In a world of doesn't... droid ALSO DOESN'T

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfwdroid

Reaction score
A lot of things that you don't like just simply don't appy or have fixes.

1. Doesn't display 95% of PDF attachments in default E-Mail (not G-Mail) program. [k-9 does] Neither does your computer. Do a fresh install of Windows and see if you can open PDF documents.
  2. Doesn't display many embedded pictures in G-Mail. I hit show pictures and I have no issues.
  3. Doesn't let you empty your G-Mail trash. It appears to work, but when I log into my G-Mail on PC, items are all still in trash. Go to menu > settings > labels > junk email and set it to sync. It's that way by default to keep you from deleting things you need. The equivalent of "keep a copy of messages on the server" in Outlook.
  4. Doesn't have any flash support yet. That has nothing to do with the Droid, Motorola, or Google. That has to do with Adobe. Name me all the phones that can support Flash full right now. Not many. The update is coming after we get 2.1.
  5. Doesn't allow incoming conference calling. If I am on the phone with someone, and someone else calls me on call waiting, I can't merge the two calls together to allow all three people to talk together on one call. Can do this for outgoing, just not incoming. I have no idea about this one. Doesn't mean there isn't a way, I just don't use it.
  6. Doesn't have a calendar widgit that auto refreshes. (mine stays on one dat until I reboot the phone, which I don't feel like doing every day) I never used the stock widgets because there are literally like 20 replacements out there that are amazing. Pure Calendar Widget is seriously like a buck or two and is awesome. The phone comes stripped bare so that users can customize it. This way someone can spend the equivalent of a candy bar and get the exact app that they want (and many are free).
  7. Doesn't have a long enough USB cord. Come on, this is pretty nitpicky. I know the Droid has some flaws, but this isn't one of them. You can get a cable for 99 cents online if you absolutely have to have a longer cable.
  8. Doesn't have Mini USB socket like most previous Moto phones. (Droid has micro) I don't really know how this is a flaw, but ok.
  9. Doesn't have an "out of the box" solution for syncing Microsoft Outlook items (contacts, calendar, notes, tasks) for users who are not in an exchange environment.This isn't really marketed as a business phone, and furthermore it's a Google phone...they want you to use GMail. I know this isn't a solution, and I hear you...but many phones do not run Outlook. There is also the issue with MS being content to let X phone do whatever with their software.
  10. Doesn't have a way to clear Android Market search history. Why does there need to be a reason to?
  11. Doesn't vibrate when using the silence feature on screen lock. There is a mod for this...but the default sound profiles is my main complaint about this phone. So I agree with this to an extent.
  12. Doesn't have easy global volume control. The volume control is meant to be used in whatever you are currently doing at the moment. You can download Quick Profiles for free that solves 99% of this for you.
  13. Doesn't pick up sound very well while recording video. I haven't had any issues...but then again I realize this is a) not a digital camera and b) not a digital camcorder.
  14. Doesn't support many MPEG video files. (need to convert to MP4) I haven't tried but I suspect this has to do with codecs if it is indeed a problem.
  15. Doesn't have stock multi touch features It will with upcoming updates and it can also be done with mods.
  16. Doesn't filter free apps / games on search in market What are you talking about? There is a paid tab and free tab. Or are you referring to keywords?
  17. Doesn't switch home screen to landscape when rotated. Mods can do this.
  18. Doesn't work with my bluetooth as nicely (clearly) as my Moto Razr did. Use mine all the time, no issues.
  19. Doesn't have a stylus. (most cases not needed, but sometimes it would be great) Why would it come with a stylus? How many touch screen smart phones come with a stylus? And they would have to increase the cost of the phone to support a capacitive touch stylus which 99% of users wouldn't use. And the phone isn't designed to have a stylus. Where would you put it? In your pocket? How many users would want that?
  20. Doesn't have an app to create / edit word or excel docs. I'm sorry but this is by far the worst complaint. Name one single device, whether it be a computer, laptop, netbook, or cell phone, that comes pre-installed with a copyrighted program that allows you to edit these types of documents for free. Again, why would they add this to a device that would raise the price when most people wouldn't use it. If you really want this feature, download Documents to Go for 10 bucks.

thanks Matth3w for answering :)

zathus

Reaction score
lol comon. I know the droid is lacking in some things but wow this was a bit much. the stylus one made me laugh the most. its not a PDA or a Nintendo DS. the point of these smart touch screen phones was so you DONT have to use a stylus. interesting post =P

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
A lot of things that you don't like just simply don't appy or have fixes.

1. Doesn't let you empty your G-Mail trash. It appears to work, but when I log into my G-Mail on PC, items are all still in trash. Go to menu > settings > labels > junk email and set it to sync. It's that way by default to keep you from deleting things you need. The equivalent of "keep a copy of messages on the server" in Outlook.

Not trying to go off topic, but I don't see "Junk Email" in the labels. How do you add that?

BzB

Reaction score
21. doesn't keep the "boys" warm in the winter.
22. doesn't keep the "boys" cool during the summer
23. doesn't pay my tab at the pub
24. doesn't do my taxes for me
25. doesn't predict winning lotto numbers

now that i think of it... wth was google, moto, vzw thinking with the whole droid does campaign!?

lol

Woork

Reaction score
OP -

Sounds like you might've built up your expectations a little too much without tempering them with research. I hope you find answers that address some of your questions, but please consider posting a little more neutrally next time. It's nice that you prefaced by saying that you weren't trying to be negative, but nitpicking the length of the USB cord kinda flies in the face of that.

Best of luck, I hope the phone works out for you.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
refer to the last 45 secs........but to the forum like dude said at the end. "that's it mans taken enough of a beatin"
[video=youtube;_2J3GxFYFdg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2J3GxFYFdg&feature=related[/video]

3:07

cosmonaut

Reaction score
Ok, trying not to be too negative here...

I have had the Moto Droid for 1.5 weeks now. Running 2.0.1.

I have noticed that Droid does not do the following (or do the following correctly)

1. Doesn't display 95% of PDF attachments in default E-Mail (not G-Mail) program. [k-9 does]
  2. Doesn't display many embedded pictures in G-Mail.
  3. Doesn't let you empty your G-Mail trash. It appears to work, but when I log into my G-Mail on PC, items are all still in trash.
  4. Doesn't have any flash support yet.
  5. Doesn't allow incoming conference calling. If I am on the phone with someone, and someone else calls me on call waiting, I can't merge the two calls together to allow all three people to talk together on one call. Can do this for outgoing, just not incoming.
  6. Doesn't have a calendar widgit that auto refreshes. (mine stays on one dat until I reboot the phone, which I don't feel like doing every day)
  7. Doesn't have a long enough USB cord.
  8. Doesn't have Mini USB socket like most previous Moto phones. (Droid has micro)
  9. Doesn't have an "out of the box" solution for syncing Microsoft Outlook items (contacts, calendar, notes, tasks) for users who are not in an exchange environment.
  10. Doesn't have a way to clear Android Market search history.
  11. Doesn't vibrate when using the silence feature on screen lock.
  12. Doesn't have easy global volume control.
  13. Doesn't pick up sound very well while recording video.
  14. Doesn't support many MPEG video files. (need to convert to MP4)
  15. Doesn't have stock multi touch features
  16. Doesn't filter free apps / games on search in market
  17. Doesn't switch home screen to landscape when rotated.
  18. Doesn't work with my bluetooth as nicely (clearly) as my Moto Razr did.
  19. Doesn't have a stylus. (most cases not needed, but sometimes it would be great)
  20. Doesn't have an app to create / edit word or excel docs.
Anyway, Like I said, I'm not trying to be too negative, and I do love the phone, I just wish the stuff I mention above was included "out of the box".

I know the market has tons of custom apps, but Paying the money for the phone, the accessories, the voice plan, the data plan, I don't find it necessary to have to pay money to install apps that the phone should have included in the first place.

I have found some free apps to cater to some of my needs, but not all of my needs. I think Google kinda left out the "corporate world" in their thoughts when writing the Android software, and developing the phone.

If anyone out there has found solutions or work arounds to any of the things I mentioned, please share.

Are you that guy on the AT&T commercials? I do know this. In my area AT&T coverage sux. Verizon has AT&T beat across the board. My work partner is still AT&T and he drops calls all day. I know the iphone is a great phone. But I wouldn't trade back for the bad service alone. By the way, I was an AT&T customer for 10 years. I held fast with them through the sloppy coverage when they first went GSM or what ever it was. Hoping for years the coverage would get better and finally give up and jumped ship. I have never been happier with the coverage. You can have the best and fastest phones on the market but if the coverage isn't there you just got an expensive MP3 player.

cosmonaut

Reaction score
I have had my Droid for about a month and besides figuring out how to use it I have had no issues but remember It's a Droid not an Iphone. If you want an Iphone buy one. I have owned two Itouches and give both away because I didn't like them. I am sure the Iphone is a great phone. I think comparing the two is unfair. Google has been beat down for years and only get's bigger. They must be doing something right.

RosarioM

Reaction score
To the OP. If you don't like the phone, return it. It's just a phone. You will not be able to find a phone to meet everything you need. You will have to make some compromises, but that's the same thing you do with everything you buy. I bet you can make a similar list with the last consumer electronic device you purchased before the Droid.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
droid dont .....what ????? Come on OP you getting killed out here, just dust yourself off and try to explain yourself more. Think you tripped coming out of the batter's box
[video=youtube;7v4rvAbBLVU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v4rvAbBLVU[/video]

BradDroid

Reaction score
You guys want a bunch of bloat in the OS? seems silly. Id rather most things be apps on the market, then I have the option to install them or not.

Bingo. Android is all about choice. Hence the advertising campaign Droid Does.

Status
Not open for further replies.