In a world of doesn't... droid ALSO DOESN'T

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueFangz

Reaction score
Ok, trying not to be too negative here...

I have had the Moto Droid for 1.5 weeks now. Running 2.0.1.

I have noticed that Droid does not do the following (or do the following correctly)

1. Doesn't display 95% of PDF attachments in default E-Mail (not G-Mail) program. [k-9 does]
  2. Doesn't display many embedded pictures in G-Mail.
  3. Doesn't let you empty your G-Mail trash. It appears to work, but when I log into my G-Mail on PC, items are all still in trash.
  4. Doesn't have any flash support yet.
  5. Doesn't allow incoming conference calling. If I am on the phone with someone, and someone else calls me on call waiting, I can't merge the two calls together to allow all three people to talk together on one call. Can do this for outgoing, just not incoming.
  6. Doesn't have a calendar widgit that auto refreshes. (mine stays on one dat until I reboot the phone, which I don't feel like doing every day)
  7. Doesn't have a long enough USB cord.
  8. Doesn't have Mini USB socket like most previous Moto phones. (Droid has micro)
  9. Doesn't have an "out of the box" solution for syncing Microsoft Outlook items (contacts, calendar, notes, tasks) for users who are not in an exchange environment.
  10. Doesn't have a way to clear Android Market search history.
  11. Doesn't vibrate when using the silence feature on screen lock.
  12. Doesn't have easy global volume control.
  13. Doesn't pick up sound very well while recording video.
  14. Doesn't support many MPEG video files. (need to convert to MP4)
  15. Doesn't have stock multi touch features
  16. Doesn't filter free apps / games on search in market
  17. Doesn't switch home screen to landscape when rotated.
  18. Doesn't work with my bluetooth as nicely (clearly) as my Moto Razr did.
  19. Doesn't have a stylus. (most cases not needed, but sometimes it would be great)
  20. Doesn't have an app to create / edit word or excel docs.
Anyway, Like I said, I'm not trying to be too negative, and I do love the phone, I just wish the stuff I mention above was included "out of the box".

I know the market has tons of custom apps, but Paying the money for the phone, the accessories, the voice plan, the data plan, I don't find it necessary to have to pay money to install apps that the phone should have included in the first place.

I have found some free apps to cater to some of my needs, but not all of my needs. I think Google kinda left out the "corporate world" in their thoughts when writing the Android software, and developing the phone.

If anyone out there has found solutions or work arounds to any of the things I mentioned, please share.

iPirate

Reaction score
You are a clever one.

Droid doesn't wash my car and make me a sandwich!

My calendar does update on its own without rebooting!

ashkev843

Reaction score
Umm some are right some are just ignorant from not looking for it.

justbob

Reaction score
Yes, some of these are annoying... I suggest you head over to code.google.com and submit an enhancement request for each of the issues you are having. They work. They are what got us the night mode in the navigation app.

BTW, you realize you're going to catch some flack for this post, right? :popcorn:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Welcome, Interesting first post....

BTwrestle04

Reaction score
Most of the things on that list are available in the form of apps on the market. Docs2Go for excel and word docs, for instance. You are also able to search for only free apps/games by touching the options at the top and then performing a search. The Droid has a micro USB port because now it is a LAW that all cell phones are required to have the same port. All new phones should have Micro USB from here on out. Multi-Touch is coming in 2.1, or you could root and have it now and really open up the potential for your phone.

I see your argument about not wanting to pay for apps, but most of the more useful apps are like 1-3 bucks. If you cant/wont buy those apps, maybe you shouldn't have bought a $500+ cell phone. Most of the apps on the market are better than ones that motorola could have provided stock.

T

thericksonebay

i was just wondering who is to say the phone should come with all the things you mentioned. you are looking at the picture the wrong way. google brought you a phone not a computer or a mind reader. google also is trying to help the little man (the devs) to make a little money to, so if the thing your looking for does not come installed them the market proabably has them. if everything everyone wanted was already installed on the phone. the phone would be as big as a laptop or something. and alot of the things you said mine already does

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Umm some are right some are just ignorant from not looking for it.

Yep...I totally agree

In gmail there's a button close to the top of emails that have images in them that says "Show Pictures"

And there is an app to edit word, excel, powerpoint, etc. documents...

Viktor Vaughn

Reaction score
What you paid for was a phone free of "chains" with the ability to customize in whatever why you like.

Open source...go make it work.

Guchi

Reaction score
droid does actualy have some of those things and some are just *******
droid does fit in your......

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
What you paid for was a phone free of "chains" with the ability to customize in whatever why you like.

Open source...go make it work.

agreed.......some dont see the beauty of that and want it all on a platter for them

M

Matth3w

A lot of things that you don't like just simply don't appy or have fixes.

1. Doesn't display 95% of PDF attachments in default E-Mail (not G-Mail) program. [k-9 does] Neither does your computer. Do a fresh install of Windows and see if you can open PDF documents.
  2. Doesn't display many embedded pictures in G-Mail. I hit show pictures and I have no issues.
  3. Doesn't let you empty your G-Mail trash. It appears to work, but when I log into my G-Mail on PC, items are all still in trash. Go to menu > settings > labels > junk email and set it to sync. It's that way by default to keep you from deleting things you need. The equivalent of "keep a copy of messages on the server" in Outlook.
  4. Doesn't have any flash support yet. That has nothing to do with the Droid, Motorola, or Google. That has to do with Adobe. Name me all the phones that can support Flash full right now. Not many. The update is coming after we get 2.1.
  5. Doesn't allow incoming conference calling. If I am on the phone with someone, and someone else calls me on call waiting, I can't merge the two calls together to allow all three people to talk together on one call. Can do this for outgoing, just not incoming. I have no idea about this one. Doesn't mean there isn't a way, I just don't use it.
  6. Doesn't have a calendar widgit that auto refreshes. (mine stays on one dat until I reboot the phone, which I don't feel like doing every day) I never used the stock widgets because there are literally like 20 replacements out there that are amazing. Pure Calendar Widget is seriously like a buck or two and is awesome. The phone comes stripped bare so that users can customize it. This way someone can spend the equivalent of a candy bar and get the exact app that they want (and many are free).
  7. Doesn't have a long enough USB cord. Come on, this is pretty nitpicky. I know the Droid has some flaws, but this isn't one of them. You can get a cable for 99 cents online if you absolutely have to have a longer cable.
  8. Doesn't have Mini USB socket like most previous Moto phones. (Droid has micro) I don't really know how this is a flaw, but ok.
  9. Doesn't have an "out of the box" solution for syncing Microsoft Outlook items (contacts, calendar, notes, tasks) for users who are not in an exchange environment.This isn't really marketed as a business phone, and furthermore it's a Google phone...they want you to use GMail. I know this isn't a solution, and I hear you...but many phones do not run Outlook. There is also the issue with MS being content to let X phone do whatever with their software.
  10. Doesn't have a way to clear Android Market search history. Why does there need to be a reason to?
  11. Doesn't vibrate when using the silence feature on screen lock. There is a mod for this...but the default sound profiles is my main complaint about this phone. So I agree with this to an extent.
  12. Doesn't have easy global volume control. The volume control is meant to be used in whatever you are currently doing at the moment. You can download Quick Profiles for free that solves 99% of this for you.
  13. Doesn't pick up sound very well while recording video. I haven't had any issues...but then again I realize this is a) not a digital camera and b) not a digital camcorder.
  14. Doesn't support many MPEG video files. (need to convert to MP4) I haven't tried but I suspect this has to do with codecs if it is indeed a problem.
  15. Doesn't have stock multi touch features It will with upcoming updates and it can also be done with mods.
  16. Doesn't filter free apps / games on search in market What are you talking about? There is a paid tab and free tab. Or are you referring to keywords?
  17. Doesn't switch home screen to landscape when rotated. Mods can do this.
  18. Doesn't work with my bluetooth as nicely (clearly) as my Moto Razr did. Use mine all the time, no issues.
  19. Doesn't have a stylus. (most cases not needed, but sometimes it would be great) Why would it come with a stylus? How many touch screen smart phones come with a stylus? And they would have to increase the cost of the phone to support a capacitive touch stylus which 99% of users wouldn't use. And the phone isn't designed to have a stylus. Where would you put it? In your pocket? How many users would want that?
  20. Doesn't have an app to create / edit word or excel docs. I'm sorry but this is by far the worst complaint. Name one single device, whether it be a computer, laptop, netbook, or cell phone, that comes pre-installed with a copyrighted program that allows you to edit these types of documents for free. Again, why would they add this to a device that would raise the price when most people wouldn't use it. If you really want this feature, download Documents to Go for 10 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.