motorola and HTC?

Verizon has shown us 10 4G phones at CES this year, and I'm worried that their smart phone line up is going to be just 4G phones with this huge data plan, and no more 3G phones.

Any thoughts on this?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
How soon is soon? If I were you I would wait it out a bit and see when those 4g devices come out if you're really looking to get one.

As for 3g devices I have no idea what's coming out. CES news is still going around so check out some articles and news from there.

Sent from Droid Incredible via Droidforums app

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
The 4g will be backwards compatible to cdma i believe so 4g phones will run 3g. Thus any future phone for VZ will be a 3g phone.... Also pricing for 4g isnt out yet so im not sure where you heard the $50. Rumor is that tiered pricing is what will happen. I wouldnt get the x yet, id wait for the dual core. If we are locked in for 20months you dont want an instantly outdated phone if that date you gave is right.